GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How A CVT Works

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. The tl;dr seems to be that if manufacturers wanted to, they could build CVTs for high-torque performance applications that would be faster than current dual-clutch boxes, but they don't because enthusiasts don't like the way they sound, among other things. Dunno if that's true, but the physics seem pretty legit.

donp

Ready to race!
Interesting. The tl;dr seems to be that if manufacturers wanted to, they could build CVTs for high-torque performance applications that would be faster than current dual-clutch boxes, but they don't because enthusiasts don't like the way they sound, among other things. Dunno if that's true, but the physics seem pretty legit.
That and they're completely unreliable. On top of that, they can't be rebuilt or fixed in any way. If they die, it's $5k for a new one.

donp

Ready to race!
Ask Nissan how the whole CVT thing is going. They die anywhere from 30k to 120k if you're lucky. Usually they start making a whining noise, then die shortly after. IMO, CVT's are absolute junk.

geebob

Ready to race!
How I got to a GTI.

1. Really wanted to get rid of my existing car (dealer/warranty issues.)

2. Mk7 GTI was delayed, and PP wouldn't be initially available, so another delay.

3. Local Subie dealer wasn't encouraging on a WRX.

4. Bought a '14 Altima V6 with CVT.

5. Transmission was a total friggin' disaster, Nissan wouldn't officially admit it.

6. Got the GTI I wanted initially, but 2 years later. I think my timing was perfect (not a fan of the '17) just took awhile to get there.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
CVT just doesn't seem Rock 'n Roll for gear-head purposes. Part of the addiction is feeling those gears bang away under WOT ! Which is another reason some of us are not looking forward to having a future electric VW- it will have all that instant face-peeling torque, but still feel sterile and soul-less :(

donp

Ready to race!
Did you drive one?
Sadly, yes. They didn't have a stick version at the time and I wanted a test drive. It only makes a laggy car laggier. It's slow to respond, and while it attempts to simulate a torque converter automatic by "shifting" it's simply a terrible transmission to put in a performance car. I can't imagine living with one.

IowaGTI

Ready to race!
It's slow to respond, and while it attempts to simulate a torque converter automatic by "shifting" it's simply a terrible transmission to put in a performance car. I can't imagine living with one.

Wife's car is a '15 Forester, I get the slow to respond part. The simulating shifts must be just for the WRX model as the Forester's is just smooth acceleration.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Sadly, yes. They didn't have a stick version at the time and I wanted a test drive. It only makes a laggy car laggier. It's slow to respond, and while it attempts to simulate a torque converter automatic by "shifting" it's simply a terrible transmission to put in a performance car. I can't imagine living with one.
I agree, wrong move from Subaru