GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Define "didn't work out."

To make a long story short, after it was built by Headgames it went to a 3rd party shop, where it appeared to have literally bounced around before being sent to the owner, who by that point had already had a second head built and installed.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Well, you have the PR ported head as an option.
Yeah I am not entirely convinced on it yet. I've tuned one and am awaiting a different turbo to draw a conclusion.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
At this point if I do anything significant with the head it will go to Germany to be done by NG Motorsports. Their CNC port work looks incredible and it's surprisingy affordable. Their valve work on the other hand is $$$$$.

I'm tired of throwing money at this car though, so I'm undecided. I really don't want this to turn into an $8k engine build for a wrong wheel drive car.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
At this point if I do anything significant with the head it will go to Germany to be done by NG Motorsports. Their CNC port work looks incredible and it's surprisingy affordable. Their valve work on the other hand is $$$$$.

I'm tired of throwing money at this car though, so I'm undecided. I really don't want this to turn into an $8k engine build for a wrong wheel drive car.
What do they charge?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Staying with the Vortex XL. I've been really impressed with it. A hair over 500whp SAE on a hurt motor with only 8 degrees of timing shows a lot of potential...I'd like to see that materialize.

The head I bought didn't work out so that's up in the air again.

Good to hear, I am ditching the L470 and bit the bullet on the vortex xl sale going on.

A few things to note, if getting a ported head, then i assume you would get a ported intake manifold also?

Also if this build process is well documented and cleaned up in a new post, we can sticky it if you want. I feel like it would be highly beneficial to alot of people.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
What do they charge?

To clean, port, and resurface the head is about $1500. If you want +1mm valves with a "Motorsports cut" it's about another $1000 in machine work, not including $600 for the valves.

Good to hear, I am ditching the L470 and bit the bullet on the vortex xl sale going on.

A few things to note, if getting a ported head, then i assume you would get a ported intake manifold also?

Also if this build process is well documented and cleaned up in a new post, we can sticky it if you want. I feel like it would be highly beneficial to alot of people.

I'll probably stay stock on the head, might do valves because it makes sense to upgrade with the heat the engine sees.

From here forward will be much better documented. I should do a quick summary video on engine removal, but for the most part it's self explanatory.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
To clean, port, and resurface the head is about $1500. If you want +1mm valves with a "Motorsports cut" it's about another $1000 in machine work, not including $600 for the valves.

I'll probably stay stock on the head, might do valves because it makes sense to upgrade with the heat the engine sees.

From here forward will be much better documented. I should do a quick summary video on engine removal, but for the most part it's self explanatory.

Honestly, I don't see any benefit in upgrading the intake/exhaust valves. I would do the head, out of the two.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

TRAITOR!!!

J/K... Though I am curious as to why you switched.

Also, about the intake manifold... It does seem to make sense that you would get it ported but I haven't seen anything about it and after talking to a few people about this, there's no need for it.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Honestly, I don't see any benefit in upgrading the intake/exhaust valves. I would do the head, out of the two.

I won't do +1mm valves unless my machine shop comes back at a very good rate. That's the majority of the cost (the machine work for the larger seats). Both the port work and the valves would be primarily for heat. It's a $600 upgrade to my current head for the valves and another $1500 to do the port work. Oddly I'm not trying to make more power I'm just trying to be more efficient.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened to my current engine...excessive heat, long pulls, etc. If I can make the same power at lower boost and control heat better (be more efficient) it will go a long way to keeping the built motor alive long term. At this point I have no reason to believe it was detonation that hurt the current one.

a3scott20

Ready to race!

They have an option call GOLFBALL that I am very interested in, will you do that too? Curious what will be benefited from doing that.
They have even more options and full service done at EUR 3,800- :eek:

railroader

Autocross Newbie