GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat problems on track: TECH. Read before adding an oil cooler!

skets

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Why not mount the oil cooler horizontally? Then you could reduce the frontal area of the duct and still achieve airflow to the oil cooler while maximizing airflow to the cooling stack.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I don't even have an oil cooler and I'm really feeling like my Mishimoto IC isn't cooling like it should. These cars just weren't designed to be tracked.

@MonkeyMD 's seems like one of the better samples from my other thread, though I suspect it may contribute to hurting airflow through the radiator (possible).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OmZvC_tlsmpFnLV45jxSy9Ocyry3ZaX/view?usp=drivesdk

I think the main issue is that our IC is located behind the AC condenser and everything else... mayor design flaw in my opinion for a "sports" car, just like on the S3. They fixed it for the RS3... and as far as I know all the other S RS vehicles have a FMIC, so that may be one of the problems.

On a side note, I seen a few water to air IC on MK6s, has no one tried this on the MK7? It would be way easier to use the intercooler delete brackets from ECS and fab up a mount for a big heat exchanger radiator which will nullify heat soak. This is what Nelson is doing on his 2000+ LS engines with a small water to air intercooler inside the intake manifold.

It's less than ideal, but IMO a FMIC doesn't seem to make things any better (or worse).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OmZvC_tlsmpFnLV45jxSy9Ocyry3ZaX/view?usp=drivesdk

Why not mount the oil cooler horizontally? Then you could reduce the frontal area of the duct and still achieve airflow to the oil cooler while maximizing airflow to the cooling stack.

I don't THINK there's enough room to do that, @Redslaya can probably give rough measurements. If possible it's not a bad idea at all. Perhaps a shorter + longer oil cooler would be the way to implement that, but that also comes with more pressure drop in the SLM line, and the Series 1 coolers are still min 6in wide if laid on their side.

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
As @DerHase mentioned there simply isnt space for a large enough cooler. you have maybe 4" maximum between the grill and the radiator stack.

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Just need the correct size rivets now

PXL_20230823_152417623.jpg
PXL_20230823_160323506.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230823_152417623.jpg
    PXL_20230823_152417623.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
She's on! Will be at Palmer Motorsports Park tomorrow to gather data. Not pictured is the deflector in front to help with air exiting. Had to trim the duct up to the lower mount to clear the bumper.

PXL_20230826_215852546.jpg

PXL_20230826_225724622.jpg

The engineer (and dear friend who did all this work for the low low cost of free due to his massive generosity) who designed it

PXL_20230826_215458881.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230826_215458881.jpg
    PXL_20230826_215458881.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 37

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Duct data is in!

Full report here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AaiG2RXhBkcReURETjJwsKU55Yj58Jnf/view?usp=sharing

Overall a 59% decrease in IATs (factoring min + avg + max). Peak of 65% for the min difference improvement.

It's important to know that because this is a different track, cooling system and oil temps etc are completely irrelevant. You can see the big difference in average TPS %. Palmer just isn't that hard on these cars from the looks of it. Coolant temp evaluation will have to take place back at VIR.

IATs on the other hand all seem to fall within a pretty typical range if you browse the data from the other thread. Generally min around 10-15F, average 18-25F almost regardless of setup (as long as you don't have an oil cooler installed...). Max IAT I really don't put a lot of weight to personally, but that is comparable as well. Basically they are comparable regardless of track/ambient temp/driver skill/etc.

Onto the data: I included a full session snapshot of the original VIR log and this one - so you can see how the intercooler was continuing to heatsoak worse and worse as time goes on. I'm frankly surprised that anybody can install an oil cooler there and NOT notice that they made their car slower. (bUt BrO, TrUsT mE bRo!)

Full session data for reference:
1693273308945.png

200 Sec snapshot (same as what I typically do with the other report for temps in general):
1693273332107.png

Final pics of the metal duct installed (minus the small flap on the leading edge that @Redslaya added):
1693273449065.png

Last edited:

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
As promised here are the links to the files, notes, and license. You are free to use, modify, adapt, or pretty much do whatever you want with them provided you do not commercialize the files or any derivative. These are public to help the community, not make a buck.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OXTLfGwV5XB--qQ17hhDEKUmlWLXUMwE?usp=drive_link

0.063" 5052 Aluminum is recommended. I had them made through https://sendcutsend.com/ and it cost about $95 cut, bent, deburred, and shipped (as of 08/23).

uses 3/32 x 1/4 rivets to attach the pieces together.

Last edited:

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
As promised here are the links to the files, notes, and license. You are free to use, modify, adapt, or pretty much do whatever you want with them provided you do not commercialize the files or any derivative. These are public to help the community, not make a buck.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OXTLfGwV5XB--qQ17hhDEKUmlWLXUMwE?usp=drive_link

0.063" 5052 Aluminum is recommended. I had them made through https://sendcutsend.com/ and it cost about $95 cut, bent, deburred, and shipped (as of 08/23).

uses 3/32 x 1/4 rivets to attach the pieces together.
Add to cart. On the list for winter upgrades, ty vm!

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Great, it's worth putting that on the first page of this thread so it's easy to find too.
Is this plate thermostatic? I don't see any mention of it on product pages.

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Great, it's worth putting that on the first page of this thread so it's easy to find too.
Is this plate thermostatic? I don't see any mention of it on product pages.
The Iabed kit comes with an inline Mocal 180°f Thermostat. the kit replaces and eliminates the factory oil/water heat exchanger and does not touch the oil filter housing. I have modifed mine, as @DerHase mentioned, to have -10AN line for both feed and return.