GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hammersticks' "Less Is More" MK7 GTI

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
This happened...for my wife. Leftover 2018. Road trip with associated pit stops back home in progress. TBD on my GTI’s fate. [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngkibear

I went with the 42DD bushings and metal relay lever from Shorty (no more plastic!) based on this recommendation. I had planned on using the metal bushings in conjunction with the Boomba adapter but I couldn't get the shifter adjusted properly with it on. Once I took the Boomba off I was able to do it. It fit, but the angle must have been off a bit.

With just the bushings alone (and relay), there was a tremendous improvement / reduction in slop. The throws were obviously long again but it was precise. Very impressed!

I then went back to Shorty to get his short shifter for the full enchilada. It took some time due to his schedule but it was worth the wait. The throws are a similar length as the boomba but also more precise with the bearings. Short, tight, and not super notchy. It feels good, and I love knowing there's no more plastic relay waiting to fail.

Thanks for sharing your build. I'm in the process of tightening up the shifter in my MK7.5 GTI, and it's helpful to read about what did and didn't work for others.

I'm getting an OEM metal relay lever as well, and I noticed you got MK5 bushings from 42DD. Does the rectangular bushing fit the stock MK7 cable end link for the front-back lever, or did you have to order a separate set for that?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Thanks for sharing your build. I'm in the process of tightening up the shifter in my MK7.5 GTI, and it's helpful to read about what did and didn't work for others.

I'm getting an OEM metal relay lever as well, and I noticed you got MK5 bushings from 42DD. Does the rectangular bushing fit the stock MK7 cable end link for the front-back lever, or did you have to order a separate set for that?

Hi, I just ordered what is shown on post #78. I didn’t order different endlinks. If you want to tighten up the shifter then I think you will be really happy with those bushings. Huge improvement.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie

Correct you will be fine with the bushing set you’ve found on 42DD, rectangular bushing is same and will fit. 8.5mm. Your relay lever bushing will be 8mm on the metal relay lever you said you have/are getting.

Cheers!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Yes, SK VeeDubR, is the man. He is the one who told me what to get. I had previously ordered the bushing kit for MK7’s which required drilling if I recall correctly but he set me straight. Thanks again, SK VeeDubR!

youngkibear

Correct you will be fine with the bushing set you’ve found on 42DD, rectangular bushing is same and will fit. 8.5mm. Your relay lever bushing will be 8mm on the metal relay lever you said you have/are getting.

Cheers!

Yes, SK VeeDubR, is the man. He is the one who told me what to get. I had previously ordered the bushing kit for MK7’s which required drilling if I recall correctly but he set me straight. Thanks again, SK VeeDubR!

Thanks, Hammersticks and SK VeeDubR! I'm looking forward to trying out this setup!

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie

Thanks, Hammersticks and SK VeeDubR! I'm looking forward to trying out this setup!

Excellent!! Let us know how it goes! Feel free to hit me up if you have questions.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
So it’s been a few minutes since my last update…

Remus catback! I have always loved this Youtube video To me it always sounded SO good, but it was also SO expensive. Then the CSS muffler came out and I hopped on the bandwagon, only to find it too loud for me, so I just resorted back to the stock exhaust, not really wanting to gamble with another one. Then I got bored, and then I saw this post. Was the Remus really not that loud? I knew I wanted something more but not TOO much, and didn’t really want to hop down an exhaust rabbit hole after doing so much of that on my suspension (more on that later).

Long story short, I met up with @SonicBloom, heard his car, and I was sold. Picked up his Remus midpipe/resonator/silencer and found a deal on the muffler through Extreme Power House during the holidays. I then went to work looking for my goldilocks exhaust tips. I always liked the Remus "street race" tips but not the price, then I found these on sale on Ebay. They have a carbon "look" to them but it's fine because you can only see it from close up, otherwise they just look like a black matte finish like the diffuser.

Overall I love the end result. No regrets based on what I paid. Truth be told, had I paid retail for everything I think I would want it at least a little louder to help justify it. I really need to hear someone else drive my car so I can hear it better but it doesn't seem as loud as the youtube video. When I first got it it seemed to be louder than it is now. All that said, it feels like a true OEM + setup. Not loud, not embarrassing. Just deeper and refined.

gti2 (2).jpg
IMG_2221 (2).jpg

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
SuperPro camber mounts and strut tower cutout project

The Koni sports have a longer piston rod than stock. With the stock strut mounts it’s not an issue since the rod points up towards the center…but you quickly run into trouble when you add negative camber and change the angle.

After seeing this post by @EVILAUDI, I knew I wanted to go this route with my towers. He pointed me to the TEMCo TH0396-2" Knockout punch on Amazon for around $37. Thanks again, EVILAUDI! I’ll let the pictures do the talking, but it was remarkably easy and I am very happy with the end result. The hardest part was taking the plunge in where the hole was going to go…honestly, never say never but I don’t think you can screw it up too badly with this size punch. Just make sure you align towards the center of the car 😊. On top of working with the SuperPro mounts, I can now also actually fit the 22mm angle wrench (with 11mm angle wrench to hold the piston) to tighten the top strut nut if needed. My previous solution involved a 22” socket, vice grips, with an 11mm extension through the center. Pretty sucky. Now it’s proper with plenty of room.

IMG_2145.jpg
IMG_2147.jpg
IMG_2146.jpg
IMG_2148.jpg
IMG_2151.jpg
IMG_2152.jpg
IMG_2225.jpg

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Did you get the tips welded? I had to get the Remus one welded because their clamp sucks.

Minute Muffler in Dublin. They are really reasonable. Only thing is working with their schedule but they make quick work of it. I need to get the right tip raised or left one lowered. A little off but other than that all good.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
Just chiming in to say thanks for the detailed, well written thread, along with the various other contributions. I’ve picked up a lot. Have yet to apply it to my essentially stock Rabbit, but now that I’m not autocrossing the car seriously, I’m free to start with some mild mods.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Just chiming in to say thanks for the detailed, well written thread, along with the various other contributions. I’ve picked up a lot. Have yet to apply it to my essentially stock Rabbit, but now that I’m not autocrossing the car seriously, I’m free to start with some mild mods.

Fantastic. Glad it has helped. Remember to like and subscribe, and smash the like button for the golfmk7 algorithm. (Jk 😉).
My car isn’t so “less is more” anymore but still conservative for a modded car I suppose. Still some things left to do...and also working on my wife’s egolf. Zero suspension work on that one though!

DenaliTim

I’ve kept track of this thread and after buying springs and RSB (which took a lot longer to get here than anticipated) I’m now questioning myself if I really want to lowering my MK7.5....lol. It would be the first car that I haven’t lowered. I’ll keep following this to help talk me into it!