GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Stage 1 vs. Merc S550 vs. 328xi

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
So I dropped off my in-laws at the airport today and had some fun with two guys on the highway home.

First was a 2011 328xi. Poor guy wasn't expecting me to basically run up on him and just let off and then run up on him at will. I know those cars REALLY well as I had a 2006 330i for eight years. I knew he didn't stand a chance. He gave me the thumbs up.

Next, I saw a nice Merc S550 in front of me, but he was lagging behind traffic by quite a bit in the left lane. So, I moved into the middle lane and as soon as I did that, I saw the smoke come out of his exhaust as he floored it. I proceeded to just walk on him and continue to pull on him very easily.
We had to slow due to traffic and he pulled up along side of me. I thought he was going to be pissed, but he had a very strange, almost bewildered look on his face as he was literally talking to himself and scratching his head. I imagine he thought what in the world is that little white car that just kicked my butt.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
We had to slow due to traffic and he pulled up along side of me. I thought he was going to be pissed, but he had a very strange, almost bewildered look on his face as he was literally talking to himself and scratching his head. I imagine he thought what in the world is that little white car that just kicked my butt.

This is awesome.

Love owning an unsuspecting car!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
It's great to be the underdog and then surprise them. I95 its full of police buy the airport thought.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
It's great to be the underdog and then surprise them. I95 its full of police buy the airport thought.

For sure!

It was on Rt. 476. I know the airport has a ton of police presence and I don't mess around in that area at all.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Just curious, but do you super street racers always assume the person is trying their hardest? For example If I was driving a stock S550 I doubt you would easily pull away from me.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Just curious, but do you super street racers always assume the person is trying their hardest? For example If I was driving a stock S550 I doubt you would easily pull away from me.

Newer s550s trap around 110, older ones barely trap 100. I believe it if it's an older one. A stage 2 gti should pull slightly on a newer s550.

TroyI

Ready to race!
I'm not sure on this statement, but here's what I think the GTI stage 1 would do to an S550.

-On a 30 or 40 roll, we would give it a run for it's money
-From a dig, I think they would out 60 foot us and we wouldn't be able to catch up
-On a 60 or 70 roll, we would stay close for a few seconds, then the V8 power would take over and gap us

Might be all wrong though. I have yet to get a chance to see.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I'm not sure on this statement, but here's what I think the GTI stage 1 would do to an S550.

-On a 30 or 40 roll, we would give it a run for it's money
-From a dig, I think they would out 60 foot us and we wouldn't be able to catch up
-On a 60 or 70 roll, we would stay close for a few seconds, then the V8 power would take over and gap us

Might be all wrong though. I have yet to get a chance to see.
Troy you are more or less spot-on. Exactly my point.

These cars are heavy, so a stage 1 gti would put up a good race with the new s550.
A brand new s550 would most likely beat a stage 1 gti

Last edited:

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

It wasn't the newest generation S550, it was the last generation.

He was content to follow about 1/8 of a mile behind traffic at about 65 mph.
Whe traffic finally opened up, I swung out to the right and nailed it. Before I got past him, I saw his front end jump up and a quite a bit of black smoke coming out of his exhaust. He hit the throttle hard.

My car weighs a little less than 3,000lbs. and has about 320HP. So my HP to weight ratio is around 9.3.
The S550 weighs a whopping 4,729lbs. and has 429HP. So the HP to weight ration is 11.0.

Based on just the simple math, it would make sense that I pulled on him pretty hard. Even the latest S550 only has a HP to weight ratio of 10.3.
In order to have the same HP to weight ratio, he'd have to have 516HP.

When I install my IS38, the ratio will be 7.6 for me. The new S63AMG doesn't have that kind of HP to weight ratio.

Don't underestimate the "power" of lightness :D

TroyI

Ready to race!
The S550 weighs a whopping 4,729lbs. and has 429HP. So the HP to weight ration is 11.0.

Don't underestimate the "power" of lightness :D

S550's are closer to 3800 lbs., maybe a little less. But yes, don't underestimate weight. If our GTI's were rear wheel drive, it would be an entirely different story.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
S550's are closer to 3800 lbs., maybe a little less. But yes, don't underestimate weight. If our GTI's were rear wheel drive, it would be an entirely different story.

There hasn't been an S class that weighs that little in probably 40 years.
Mercedes has the 2017 S550 weight listed at 4,630lbs. That's without any options.
https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases/2017-mercedes-benz-s550-sedan-specifications

Vehicle Type Four-door, five passenger sedan
Chassis Aluminum unibody
Drive Configuration Rear wheel drive / 4MATIC

Exterior Dimensions (in)
Wheelbase 124.6
Length 206.5
Width (w/o mirrors) 75.0
Height 58.7
Track (front / rear) 63.0 / 63.2
Ground Clearance (max load) 5.12
Curb Weight (lbs) 4,630

Interior Dimensions (in)
Head room (front/rear) 39.7 / 37.4
Leg room (front/rear) 41.4 / 43.1
Shoulder room (front/rear) 59.7 / 59.1

Capacities
Cabin Volume (cu-ft) 112.2
Trunk Size (cu-ft) 16.3

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Power to weight ratio can give you a general idea but will never be entirely accurate. You have to take power under the curve as well as torque into consideration as well. A 3,200 lb car that has a peaky powerband that makes 380whp for 500rpm then falls off sharply will get beat by a heavier car that makes 360whp but has a better curve and more torque.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Power to weight ratio can give you a general idea but will never be entirely accurate. You have to take power under the curve as well as torque into consideration as well. A 3,200 lb car that has a peaky powerband that makes 380whp for 500rpm then falls off sharply will get beat by a heavier car that makes 360whp but has a better curve and more torque.

For sure!

The new Ford Mustang GT and the Camaro SS 1LE are a good example of this. Latest head-to-head had the Mustang quicker in the straight line (engine just pulled harder at the top end) even though they both made similar HP and the Camaro made more torque.