GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Griff needs a new ride

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Forgot to mention that one but it's a consideration. Need to see what they're going for these days. The RX8 it's just so damn cheap... makes it enticing.

Dat rotary and oil burning problems, doe.

Im also considering switching to 370z but with my current driving/job situation, it wont cut it, i need that hatch practicality

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
X2 on the s2000. It's within you price range, it'll keep up with stage 1 gti, it's beyond fun, it's balanced and as long as you put oil in the damned thing it'll keep running

Did I mention it's fun? Autox one and you won't ever look back

WAP

Go Kart Champion
If you're looking for just an appliance, how about a nice, late model Rabbit 2.5? Nice interior and dead reliable.

Confession: I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know what you're looking for. I just saw references to Cruz's and Mazda 3's...

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
I guess miata isn't the answer then

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
$10k, reliable, and RWD -- 350z

I had one for a while and it was pretty nice if you're planning to use it as a daily driver with the occasional track day/auto-x thrown in.

- Good midrange torque.
- Fantastic sounding engine note.
- Smooth shifter.
- Excellent steering feel.
- Typical RWD handling.
- Pretty comfortable.
- Reliable and easy to work on.

It's a bit of a porker and the seating position isn't the greatest, but if you're mainly planning to use it away from the track, who cares. And still fun on the track too.

If you're looking for something lighter and more track-ready, see if you can add a few grand to your budget and get an S2000.

I'd recommend the RX-8, but reliability isn't really its strong suit and that's the whole reason you're getting out of your NA Miata.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
X2 on the s2000. It's within you price range, it'll keep up with stage 1 gti, it's beyond fun, it's balanced and as long as you put oil in the damned thing it'll keep running

Did I mention it's fun? Autox one and you won't ever look back

It's a contender, it's just honestly not that much car for about $20k for a nice one that isn't riced out and beat to hell. I mean, is an S2K really worth twice a nice NC? I'm not so sure....

If you're looking for just an appliance, how about a nice, late model Rabbit 2.5? Nice interior and dead reliable.

Confession: I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know what you're looking for. I just saw references to Cruz's and Mazda 3's...

Haha, appliance isn't really what I want... just what I should want. Probably won't happen.

I guess miata isn't the answer then

Well, it's not so much that Miata isn't, it's that 25 year old cars make bad DDs.

That's not a bad machine for the money. I kind of forgot about these.

It's above your stated budget, but you've been ogling Coyote mustangs forever.

Why don't you get a used one and scratch the itch.

I'm thinking about one still.... the used prices are terrible though, when it looks like I could get a new one for $25k. Why pay $22k for a two year old one? Maybe I'll drive one this weekend.

Still though... hard to justify even a $25k car when I barely drive. I'd probably start washing it if I bought a Coyote though :laugh:

$10k, reliable, and RWD -- 350z

I had one for a while and it was pretty nice if you're planning to use it as a daily driver with the occasional track day/auto-x thrown in.

- Good midrange torque.
- Fantastic sounding engine note.
- Smooth shifter.
- Excellent steering feel.
- Typical RWD handling.
- Pretty comfortable.
- Reliable and easy to work on.

It's a bit of a porker and the seating position isn't the greatest, but if you're mainly planning to use it away from the track, who cares. And still fun on the track too.

If you're looking for something lighter and more track-ready, see if you can add a few grand to your budget and get an S2000.

I'd recommend the RX-8, but reliability isn't really its strong suit and that's the whole reason you're getting out of your NA Miata.

Yep, that's really my only concern with one, honestly... the reliability.

I won't track this car much, being that I'm home so little now, auto-x and track days will be minimal, but still a possibility. If I end up liking/keeping this car for a while though, it could still be around when I'm traveling less and track days will definitely happen then.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I think S2000's are too much money but that's just me.

I actually really like the RX8 and think some of the reliability concerns are a little overblown but I could be wrong on that. If I didn't drive so many miles I might have bought one myself, but the terrible gas mileage made it too costly for me.

GTO and 1st gen CTS-V are my favorites for a cool and reliable ride though, they're as cheap as C5 vettes and a lot more practical and nicer to ride in on public roads.

If you want to stick with a small car, though, my favorite is still the MR2 Spyder. Those things are bulletproof, really efficient, and IMO cool looking. I just saw a yellow one yesterday in town and it looked great. Less money than a comparable Miata too.