GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GOLF R MK 7 Performance Questions

Seagull6

Car(s)
2015 VW Golf R Mk7
Hi Everyone, New guy to this forum, checking in.

I have a 2015 Golf R VII DSG with about 55K miles. It has APR Stage 2 tuning with an APR downpipe and cold air induction. I have the TSG upgrade on the transmission. A few weeks ago I installed new plugs. I burn 93 octane gas. The car has always performed well but I just got a Dragy a couple of weeks ago. Using launch control it seems to accelerate really well but the best I measured with the Dragy was 0-60 in 4.10 seconds. On YouTube I'm seeing a lot of posts with times around 3.70 seconds or less.

The car has Firestone street tires. With launch control I get a little tire spin, but it catches quickly. The outside air temperature was 65 degrees and the altitude was 187' above ground level.

What can I do to improve my 0-60 times? I've considered using Sunoco 105 unleaded gasoline. Any useful suggestions would be appreciated.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Hi Everyone, New guy to this forum, checking in.

I have a 2015 Golf R VII DSG with about 55K miles. It has APR Stage 2 tuning with an APR downpipe and cold air induction. I have the TSG upgrade on the transmission. A few weeks ago I installed new plugs. I burn 93 octane gas. The car has always performed well but I just got a Dragy a couple of weeks ago. Using launch control it seems to accelerate really well but the best I measured with the Dragy was 0-60 in 4.10 seconds. On YouTube I'm seeing a lot of posts with times around 3.70 seconds or less.

The car has Firestone street tires. With launch control I get a little tire spin, but it catches quickly. The outside air temperature was 65 degrees and the altitude was 187' above ground level.

What can I do to improve my 0-60 times? I've considered using Sunoco 105 unleaded gasoline. Any useful suggestions would be appreciated.
TIRES, TIRES, TIRES!!! Better tires will improve your time.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I say tires too but also keep in mind not every car performs like every other car so there will be variation in 0-60 times across the family line. But .4 seconds slower does seem to be off a bit.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Like almost everyone else, I suggest better tires. R's tend to chirp, rather than spin, with the right tires. While I've loved Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires on my R, the new 5 series tires are just about to be released. Also, since you have a tune, you might want to check the launch RPM, as many tunes allow you to alter that, which will definitely impact your 0-60 time.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Like almost everyone else, I suggest better tires. R's tend to chirp, rather than spin, with the right tires. While I've loved Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires on my R, the new 5 series tires are just about to be released. Also, since you have a tune, you might want to check the launch RPM, as many tunes allow you to alter that, which will definitely impact your 0-60 time.

Any problems with them in the winter or do you switch to winter tires? I recently replaced my existing 4S' with the same ones. They were a little less than $400 per tire out the door. I let them wear down too much and the LF tread failed. The belt was showing through and chunks of the tire were missing. The only way I knew was the tire lost some air and TPMS lit up. It's good I set them to 39 PSI and run them at 36-37 cold. Any pressure problem shows up right away, within a mile, just enough to get the gates of my development. The increased toe on the LF made the tire wear more on the inside, and I never noticed it since I don't turn the front wheels to measure the depths. I just reach in near the front of the bottom of the tire and take the middle depths. It's not like my MK5 GTI where I had room between the tire and fender liner to take a reading and feel the tread condition. I'll replace them sooner next time. I'll have to look up your 5's. Didn't know they were coming out with an update.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Any problems with them in the winter or do you switch to winter tires?
Fed, unfortunately, I switch over to winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's) after every Thanksgiving, and then back again in mid-March. I also typically put about 3,000 miles a year on my summer tires. I recently hit something which took a chunk out of one of my sidewalls, so I replaced all 4 PS4S's, though they appeared to have another year or two of life left in them after around 15,000 miles. I have noticed that when it drops down into the 40's, the PS4S's start to take bumps just a bit harsher and are not quite as sticky going really fast through curves as when the temps are higher. But, fortunately, it only drops into those temps for a few months up in Philadelphia. And, when it does, the PA4's give an amazing amount of grip, outside of really heavy snow, which is pretty uncommon here. I probably could make do with just running some high performance all-season tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's all year round, but I like that extra added grip which switching out my tires every winter gives me. I hope that helps.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Fed, unfortunately, I switch over to winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's) after every Thanksgiving, and then back again in mid-March. I also typically put about 3,000 miles a year on my summer tires. I recently hit something which took a chunk out of one of my sidewalls, so I replaced all 4 PS4S's, though they appeared to have another year or two of life left in them after around 15,000 miles. I have noticed that when it drops down into the 40's, the PS4S's start to take bumps just a bit harsher and are not quite as sticky going really fast through curves as when the temps are higher. But, fortunately, it only drops into those temps for a few months up in Philadelphia. And, when it does, the PA4's give an amazing amount of grip, outside of really heavy snow, which is pretty uncommon here. I probably could make do with just running some high performance all-season tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's all year round, but I like that extra added grip which switching out my tires every winter gives me. I hope that helps.

It does. I might have mentioned I lived in Philly until I retired. I remember the times when we had 30" of snow from a single storm. Still, I always drove RWD cars with all-seasons. No real hipo tires like there are today.

Down here, my wife had one call for duty the entire time we were here, and it was on one of the coldest mornings in my area in Florida. It was about 26-degrees outside. That's when I found out what the "snowflake icon" was. We got up extra early so I could make sure my tires were at the max PSI cold and drive very slowly to the county courthouse about 12 miles away. I was concerned the entire time my tires would crack. The tires seemed to be OK, probably because it was about 50 in the garage and the temp outside warmed up by the time she was released after lunchtime. If that were today, I would have called an Uber.