GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine chirp/squeak when turning left.

McGuillicuddy

Passed Driver's Ed
Every since I've gotten the car (MY 2018, 1.8T engine) it consistently makes this chirping/squeaking noise. It sounds a bit like a belt noise but it is not. It occurs sometimes at idle (as shown in the first video), but almost all the time when I am making a left turn at parking lot/residential street speeds (2nd video). My dealership so far has had no luck tracking down this noise.

Hope these video links work:
Idling.
Making left turns around the neighbourhood.

Anybody else have this issue and had it fixed?

I have found this service note which is for the 2.0L in the GTI rather than the 1.8 but I have seen videos and the noise is *exactly the same*. Unfortunately it is very difficult to convince the dealership that my engine could be suffering from the same problem:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2...koFomD4gKNQRovKayDyR_n9w24ZMRP9oACorEE1bNasWo

It would be useful to hear if others have had the same issue and if it was solved by the recommendations in the service note or some other solution.

Paul E. Evans

Passed Driver's Ed
2017 Sportwagen same noise under same circumstances, starting around 10K. At 35,800 took car to dealiership for 3rd time because I could finally replicate the noise predictably. Left turns about 10mph. Dealer kept it for a few days, claimed they worked with VW in Germany following various diagnostics. Final indicator they drained oil and found metal flakes. VW replaced the engine under warranty. They never gave me a thorough understanding of what caused it.

bacisface

Car(s)
2016 Golf S with sun
Mine's been doing this for years (2016 Golf S), only during left turns, goes away if I accelerate through the turn. No idea what it could be, I haven't had it looked at.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Are all of you guys manual? This sounds like crank walk......

Mk7.5GTIhaus

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI
D
Every since I've gotten the car (MY 2018, 1.8T engine) it consistently makes this chirping/squeaking noise. It sounds a bit like a belt noise but it is not. It occurs sometimes at idle (as shown in the first video), but almost all the time when I am making a left turn at parking lot/residential street speeds (2nd video). My dealership so far has had no luck tracking down this noise.

Hope these video links work:
Idling.
Making left turns around the neighbourhood.

Anybody else have this issue and had it fixed?

I have found this service note which is for the 2.0L in the GTI rather than the 1.8 but I have seen videos and the noise is *exactly the same*. Unfortunately it is very difficult to convince the dealership that my engine could be suffering from the same problem:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2...koFomD4gKNQRovKayDyR_n9w24ZMRP9oACorEE1bNasWo

It would be useful to hear if others have had the same issue and if it was solved by the recommendations in the service note or some other solution.
Did you ever get this figured out? I’m having the same exact noise going on

BigLips19

Car(s)
'19 GTI SE 6MT
My wife's Alltrack was making a similar noise, I thought it was the crank pulley like mentioned here but the dealer said it was the front strut mounts & bearings which they'll replace under warranty