GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DP in PA?

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Anyone running a DP in Pennsylvania?

I'm curious about emissions testing. Obviously, I'd go for a catted DP because I don't want to have problems when I get my car tested.

Is anyone having issues passing the test?

I'm looking at the APR DP.

peppy2

Ready to race!
I just got catted so I don't have to deal with the headache.

If you plan on doing it, think about wrapping the DP before install. Something I wish I did...

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Anyone running a DP in Pennsylvania?

I'm curious about emissions testing. Obviously, I'd go for a catted DP because I don't want to have problems when I get my car tested.

Is anyone having issues passing the test?

I'm looking at the APR DP.

I'm also interested. I have the APR DP but I haven't pass the inspection yet.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
So as long as you have a cat and what appears to be a present, functioning emissions system, should pass any prying eyes. I had a 2000 Dodge that I had installed an aftermarket performance y-pipe on w/ shorty headers. I had cats, and O2s, still failed the sniff test. I was sniffed on the vehicles first visit, and NOx showed far too high. I had to put the factory y-pipe back on, go back, passed, and reinstalled the aftermarket one again. F...that....emissions....garbage. That truck got 4 MGP better(when trying) with the evil NOx spewing y-pipe.

Good luck!

After my experiences in Ohio I will probably never mess with a DP or anything emissions related. Laws aren't getting any less strict here, and I don't them them lightening up on any of the states. Granted, if I DP's now it would be 3 years before having to deal with any potential issues. Sure, I could plate it in a county that doesn't. But last time I was at a testing station I was informed that in the next 4 years or so the entire State will require it. We'll see.

Venumous

Ready to race!
I'm in Allegheny and have no problems with mine running a spacer with the cat turned on. That being said, the downpipe swap on a non-LSD car is really easy and if you had to do it once a year (highly doubt you would) it isn't the end of the world. I think it took me a little over an hour to do on the first try.

element515

Ready to race!
Not on this car, but in the past with my speed3 I ran without the second cat with no issues and knew people who ran without any. Most shops in PA just check for the engine light.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
You all should do like the scofflaws in Philly do and tag your car in Delaware with a shell address. We get tagged for five years on new cars down here.

Regarding emissions, as long as you're tuned for no CELs and you're not billowing obvious noxious nastiness from your tailpipe, you should be good in PA.

Venumous

Ready to race!
You all should do like the scofflaws in Philly do and tag your car in Delaware with a shell address. We get tagged for five years on new cars down here.

Regarding emissions, as long as you're tuned for no CELs and you're not billowing obvious noxious nastiness from your tailpipe, you should be good in PA.

You're only allowed 1 not ready OBD monitor in PA for cars 2001 and newer (in emissions counties). Most tuners turn off the O2 sensors to turn off the CELs.

Venumous

Ready to race!
Not on this car, but in the past with my speed3 I ran without the second cat with no issues and knew people who ran without any. Most shops in PA just check for the engine light.

Only true when you don't have emissions. Shops are required to hook up the vehicle to the OBDII monitor in order to print the emissions sticker. I get around this on my 16 GT by driving less than 5k miles per 365 days which allows for an emissions exception.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
I have 42DD O2 spacer. My O2 is not disabled. When I flash back to stock I get zero CEL as well. Not all spacers are created equal.. find a 42DD.

Venumous

Ready to race!
Not directing this specifically toward you but I'll type this for the umpteenth time, I have a $5 dorman non-fouler spacer that I used for 4k miles with not a single CEL before I flashed mine when I was using only JB1/4. It worked fine.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
If anyone in the Philly area knows of a good place to go that will pass you without cats please let us know. I am new to the area but looking on the PA inspections website the only requirements are "Tests: Onboard Diagnostics and Gas Cap Check". There is no visual inspection so I think I am good.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
TY all for the input!

Smith VW in Delaware does all my installs and in the next few months I'm getting an IS38 installed and wanted to take advantage of the extra power from the DP.
I was actually planning on wrapping the DP. I race a BMW 335 and we have the DPs wrapped. It makes a big difference in under hood temperatures.