GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Question. I've been looking around and I can't remember or find a straight answer.
I have a 2015 GTI with Fender and I currently have an Eurozone tuning MIB2 unit that I swapped out the MIB1 with.
I've got in my hands an MIB2.5 that I'm going to install.

My brother has a 2015 TDI WITHOUT Fender and he has the MIB1 system, can I swap in my old EZT MIB2 unit or is there gona be problems since he doesn't have Fender?
From my understanding, this will work. Component Protection will kick in again when the MIB2 unit is connected to your brother's car but once he's had that removed, he'll just need to have it re-coded to look for the standard sound system amp (I presume there is always one there and that the Fender/Dynaudio is an upgrade?) so he can get sound output through it.

I'm saying CP will kick-in again, that would only happen if it's not a hacked unit of course.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
From my understanding, this will work. Component Protection will kick in again when the MIB2 unit is connected to your brother's car but once he's had that removed, he'll just need to have it re-coded to look for the standard sound system amp (I presume there is always one there and that the Fender/Dynaudio is an upgrade?) so he can get sound output through it.

I'm saying CP will kick-in again, that would only happen if it's not a hacked unit of course.
It is indeed a hacked unit. EuroZoneTuning takes Euro units and hacks them for US software and such.
And I don't know that the standard audio system has a proper amp like the Fender/Dynaudio systems.
I do remember coding my unit to act as Dynaudio in order for it to work since for what ever reason the Gen 1 Fender amp with an MIB2 unit doesn't mix(?)

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
It is indeed a hacked unit. EuroZoneTuning takes Euro units and hacks them for US software and such.
And I don't know that the standard audio system has a proper amp like the Fender/Dynaudio systems.
I do remember coding my unit to act as Dynaudio in order for it to work since for what ever reason the Gen 1 Fender amp with an MIB2 unit doesn't mix(?)
Aha. Well, if you had to code it to work with Dynaudio then that means despite it being a hacked unit, long-coding is still available and you can reverse it!

There is a post somewhere in this thread which details the changes you need to make in order to have a MIB2 unit work with MIB1 Dynaudio/Fender amp. If you go back to page 1, I'm sure it's linked there in the OP and the member who figured out how it could be done has listed each entry in the 5F long-coding which has to be modified and the values 'from' and 'to'.

So, without going back and looking myself (because I'm giving this a cheeky response when I'm meant to be working 😝😝) I can't tell you for certain BUT you should be able to reverse engineer it from there!

Do you have a VCDS cable/OBD11 to do the coding with? I'm assuming that you do, from what you've said?

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Aha. Well, if you had to code it to work with Dynaudio then that means despite it being a hacked unit, long-coding is still available and you can reverse it!

There is a post somewhere in this thread which details the changes you need to make in order to have a MIB2 unit work with MIB1 Dynaudio/Fender amp. If you go back to page 1, I'm sure it's linked there in the OP and the member who figured out how it could be done has listed each entry in the 5F long-coding which has to be modified and the values 'from' and 'to'.

So, without going back and looking myself (because I'm giving this a cheeky response when I'm meant to be working 😝😝) I can't tell you for certain BUT you should be able to reverse engineer it from there!

Do you have a VCDS cable/OBD11 to do the coding with? I'm assuming that you do, from what you've said?
I do have VCDS.

It's time to start tinkering I guess. See what works and what doesn't. Appreciate the reply!

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Question. I've been looking around and I can't remember or find a straight answer.
I have a 2015 GTI with Fender and I currently have an Eurozone tuning MIB2 unit that I swapped out the MIB1 with.
I've got in my hands an MIB2.5 that I'm going to install.

My brother has a 2015 TDI WITHOUT Fender and he has the MIB1 system, can I swap in my old EZT MIB2 unit or is there gona be problems since he doesn't have Fender?
Yes, you can swap in. Look at the Fender Audio Upgrade thread for exact coding that needs to be done. I did this myself, when I got rid of my Fender amp and went with external amps, new crossovers, speakers, etc. Thread I referred to: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/recoding-the-radio-to-eliminate-fender-amp.341803/

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
I’ve just ordered my parts! Going with a MIB2 Sat Nav & DAB unit to start with, I’ve managed to find brand new parts on eBay and I’ll see what it’s like when it’s in, early next week, before I decide on going for the 8” display and then sourcing the trim for it.

I can’t wait, I am SO EXCITED for CarPlay - it’s been the one thing I’d fault my car for not being able to support, when it came along…

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
I finished the retrofit yesterday. Jack was stellar, very patient and professional. I had some trouble finding and installing some of the software he needed (was working on my son's PC as I have a MacBook, and Win 10 is completely foreign to me) but he was more than patient and walked me through everything. There was also an initial misunderstanding on my part, as I thought any VM app will do (so I had installed VirtualBox), but he needed some specific software (VMware Player 14+Teamviewer), so that took some time too to fix.

But after that it took him less that 10min to remove CP, then probably a bit longer than 30min to install all the FeC's (wifi was decent in the garage but still dropped once), then looked for and cleared errors, we checked functionality of everything etc, all in all I spent maybe an hour in the car with the laptop connected via USB to the ODIS device plugged in the car port.

Wow, I now have an NAR 2016 GSW TDI (the car that wasn't meant to be)!

Later Edit: he also asked me to relay a message for him (and I will, even though by now most people have already learned about this). He can't work with the activation keys that people buy; he needs to go into the VW database and look for the activation key assigned to the VIN of the car your retrofitted unit came from, that's the key he buys and re-assigns to your VIN. I suppose that's how he can make AppConnect work for our NAR retrofits.
So my unit is arriving today. The guy I bought it from on eBay tells me it’s brand new.

If that’s the case, does this mean that Jack or Simaservis won’t be able to activate FECs for AppConnect or Maps? If so, where do I get a code from for these to work? I’d say I’ll go VW in Aberdeen but they’ve already given me the “unauthorised retrofit” line when seeking a part number for a new 8” carbon trim for my display…

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Doesn't matter if it's new or used, same process has to be done. A new unit might take longer since it will need to be parameterized for your car. That additional time might cost you more, or might be a cost that the remote coders include anyway. The dealer is more likely to take care of component protection with a new unit (with proof of purchase) but that isn't the major concern anyway.

jallkay

Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk7.5 Perf
Hey guys

I have a 2019 UK Golf GTI, i wanted to retrofit the 9.2 display to the car

I checked the head unit and i have a 'Delphi' 3Q0 unit, is it possible to update it to allow the 9.2 display to plug and play, or will it require a new head unit? I have ordered an OBDEleven as well

On a side note, has there been any attempts to fit an MIB3 unit to the 9.2 display on a MK7.5 golf? Ideally I'd like wireless carplay

Thanks

VIT

Car(s)
Golf VII GTD
Hello everyone.
Nobody knows how to beat the MIB1 Dynaudio amplifier and the MIB2 Harman unit (MHI2_ER_VWG11_K3342 MU1427)?
NO SOUND (
I connected MIB2 Delphi (3Q0035864C SW0891) to check - the sound works.
In both units, component protection is disabled by a patch, not online.

Maybe for Harman to work through MOST, I need to remove protection online, and not with a software patch?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
So I’ve been messing with some of the coding on my new MIB2 tonight before it gets CP removed tomorrow and in stuck getting the carbon background to appear on it.

When I got it, it had the R-Line splash screen and blue accents. I’ve been through all the options using OBD11 and can get the red GTI accents (which I actually hate!) plus the GTD launch screen (but no “Dynaudio”…yet…does that come with activation?) but I still just get the sort of two-tone black background when I’m in sub menus.

Given that it came with the grid view, I’m wondering if this is a 2.5 unit and therefore missing that altogether? I wasn’t aware the Golf 7 had an R-Line trim, I thought that was a 7.5 thing?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
A 2.5 unit should be a 5NA... part number. If it's working with a non-9.2" screen it's MIB II. I'm pretty sure on my old MIB II the R-Line startup screen was an option. I haven't tried changing the options on my MIB 2.5 although I would be surprised if they've changed much. VCDS long coding helper didn't have many descriptions for the MIB 2.5 when I installed it, though that was several versions ago for VCDS so may no longer be the case.

The following snips are from this thread, XaGiCo's work, not mine so credit goes there... https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/5368/

XaGiCo Snip 0.JPGXaGiCo Snip 1.JPGXaGiCo Snip 2.JPG

Last edited:

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
A 2.5 unit should be a 5NA... part number. If it's working with a non-9.2" screen it's MIB II. I'm pretty sure on my old MIB II the R-Line startup screen was an option. I haven't tried changing the options on my MIB 2.5 although I would be surprised if they've changed much. VCDS long coding helper didn't have many descriptions for the MIB 2.5 when I installed it, though that was several versions ago for VCDS so may no longer be the case.

The following snips are from this thread, XaGiCo's work, not mine so credit goes there... https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/5368/

View attachment 216070View attachment 216071View attachment 216072
Great, will give this a try tomorrow.

Assuming the carbon texture is dead with the MIB2 then, unless I opt for the skin with the left-right scrolling menu over the grid?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't remember the carbon texture, haha. I also don't recall how to change the menu type. I think mine is a grid, but also scrolls to a second page. There's an option that's one row with left-right scrolling too, correct?