GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
if i can source a: 3Q0035844A for fairly cheap, whats the best screen that would be reasonably cheap? (~100Cad)?

Trying to get this retrofit done for less than 800CAD (including jack's service)
Assuming you don't have nav the screen part numbers in the OP are the same except for a mute/voice button. I would just get whatever is cheaper. The 6.5" screens use your existing screen trim.

I wouldn't say that the 8" screens are objectively better but they are bigger. The matte 8" screen will require you to buy new trim. If you're in a Golf with the brushed silver the trim can be ordered from overseas for about $150 shipped. If your car has gloss black trim you can source it in the states for a little less than that. The 8" gloss only comes in gloss black trim which means doing a full trim conversion if you're in a Golf. I priced that at somewhere around $350. Either of the 8" screen options could cost you your entire proposed budget. I got lucky and found a working 8" matte screen on eBay but still had to buy the trim. The screen was sold as-is for parts so it was a gamble.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, cheapest option would definitely be the 6.5 swap since you don't have to find new trim. You can get the wiring off of aliexpress if you want the usb in the center stack. Pricey bits are the screen, brain, and jack's service (and amp if you swap em).

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
if i can source a: 3Q0035844A for fairly cheap, whats the best screen that would be reasonably cheap? (~100Cad)?

Trying to get this retrofit done for less than 800CAD (including jack's service)

I have a 6.5" OEM screen for MIBII if you are interested. Part # 3G0 919 605 H

$100 USD + shipping. PM me if interested.

SargeMKVI

Semper Fi!
Car(s)
2010 GTI
VAGCOM, OBD11, or VAS5 will work.
If Carplay does not work when the MIB2 Discover Pro is installed:
Enter 5F Information Electronics in VCDS

Enter Adaptation-10

Under "Channel 64B", select the channels listed below and make the following changes in the "New Value" Drop down.
IDE03471-ENG130249-Fahrzeugkonfiguration-Apple_DIO: change to "on"
IDE03471-ENG130248-Fahrzeugkonfiguration-Google_GAL: change to "ein"
IDE03471-ENG07590-Fahrzeugkonfiguration-Mirror_link,function_on_hmi_on: change to "on"
IDE10480-MAS10741-Schnittstelle für externen Medien: Aktivierung-Anschluss 1: change to "activated"

Press DO IT to save changes

=robtemp;810893]Is the VAS5... cable required for the upgrade to MIB2 or can this be done with a ross tech vag-com cable?

Required if you want car play/ Android auto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gotta have the VAS5 cable. The Ross Tech one won't work.

Thank you for confirming.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
VAGCOM, OBD11, or VAS5 will work.

Great to know. Thanks so much!

Are you guys strictly talking about getting CarPlay/AndroidAuto to work on a plug & play Discover Pro unit? I have no experience with this so can't speak to it.

But if robtemp is talking about purchasing a new/used unit and having it coded remotely only the VAS cable will work.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

DucMike

Car(s)
R32 -> Mk6 GTI
Been trying to get ahold of Jack for a consult on my install (Tiguan Composition media into a Mk5 R32) via Skype but no luck so far. I don't want to be a pest but how many posts does it usually take before one gets a reply? I do know his vaca schedule can factor in but...