GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did you file your taxes already?

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Filed last Monday. Paid 700 to Fed and 400 to VA. Would have been more if I didn't itemize deductions and donate to charity in 2012.

Yep the price of being middle class, single, no dependents, a renter, and claiming the minimum amount of withholding on W4's (I don't give interest free loans :) )

I wish I could claim my dog as a dependent, God knows next to the GTI she's a pretty big expense :)

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
That's a nice fat refund but if you adjusted your withholding's to more accurately reflect your income minus your adjustments and credits. You wouldn't be getting anything back at the end of the year but you'd have more monthly income to spend on that BMW lease you were talking about.

I know most people don't like to owe money or get very little back at the end of the year but it's like giving the government a interest free loan. Just got to weigh the options. :23:

ya ya.. heard it a million times. ill take my big check at the end of the year. only "bonus" i get as a contractor.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
There's free online tax filing for all you poor people making less than 57k that voted for Romney. And I don't think you have to file if you're one of the 47 percent leeches who voted for Obama. Hopefully I'm doing this right.

Everyone can file there taxes for free minus the cost of mailing in your return.

As far as not having to file, there are specific rules on that which are based upon your gross income. If I remember correctly filing single and making less then $9,750 would not require a return to be filed. I doubt anyone that's driving a 25k car would be making less then 10k, at least i hope not.

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
Dad did a whole bunch of roundabout shit to my credit to make my college work so since I just graduated and was going to get basically nothing back he decided to write me a $1k check and call it even lol

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
ya ya.. heard it a million times. ill take my big check at the end of the year. only "bonus" i get as a contractor.

That's how many people feel and I can't say I blame you. I try and have around 1k extra withheld over the year just for that purpose. Its nice getting a little bonus to pay off some expenses from the holidays.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Everyone can file there taxes for free minus the cost of mailing in your return.

As far as not having to file, there are specific rules on that which are based upon your gross income. If I remember correctly filing single and making less then $9,750 would not require a return to be filed. I doubt anyone that's driving a 25k car would be making less then 10k, at least i hope not.

Lots of kids with parent owned MK6s and students on here.

It's why we get questions like, "ebay DP any good?"

Dubvee

Go Kart Champion

You can also do them online for free as a said. You just might have to file using a different provider between state and federal. Look around on IRS.gov. Again, this only applies to <57k. Who wants to mail that shit.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Dad did a whole bunch of roundabout shit to my credit to make my college work so since I just graduated and was going to get basically nothing back he decided to write me a $1k check and call it even lol

Well if you just graduated and qualified your Dad or whomever is claiming you as a dependent would be eligible for the American Opportunity Credit. This credit offers up to $2,500 back to offset tuition costs. Obviously you have to be in the correct income bracket and it also has to be 1 of your first 4 years of undergrad but it might be worth doing a little research if your dad doesn't already know about it.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
You can also do them online for free as a said. You just might have to file using a different provider between state and federal. Look around on IRS.gov. Again, this only applies to <57k. Who wants to mail that shit.

I know this is correct for Fed but I'm not sure about e-filing at the state level. Every state has its own Department of Revenue (DRS). All the state information can be obtained by checking your states DRS website.

In the case of CT you are allowed to e-file from there website for free but its such a pain in the rear that its just easier to pay the 10 dollars to do it through a private company like turbo/HR/taxslayer/etc.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
That's how many people feel and I can't say I blame you. I try and have around 1k extra withheld over the year just for that purpose. Its nice getting a little bonus to pay off some expenses from the holidays.

Bonus would be bigger if you fixed your withholdings and then direct deposited the difference in even a simple second credit union savings account that you don't use all the time.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Bonus would be bigger if you fixed your withholdings and then direct deposited the difference in even a simple second credit union savings account that you don't use all the time.

This is very true but most people including myself wouldn't do that. I'd just spend it on car parts or something else.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
Buy a house.. I was getting huge returns when I was single, had a mortgage interest deduction, property taxes, and claimed 0 throughout the year ( i know, i know free interest loan, etc).

thats pretty on par for around here when it comes to deductions, lots of extra BS, etc, not the simple ones.

heck yeah, thats a great price.

just buy a house or a condo.

lol, no no, meant part time, not "PT" as in therapy.

TX? PT? CLMT? INSD? ;) DX? RX?

hah, if it could work and NO loopholes existed, it could be good.
Oh shit haha my bad, i'm so into my work lately, how the fuck did i miss that?!!! Of course it's part time. :bonk:

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
$3400 return...one of the good things about my wife being in school :)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Well it's a good thing all of our tax dollars are spent responsibly by the Feds or we'd actually have something to complain about. <3 Big Government

"Government so small, it fits right in your vagina"

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
Man, I know that technically its better to get a small return. But it sure would be niceto have a big check coming. How do you single guys do it?

I owed taxes last year and I'm getting like 25 bucks this year back. I wish the government would reward me for buying cool shit and not having to spend my money on dependents.

I'm mostly joking...