GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dedicated track pads

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I had the non spec Powerstop Track Day on my ILX for a track day. They held up for 20min then begged to come back in. I kept them on for daily and they dusted like crazy. I swapped them out for EBC yellow which were similar.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I had the non spec Powerstop Track Day on my ILX for a track day. They held up for 20min then begged to come back in. I kept them on for daily and they dusted like crazy. I swapped them out for EBC yellow which were similar.
Yellows are 900 deg. Blue NDX are 1000.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I’m excited. They’re either gonna be transformative or terrible… 😏 🤫 🏎️

Attachments

• IMG_2198.jpeg
    IMG_2198.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2199.jpeg
    IMG_2199.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
I’m excited. They’re either gonna be transformative or terrible… 😏 🤫 🏎️
For $125, if they give decent performance and last through a couple track days........I'd call it a win. I was surprised by how cheap/inexpensive they are. Looking forward to reading about your experience with them.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
For $125, if they give decent performance and last through a couple track days........I'd call it a win. I was surprised by how cheap/inexpensive they are. Looking forward to reading about your experience with them.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...rd-how-will-it-end.444080/page-6#post-8053066

Post #83, full review on the pads so far. I’m a big fan!!! 🥰

SD-GTI

Car(s)
2020 GTI, 2019 M2C
I bought the Porterfields (R4 in front and R4-S in the rear) per SouthFL’s recommendation and I was very happy with them. These eliminated all my issues and will work until I’m faster. My home track (Chuckwalla) is pretty easy on the brakes so maybe it will be a good longterm solution, thanks everyone for your input and saving me some money. Now I have a traction control issue I need to resolve but I’ll post a new thread.

Scanner

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI 1.8
Making a leap of faith. I have "Powerstop Track Day Spec" pads coming to me this weekend. Install ~ Tuesday. Max rated operating temp ~982* F

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-track-day-spec-brake-pads/

NOTE: don't confuse these with the standard Track Day pads, which are geared more for novice drivers.

I suspect they'll be happiest up to ~800* F, but this is conjecture. Reviews on them in the heavier car community have been excellent. Good Mu (friction/bite) and heat tolerant.

They won't last as long as the Ferodo DS1.11 and 3.12, but they're 1/3 to 1/4 the price of admission.

EBC suppliers couldn't get me the RPX front/BS NDX rears in time, and the price was still up there ($350-400, I believe, for front & rear)

Meanwhile, HHR (our home track) is pretty easy on brakes. 1.82 miles, only 3 hard brake zones, evenly spaced apart for ~15 -20 seconds of cool-down between each corner. 1:30-1:35 second laps are optimal for a door slammer. v-Max 105mph on the longest straight going into turn 4.

If I can get all 4-5 track events (for my 2024 season) out of these pads, it will absolutely be worth the entry level cost ($200 with my shop discounts).

They won't be used on the street, except driving to and from track days. They might be "squealy", and will definitely be dusty.

View attachment 302373

I also bought dedicated high-carbon front rotors (340mm) for these pads, in case the PS TDS end up chewing into the rotors.

My street setup will remain unaffected this way. Track rotors have a 2-yr warranty on them through my supplier.

Hope it makes sense over text.

View attachment 302374 View attachment 302375

I have a 2018 TSI 1.8 Unitronic IS20 and extras with dyno 305 hp, 348 ft. lb, and have used the Powerstop Track Day Spec pads on Powerstop slotted and drilled rotors, Motul 660 fluid for track days in the last couple of years and have been very satisfied with the fading resistance, braking power, overall cost/benefit. Of course, they are noisy and dusty, so for daily driving, I have the Z26 Powerstop Warrior pads on the same rotors which are silent and clean.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
This is the way! *
I have a 2018 TSI 1.8 Unitronic IS20 and extras with dyno 305 hp, 348 ft. lb, and have used the Powerstop Track Day Spec pads on Powerstop slotted and drilled rotors, Motul 660 fluid for track days in the last couple of years and have been very satisfied with the fading resistance, braking power, overall cost/benefit. Of course, they are noisy and dusty, so for daily driving, I have the Z26 Powerstop Warrior pads on the same rotors which are silent and clean.
This is the way! ^

Love the Z23/Z26 pad compounds for street use.

I’ve been running the TD Specs on the street for almost two weeks now. Dustier than a coal mine, BUT it’s easy to clean using normal simple green and a wheel brush with soft bristles.

Thicker than ceramic dust by a good margin, but not at all unmanageable. For the price I paid I’m loving them.

The available grab beyond 40-50% pedal input is (right now) worth the dust. It’s like the car has a parachute on the back when you ask for it. 🥰

I just wanted to let folks know that the dust hasn’t harmed my wheel finish yet the way Hawk and some other aggressive pads are known to.

(Fingers crossed as he types this) 🤞