GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Retrofit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Nice, so that means your dataset already had DCC settings, but since it wasn't enabled in coding no menu showed. And yea gotta let the can bus sleep before some things will show up, while other things show up instantly 🤷🏿‍♂️.

The sensors have to be within a certain range for basic settings to run. If they are not in the range the sensor could be faulty, or mounted incorrectly (although that's not too likely). The "not possible" means not in the right range.

The DCC module shows values for 4 sensors but you only need 3, Front Left/Right and Rear Left. My assumption is the DCC module could be used on a car with air suspension and then all 4 corners would need a height sensor.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
@Cuzoe

Here's the weirdest thing...

All 4 wheels are in the air, tried running basic settings in OBDEleven, ODIS-E and ODIS-S. Tried end of the line programming as well as diagnostic mode.

This failed and probably because one of the sensors is out of range. However...

failure of basic settings.PNG

This is the status with all 4 wheels in the air as per below [Right Front not possible]

right front not possible.PNG

However when all 4 wheels are back down, it's flipped over to the [Left Front not possible] Service v Engineering differences in screenshots but I performed with both and both said the same thing.
on ground flipped.PNG

I wonder why this is? I wonder if we're getting down to the the screw positioning of the sensors and one is in the right place and the other isn't and this then switches when on the ground? OR, the previous dataset is still in there and is expecting some old values?

The adaptation screen for deflected wheels is all 55.55% as a default value and won't let me change any of them.

From ODIS outputs:

1658146401470.png

1658146422796.png

1658146443175.png

1658146457246.png

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@jamstonmartames That does not look weird to me. Adaptation is only possible when the wheels are hanging and the sensor are within a certain range...

When your wheels are hanging the right front is out of range, therefore not possible.
When your wheels are on the ground the left front and left rear are not possible... that is correct.

What is not correct is your right front showing possible on the ground. So we have confirmed either the sensor is faulty, it is mounted improperly, or it's the wrong sensor. We know it is reporting values because we see it changing from possible to not possible. Below is a quote from earlier in this thread, with the values for a GTI with wheels in the air. I don't recall the exact ranges needed but figure somewhere near these...
@Cuzoe Here is the "Raw value" of the level sensors with the GTI off the ground.

Left Front - 66.43
Right Front - 36.87
Left Rear - 63.31

Note that right front and left front should not read the same values, they are basically inverted. If the ODIS output from your last post is with the car off the ground you you can see that right front is showing about the same as the left front and left rear. That will not work.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
@jamstonmartames That does not look weird to me. Adaptation is only possible when the wheels are hanging and the sensor are within a certain range...

When your wheels are hanging the right front is out of range, therefore not possible.
When your wheels are on the ground the left front and left rear are not possible... that is correct.

What is not correct is your right front showing possible on the ground. So we have confirmed either the sensor is faulty, it is mounted improperly, or it's the wrong sensor. We know it is reporting values because we see it changing from possible to not possible. Below is a quote from earlier in this thread, with the values for a GTI with wheels in the air. I don't recall the exact ranges needed but figure somewhere near these...

Note that right front and left front should not read the same values, they are basically inverted. If the ODIS output from your last post is with the car off the ground you you can see that right front is showing about the same as the left front and left rear. That will not work.
Uh Oh.

Your quoted GTI Values:
Left Front - 66.43
Right Front - 36.87
Left Rear - 63.31

My raw values are:
Left Front - 66.81
Right Front - 73.54
Left Rear - 68.25

1. Can I check that the plug is upwards facing on the left and downwards facing on the right?
  2. If I had +ve and -ve the wrong way around, I wonder if that could be the issue?
In the picture below is the left sensor and I've put the bolt in the middle hole (of three holes) with the outer most being used as a lineup guide hole. Inner most (3rd one isn't used.
1658162539598.png

Tring to find a picture of the three holes on the tube.
1658163532290.png

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't know that having the wires swapped would cause that problem (without an associated fault) but it's definitely worth checking.

Haven't looked at the mounting since the install so I don't remember much about those holes. I don't recall worrying too much about the mounting...

You might try looking for subframe or lower control arm DIY's on YouTube. If one is on a car with DCC you might see it.

Always gotta ask the dumb questions... you have 5Q0412522C installed on the right side, correct?

Last edited:

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
I don't know that having the wires swapped would cause that problem (without an associated fault) but it's definitely worth checking.

Haven't looked at the mounting since the install so I don't remember much about those holes. I don't recall worrying too much about the mounting...

You might try looking for subframe or lower control arm DIY's on YouTube. If one is on a car with DCC you might see it.

Always gotta ask the dumb questions... you have 5Q0412522C installed on the right side, correct?
I will double check this. The connector on the left is pointing upwards and the connector on the right is pointing downwards. Is that right?

Furthermore, how many LWR sensors have you declared in 55 /4B?

Many Thanks

James

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I will double check this. The connector on the left is pointing upwards and the connector on the right is pointing downwards. Is that right?

Furthermore, how many LWR sensors have you declared in 55 /4B?

Many Thanks

James
I have not looked at those connectors since install so I'm not sure which direction they face.. They are keyed though so they should only connect one way.

I don't have module 55/4B.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ah, so you never coded the amount of LWR sensors you had anywhere?
Correct, no place to code that for me. The DCC module is probably only looking for the sensors that the dataset says it should have. So the dataset for a Golf would be looking for 3 sensors (Left Rear, Left Front, Right Front). That's why there's no fault for a Right Rear sensor, even though the DCC module has the input for one.

Is there an arrow to show which way they should face up/down? or which way the female/male connectors should be connected?
I'm not understanding your question. The connectors will physically only connect one way.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Correct, no place to code that for me. The DCC module is probably only looking for the sensors that the dataset says it should have. So the dataset for a Golf would be looking for 3 sensors (Left Rear, Left Front, Right Front). That's why there's no fault for a Right Rear sensor, even though the DCC module has the input for one.

I'm not understanding your question. The connectors will physically only connect one way.
Ok, brace yourself.

Dr.Idiot over here misread this diagram for the left side instead of the right so i've crammed through a bolt on the other side (red arrows) that just wasn't meant to be there which also makes me think I've got the left and right the wrong way around. Wheels off at the weekend again :)

1658513383299.png

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Ok, brace yourself.

Dr.Idiot over here misread this diagram for the left side instead of the right so i've crammed through a bolt on the other side (red arrows) that just wasn't meant to be there which also makes me think I've got the left and right the wrong way around. Wheels off at the weekend again :)

View attachment 256040
Actually, I'm not sure I am wrong? I think the right connector is the issue. The connector is pointing downwards, so I'm thinking the two screws that hold the sensor in the bracket will have to come off and I may need to rotate it.

RIGHT SIDE BELOW
InkedInkeddcc 5.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@jamstonmartames Something about that doesn't look right to me but as I said before, I have not looked at any of this since my install. I'm going on vacation tomorrow so I don't think I'll get a chance to get under the car (or try to stick my arm under there) to look.

What I can tell you is that I did not have to disassemble or rotate anything for the install. If you have the right part number on each side you should be good.

Here's a not great picture from the self study guide...
1658695102637.png

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
@jamstonmartames Something about that doesn't look right to me but as I said before, I have not looked at any of this since my install. I'm going on vacation tomorrow so I don't think I'll get a chance to get under the car (or try to stick my arm under there) to look.

What I can tell you is that I did not have to disassemble or rotate anything for the install. If you have the right part number on each side you should be good.

Here's a not great picture from the self study guide...
View attachment 256239
So, Cuzoe strikes again

Indeed you were correct. The sensors should read the inverse of each other. I ended up taking the two t25 screws out of the sensor and rotated it 180deg to point upwards. Basic settings went through without a hitch.

Only issue remains is B200500 Data Record Invalid which is probably remedied by an XML dataset upload. Annoyingly I'd be after a rare R one as it's a different setup to FWD.

Do you know where any may be bobbing around?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't have a dataset to assist unfortunately. But the R dataset shouldn't be that rare. I think starting in 2017 every Golf R in the states has DCC, with the only options being color and transmission. Probably not the case ROW. But the R dataset shouldn't be more difficult to find than the FWD one.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
I don't have a dataset to assist unfortunately. But the R dataset shouldn't be that rare. I think starting in 2017 every Golf R in the states has DCC, with the only options being color and transmission. Probably not the case ROW. But the R dataset shouldn't be more difficult to find than the FWD one.
Just to check are you referring to 19. Gateway datasets of 14. Wheel Dampening Datasets ?

My Data Record Invalid is held up in 14 Wheel Dampening :(

I'm wondering if this is maybe because the gateway has some dodgy coding or missing the FPA for Comfort and it's throwing a wobbler?

StuffenDCC?

I should really leave you to enjoying your vacation.