GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daily Driven STU Setup

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Been pretty quiet on the STU front here. With my move to Las Vegas I no longer have three regions around me to attend events. The LV region shuts down during the heat of summer, smart. Although some night events would be pretty fun.

So I ended up getting some paint damage to my rear spoiler caused by my garage door. I ordered the Oettinger rear spoiler, as I do like the improved look. After it arrived, I started to wonder if it would be against STU rules…

IMG_3201.jpeg

Anyone care to offer interpretation? I mean you could order a golf with the Oettinger kits… but…

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I'd be surprised if anyone noticed honestly.

If it could be ordered as an OEM option installed at the factory (not a dealer accessory installed just before delivery) then it's legal AFAIK.

Realistically at least locally that would be such a weenie protest and whoever has a problem needs to just learn to drive faster.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not legal, but locally, I doubt anyone would care.

Dude showed up with full aero S2000 and we let him run STR once and told him the correct class for next event. He tried to run STR again and I just moved him in the computer.

A little spoiler shouldn't bother anyone, but we always talk to the regulars in the class and ask first.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

If it could be ordered as an OEM option installed at the factory (not a dealer accessory installed just before delivery) then it's legal AFAIK.

Realistically at least locally that would be such a weenie protest and whoever has a problem needs to just learn to drive faster.

I always do things like this… doubtful this spoiler does anything aerodynamically.

Last year I was asked if I had a problem with certain things on a car in STU that has some oddball mod. As a region regular, it never bothered me. I’ll never go to nationals, and the national events weren’t my cup of tea.

Dang, so minor, but maybe I’ll think about it before it’s off to paint.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

What are you planning to do classing wise with the hood vents?

I'm thinking about doing the same, maybe making a blanking plate for autocross.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Been pretty quiet on the STU front here. With my move to Las Vegas I no longer have three regions around me to attend events. The LV region shuts down during the heat of summer, smart. Although some night events would be pretty fun.

So I ended up getting some paint damage to my rear spoiler caused by my garage door. I ordered the Oettinger rear spoiler, as I do like the improved look. After it arrived, I started to wonder if it would be against STU rules…

View attachment 285229

Anyone care to offer interpretation? I mean you could order a golf with the Oettinger kits… but…
I think you can argue it qualifies through F.2 (it's in the vw parts catalog, not VW motorsport). I don't think the Oettinger TCR rep spoiler would qualify, since you have to go through a european dealer for those (same as my street GTI TCR spoiler).

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I think you can argue it qualifies through F.2 (it's in the vw parts catalog, not VW motorsport). I don't think the Oettinger TCR rep spoiler would qualify, since you have to go through a european dealer for those (same as my street GTI TCR spoiler).

Hmm, I can see that as well. It does have a VW part number… ordered direct from the dealer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
What are you planning to do classing wise with the hood vents?

I'm thinking about doing the same, maybe making a blanking plate for autocross.

Codrive other people's cars. I drove a different car at every event in 2018 and still managed to snag #7 in overall PAX (locally). Had a lot of fun doing that. This past weekend I drove an STR prepped NC and managed to put a second on the owner, while also making a few shock tweaks to get it putting power down better.

A big blanking plate would probably satisfy anyone who wants to say it's an unfair advantage locally (based on temp logging it absolutely is). I just don't feel like doing that.

I also might just start running as exhibition since I'm helping novices this year. Not do any actual competition runs, but just take a run or two in each heat to help show novices the course, etc. Honestly that's what I have fun doing the most. I took a kid with me in the NC at this last event and ran a 50.xxx while he was running 60.xxx in his STR NB and he was like "holy shit" afterwards. 😂

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Yay, finally was able to get to event after moving to Las Vegas this year. Last year I was already 20+ events in by this time, but this year this is only the second one of the year.

I was a little nervous, have only done a few minor things to the car, but showing up with new tires.

Always room to improve, but 4th raw / 4th pax out of 80+ was a good day.

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I missed a few events, but back today with a fresh alignment. It was a little chilly for Las Vegas, with some wind, lows around mid 50°’s.

The club apparently was having issues the last event with lights, and some other tech. So they decided three runs in the AM, six in the PM which I thought was a little lame.

Not sure if it was the cold, or new alignment settings, but my back end kept wanting to come around on me more than it has in the past. I didn’t get a chance to fully play with rear tire psi’s to see if that helped, as I took off after four PM runs.

We had an out of towner stop by with his Cayman in STU, runs at the national circuits. He was my competition all day, and I see he nudged me into second place in stu after I left, by almost a full second.

Overall good to get some more seat time, but still feel pretty rusty.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Event 12 for the Las Vegas Region, and the final for 2023. We pick back up with Event 1 on January 7th.

This is the second event on my new alignment settings, and then I decided to set the FSB to full stiff, over medium stiff that I had been running. I think the combo allows for a little more oversteer than I previously had been experiencing, but today this was advantageous. After a few runs I started to hear a slight knock from the front passenger suspension. I suspect ether a endlink loosened, or possibly they're life cycle is up, and moving to the full stiff setting exasperated the failure. I'll check tomorrow when I pull my wheels off.

I also picked up a second GoPro for cheap. I've been wanting to work on getting closer to cones in the right spots on that passenger side, but still being able to review the drivers side.

I took 1st in STU, and 5th in PAX and RAW, out of 70 drivers.

1702880597047.png

1702880629680.png

Overall good day. I just couldn't beat my fast time which was run 4 of 8.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Guess the nuts on the endlinks loosened up a bit. I know I tightened them… but I did clean all the threads when I took them out.

I’ll check again after the next event, and use some loctite if they back off again.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Event 3 today, with some warm and sunny weather.

Was able to get 4th in raw, 5th in pax. Just can’t compete with the big power race cars, and the kart. https://www.lvscca.com/live/RawDay1.html

I did notice I’m picking up some fender rubbing on the rear tires. Just right where the lip of the fender is.

I guess I either need to look at higher spring rate springs (if they can be added to the B16’s) or maybe rear camber kit. Might be cheaper and easier to try and get a tad more negative camber in the back.