GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Pedal

ROBK75

Ready to race!
I've been driving my mates Audi S3 today and the main thing I noticed after getting back into my GTD was the weight of the clutch pedal compared to the S3, it's so much heavier in the Golf it took me quite a while to re-adjust.

So is my clutch on the way out or is this normal for the GTD? Obviously driving it every day I've not noticed it getting heavier and can't remember what it was like when new, but I was surprised at the huge difference between both cars.

It's not slipping or anything and seems to be working fine, but I'm just preparing myself for the worst! How much is a replacement clutch anyway?

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't think there is anything wrong with the clutch, but an s3 wouldn't be the best comparison for a start - it is a petrol engined car and probably shows no similarity or shares no parts with your GTD clutch, so I wouldn't expect them to feel the same anyway. I thought the GTD had a heavy clutch until I drove my other halves mini - bloody hell that has a heavy clutch!!!!

trick1

I don't think there is anything wrong with the clutch, but an s3 wouldn't be the best comparison for a start - it is a petrol engined car and probably shows no similarity or shares no parts with your GTD clutch, so I wouldn't expect them to feel the same anyway. I thought the GTD had a heavy clutch until I drove my other halves mini - bloody hell that has a heavy clutch!!!!

Snap. Mini far heavier.

pd150

Passed Driver's Ed
My GTD clutch feels light as a feather. But then I have come from a Sachs racing clutch.

I was under the impression clutches got light with a high engagement point as they begin to fail. At least that's how it's been on all the bangers i've ever had the misfortune to borrow in work.
Sure fire way to tell if you have an issue. Drive up a hill in 4th at about 30mph. Mash the accelerator pedal. If the rpm shoots up the clutch is on its way out. If it just does nothing or slowly increases speed or labours at low rpm. Your clutch is fine.