GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Wow review of the mk8 R.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Love this dude, hate that even legit peeps like Matt have to make faces and look like clowns on covers to catch the attention of youtubers though.
The more I see the new R the more I’m beginning to accept its stupid down caveman like brow.... just gotta wait for VW to do a refresh with real buttons on the wheel/climate control
Pet peeve of mine too. I watch LOTS of car reviews on youtube, but making a stupid face of the thumbnail will make me not click

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Pet peeve of mine too. I watch LOTS of car reviews on youtube, but making a stupid face of the thumbnail will make me not click

This is why Carfection is my go-to for modern cars and Petrolicious for classic cars.

As a film editing instructor, they’re also sources for some really well shot films.

kornsined

Go Kart Newbie
Heads up display? Must have missed that feature.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Heads up display? Must have missed that feature.
It's an option on the UK configurator. I hope it doesn't make it here, or is at least an option. I disliked the one on my Mazda 3, useless with polarized glasses and unless it's the kind that Mazda and Mini use with a pop up focus screen, they make the cost of a windshield about $1500.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
The car? Yeah, with the confirmation of a three pedal option, I'm likely in for a second year model.

I'm waiting for my current R to hit 10 years (2026 for MY, 2027 for ownership) before I start looking again. My wife already approved a Porsche Cayman as our next fun car (or Macan if we consolidate cars), so a less expensive alternative would make her happy :D I might just make it to the last year of the Mk8 haha.

Def the second MY is the way to go. I made the mistake of getting the first year of the GTI in Canada and missed out on the PP :/

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Just get the GTS Cayman, you'll forget all about the VW. If I didn't need the back seat, that or a GT4 would have happened a long time ago.

The T is my attainable dream car (Macan GTS if we consolidate) but auto rev-match can't be fully disabled :(. I also wanted the sat-nav delete, but not legal in NA :(

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I can't get excited about the current Macan. We ended up with a Q5 after shopping both. They just feel so similar and the Porsche premium is heavy. The torque vectoring is nice, but it's also weird to use it in something so big and heavy. Now if we were talking about a used Panamera Sport Turismo, I'd be all in, but the wife wouldn't budge on wanting something taller, dammit.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I can't get excited about the current Macan. We ended up with a Q5 after shopping both. They just feel so similar and the Porsche premium is heavy. The torque vectoring is nice, but it's also weird to use it in something so big and heavy. Now if we were talking about a used Panamera Sport Turismo, I'd be all in, but the wife wouldn't budge on wanting something taller, dammit.

I agree with the Porsche premium. The SQ5 is worth considering as well - when I can get over floating screens :/

And I just remembered, it's another reason the Mk8 is turn off for me.