GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Any poorly maintained car will suck. Even Civics and Corollas.

01+ 4.0s are the ones to watch out for.

Exactly. Come on, man.

The 4.0 is legendary for it's durability. I've had a number of them through the years and have known many other than have with zero issues.

Dude, people treat me like I have 2 heads when I say that shit around here.

Cheers, bro.

The first new(ish) car I bought was my MKV. I went to dealers and required no sunroof. They all thought I was mad. Took me months to find a car that didn't have a sunroof, and it was glorious. Every car I buy new(ish), I buy without a sunroof. But most of my old cars it couldn't be helped. My e30 had a manual sunroof that took up next to no space. I didn't mind that one. The 944's sunroof came out completely, which was kinda cool.

Fuck sunroofs, waste of space and money. We have one on the mazda because it was impossible to get any other options without a sunroof. It was opened one time on the test drive to make sure it works and then never opened again - and that's with a young woman driving, not me. She doesn't even open the shade for it, leaves it closed all year round.

My wife required a sunroof when we replaced the JK. The Saab has a GIGANTIC sunroof. It's actually kind of nice when the shade is open, it lets in a ridiculous about of light. The shade has been closed for 10 of the 11 months we've owned it. It's either "too cold" or "too hot" of "DON'T OPEN THAT....I can't mess up my hair". WTF is the point? The car might as well not have it for how much it's used. I think sunroofs are one of the most desired and least used features in all cars. Yet everyone that contacts me about my ATS lease asks for a sunroof, and is disappointed when it doesn't have one. DAFUQ people?

:word:

That's one downside to the celica gts, can't get it without a stupid sunroof - and the extra half inch of headroom would really help in that car. My damn head was half an inch from hitting the ceiling in the gts.

I really like how the Lotus Elise and Evora just use standard aftermarket single and double-DIN head units right from the factory. That's a brilliant move IMO since that shit goes obsolete by the time the cars ever hit dealer lots anyway. Making it stupid simple for owners to upgrade to current units is awesome (and it's stupid simple to make a running production change to newer stuff).

One day we'll reach a point where the HUs in cars are just dummy controllers for our phones. Then they'll be useful and I'll be interested. Until then, car tech will be outdated the day it goes on sale. Development periods are too long and technology advances way too quickly for cool car stuff to come out. Android Auto = done for me.

How about this for a ZFG car?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[MAZDA[RX8[]][]]&listingId=389212001&Log=0

that's cheaper than a pontiac vibe :lol:

Unless you do an LS swap or something, rotarys can't be ZFG, breh.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
I thought the rotary is add quart of oil with every tank of gas, rev to 9400 every shift, and enjoy the zoom zoom?

I want to try one, especially the R3 model with recaro's.

I've heard that even then they require engine rebuilds at ridiculous intervals (80k or something). Apex seals, breh. I honestly don't know since I've never owned one, but I've had some buddys that did and offed them before they reached a certain mileage.

The R3 with Recaros is an incredible handling machine, but it feels about as slow as a BRZ to me. It revs to the moon, but power is mediocre at best.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'10 GTI, miata, vers
the renessis is good to 200 k if you keep the proper oil in it, dont flood it (ie on cold starts YOU HAVE to let it warm up all the way or let it sit for like 6 hours).

like most things....its downfall is user errors more than bad design.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

dat 4-speed auto, I like how he bitches that it's not the elise motor though - it is the exact same motor, yamaha head and all :lol:

I really liked the 6-speed gts, probably more than any other FWD car I've driven. It did not feel like a 2-door matrix/corolla, it handled a lot better.

I've heard that even then they require engine rebuilds at ridiculous intervals (80k or something). Apex seals, breh. I honestly don't know since I've never owned one, but I've had some buddys that did and offed them before they reached a certain mileage.

The R3 with Recaros is an incredible handling machine, but it feels about as slow as a BRZ to me. It revs to the moon, but power is mediocre at best.

I'm honestly pretty much fine with the power in the FRS (for a street/autox car, track car needs more), so 15% more in a 10% heavier car seems like it should be fine too.

Fuel mileage about as bad as a CTS-V wagon in a 232 hp 3000 lb car, however, seems pretty shitty :lol:

the renessis is good to 200 k if you keep the proper oil in it, dont flood it (ie on cold starts YOU HAVE to let it warm up all the way or let it sit for like 6 hours).

like most things....its downfall is user errors more than bad design.

Good to know.

Oh, nice.

:word:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
PSA guys: OEM parts are SO much better than aftermarket.

The crown vic lost it's rear axle bearings after 300k miles (go figure it was time).

Had replacements put in then... I am guessing non OEM aftermarket shit. Now at 350k miles the right side popped, and diff fluid is leaking out of the right rear wheel again UGH!!!

The replacement parts lasted a meager 1/6 of the time!!

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
I literally hate this review guy more than anything. He is worse than wrxfag

Agreed.

PSA guys: OEM parts are SO much better than aftermarket.

The crown vic lost it's rear axle bearings after 300k miles (go figure it was time).

Had replacements put in then... I am guessing non OEM aftermarket shit. Now at 350k miles the right side popped, and diff fluid is leaking out of the right rear wheel again UGH!!!

The replacement parts lasted a meager 1/6 of the time!!

In most cases, yes. Especially with domestic parts, OEM isn't THAT much more.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Agreed.

In most cases, yes. Especially with domestic parts, OEM isn't THAT much more.

It depends... some things yes some things no.

Crown vic has an insane aftermarket due to cop/taxi usage and ppl getting possible cheapest parts.

You can brake pads for under $10 for these cars :laugh:

But I learned that lesson the hard way many times... I only go OEM on anything I can affect myself. I don't have a press to get the bearing out and I don't want to deal with removing an axle and getting the garage covered in grease.

For ex... 1 ignition coil OEM is somewhere around 40 aftermarket ~8. Multiply that by 8 and you have quite a difference.

However 2 of my aftermarket Ignition coils popped within 1k miles of installation. Fak

Honestly with a car with 300k miles it feels wrong to spend 1k in axle parts given it is worth 1k total.