GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blind Spot Monitors Not Very Bright

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Here is the work in progress pics , showing where to tap the connection lines...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Well, my attempt proved reasonably successful. I had a pair of spare mirror caps in black that I'd removed from when I purchased the folding mirrors, so I used those as my test subject.
I popped a 18mm hole in the side of the mirror cap using the hole-cutter for the parking sensors, then used these ¾" LED marker lights

and simply spliced the wires into two BSM wires that lead to the mirror glass; got them at Aliexpress, but I'm sure Amazon has something similar - this looks like them.
After I figured out the two-wire wiring (pro tip: just because your wires are white and black, DO NOT assume that the black wire is ground 🤦‍♂️), it actually turned out quite well.
(Frame rate of the camera and the LEDs not playing nice - in real life, both LEDs fade in/out smoothly.)

Last edited:

Sami4sunday

Car(s)
Lexus IS 350
I just came from a Lexus IS and the blind spot mirror light was wayy brighter. It’s identical in size and shape, and when it came on there was no chance of missing it. On the GTI (mine is a 2021 SE) the light is so weak, you’re not really sure it’s on and find myself doing a shoulder check defeating the purpose of having it. I like to keep my car as OEM as possible, so a stronger bulb (+mirror) is definitely needed. Sad VW still didn’t take care of this yet.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Just got back from ~1500km road trip over the past week, and my add-on LEDs do work very well - they catch my peripheral vision and encourage me to look over that direction without thinking about it (in case I wasn't going to do so anyway). Well worth the $3 and a couple hours. :)