GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bgons' GTI - The Daily

bgons

Car(s)
'18 GTI DSG
Have spent many hours on this forum and enjoyed reading everyone else’s story so why not share mine to document the process. As basic as it is, the build is focusing on being a fun daily driver.

My name's Brandon, I'm from Southern Ontario and work in HR. I was never interested in cars until my best friend recommended a GTI to me when I was asking for advice on what cars to consider. He invited me to a VW/Audi community on facebook and I got bit by the bug pretty quickly after learning how much potential these cars have with just a tune. My idea for the GTI was to keep it modest and to space out the timeline for mods so I would get the most enjoyment from each change individually. I’ve never modified a car before my GTI and this was my first VW, so after a bit of research on the platform I planned for some basic bolt ons, a few cosmetic changes, and eventually tuning the car when the warranty finished.

2018 VW GTI Autobahn trim in White Silver Metallic

Autobahn trim is a bit of a weird for the 2018 year in Canada, I have just about every optional feature (fender, sunroof, dual climate, leather, DAP, LP, PP, etc.) except DCC. The thing I find interesting about my spec is that it is a 2018 facelift model but I still have the DQ250 6 speed DSG transmission. For me, stage 1 and a clubsport muffler has plenty of power for a daily and an ideal noise level. I'm not interested in pops and bangs but it's got good volume (over 2200rpm) when you put your foot down, and the dsg farts are pretty loud between shifts over 5k rpm which is plenty noise for me. The colour is amazing, I never wanted a white car but this white silver metallic was my top choice as soon as I saw it. I still look back at the car walking into work every day because it looks slightly different almost every time, could be silver, could be white, could have a blue tint to it.

Mod List (Updated March 2022)
Performance (Engine/Exhaust)
  • IE Stage 1 ECU – 91 oct high torque (305bhp/385tq)
  • IE DSG Tune (DQ250)
  • Racingline R600 Intake (swapped foam filter for cotton)
  • MST Performance inlet kit
  • Clubsport S Muffler (adjusted tips for 7.5 valence, was cheaper than buying TCR muffler)
  • CTS Resonator delete pipe
Suspension/Wheels
  • Eibach pro kit – 1.2” drop (more like 1.5)
  • ECS flush kit – 15mm and 20mm spacers
  • Summer: 18” OEM Pretorias (black) on 225/40/18 Conti ECS
  • Winter: 18” OEM Miltons on 225/40/18 Michelin x-ice xi3
Cosmetic/Other:
  • OBDeleven – adaptations include: soudaktor off, increased throttle pedal response, increased engine responsiveness (audi), front DRL and rear side markers disabled, auto lock enabled, remote windows up/down, mirror dip on reverse, 3rd brake light with unlock/lock, dotted virtual cockpit, Fan level display on auto.
  • Thinkware Q800 Pro – Hardwired, 1440p front 1080p rear dash cam
  • Llumar Pinnacle Ceramic Tint – 20%
  • 3d Spyder Mats
  • Maxton Design spoiler extension
  • Maxton Design rear valence diffuser
  • Amazon aluminum paddles (red)
  • Etsy trunk emblem – gloss black
  • Dynamic turn signals – smoked
  • Badgeskins – front emblem, front/rear/side badges, 3rd brake light tint, rear reflector tint, rear tail tint, front amber delete, volume knob, passenger air bag, steering wheel logos
Possible Future Mods
  • Mud Flaps (minimal ones)
  • Rain guards
  • Side mirror cover – gloss black (will make me look like a real 2019 rabbit lol)
  • Rear sway bar
  • Change exhaust tips (not a fan of chrome, change to silver/black)
  • Struts
  • Dogbone mount
  • DSG shift knob (raceseng)
  • Steering wheel wrap
  • DEauto LED floor lights
  • Ceramic coat/paint correction
Special thanks to Club Wolfsburg on FB, GolfMK7, and VWvortex forums for their community discussions. You all have informed my decisions throughout this whole process and helped me find a life long passion for cars.

May 2019. Don't remember much but the car was purchased with around 11,000km, one previous owner, and from a private dealership that sold only mercedes and bmw's.
vw11.jpg

August 2019. Left it pretty much stock that first year besides grabbing a set of 3d spyder mats. I also hated the silver badges so I changed those to red front and back.
vw12.jpg

July 2020. After a full year of driving in a fishbowl I decided to get the windows tinted. Went with Llumar's Pinnacle ceramic tint at 20%. Have to park outside so I wanted to do what I could to help keep the car cool and maybe even protect the leather a bit. It's been 2 years and haven't had any trouble with a darker tint in Ontario.
vw1.jpg

Decided to deal with the first couple problems I had with the GTI, mainly the sunroof creaking on uneven ground, especially driveways. Found a lot of people had this issue and someone in the Club Wolfsburg facebook group posted someone else's very detailed diagram on how to fix the problem so shout out to whoever made that.
vw13.jpg

August 2020. Mod bug was biting hard so for my very first engine mods I decided to dip my toes in with a few basic one's that wouldn't dramatically change the car. Picked up the Racingline R600 intake with an upgraded cotton filter, an MST Performance inlet kit, and a CTS resonator delete. Intake setup is great, sounds good too. I figured the added sound would tie me over and the extra airflow would have a small benefit when I do eventually get a tune. Everyone says you can't notice a difference with a resonator delete but coming from someone who drove their GTI stock for over a year and had never done any exhaust mods, I noticed a slight difference. Cold starts were noticeably louder and shifting at high rpm in 2nd and 3rd produced a tiny dsg fart.

vw2.jpg

September 2020. A couple more badgeskin tints to add to the black out theme. Tinted the white strip in the tail light, 3rd brake light, and bumper reflector
vw3.jpg

December 2020. First warranty item came up, gas door actuator was locking up in the freezing temperatures and was pretty annoying to deal with so had that replaced.

May 2021. Upgraded from the hose to a foam cannon/power washer setup. Also did Badgeskins amber delete for the headlights as well as the black front emblem.
vw4.jpg

July 2021. Picked up a cheap used Maxton spoiler and a set of Fast FC04 wheels with almost new Michelin x-ice xi3's just to change things up and because I needed winter tires for the upcoming season. Ended up selling the wheels because I didn't like the fitment and I still wanted Pretoria's, they were my dream wheel when I first got my GTI despite how common they are now. Worked out well though, got almost new winter's for $250.
vw5.jpg

August 2021. Bought a black badge off of etsy, seemed to be the only place I could find a good quality replacement that was just gloss black. Don't mind the dirty muffler tips, by this point I had placed an order for a Clubsport S muffler two months prior and figured it could show up anytime.
vw6.jpg

Last edited:

bgons

Car(s)
'18 GTI DSG
August 2021 was a busy month for the car. I put on some dynamic signals, replaced the Maxton spoiler and grabbed their rear valence piece as well. Didn't want a super aggressive diffuser and the stock rear valence was a bit too plain for me. I also purchased OBDeleven at this point and did quite a few adaptations which are listed in my first post.
vw8.jpg

Last pic with the Fast FC04 wheels, followed by the new wheels. I would have kept the fast wheels if the offset was a bit higher but I knew once I lowered the car and got spacers the fitment would not work well. They were a convenient buy but a perfect opportunity to buy some 18" black Pretoria's from a 2019 rabbit gti came up.

vw10.jpg

September 2021. Was really excited to finally get my hands on a pair of Pretoria's after waiting a year or so for the right opportunity.
vw14.jpg

October 2021. At this point I was planning for the ECU/TCU tune in the following Spring since my warranty was running out. Too many slow afternoons at work had me looking at car parts a lot and I ended up pulling the trigger on Eibach springs and ECS spacers. Was supposed to be a drop of 1.2 inches but it's definitely settled to more than that, around 1.5 inches or more but I'm happy with it. The spacers fill out both sets of my OEM wheels really well. Will have to do the fender screw mod eventually because the stock Milton's rub a tiny bit in the front on harsh bumps and potholes.
vw15.jpg

Love the fitment with the 15mm spacers in the front. The 18" Pretorias are 18x7.5 like the OEM Milton's but et51 instead of et49.
vw17.jpg

December 2021. Clubsport S muffler finally arived. Had the tips adjusted and got it installed shortly after. Paired with the resonator delete the sound is perfect, quiet when you're light on the throttle cruising around town, but when you get on it it gets decently loud and the dsg farts are very noticeable now. Pretty much perfect oem+ exhaust setup for the NA 7.5 GTI's in my opinion. There's some foreshadowing in the picture too, my passenger tail light has condensation in it lol.

vw21.jpg

January 2022. Warranty time, called my local VW to get some warranty work done was they told me my warranty was ending in March. Perfect timing for me, I was planning to get tuned around then anyways. Passenger tail light section on the hatch had to be replaced and they did the shifter trim at the same time since there was a recall (mine was fine). I also warrantied the gas door/actuator one more time just in case, it was starting to stick again but still functioned. Reached out to badgeskins for a replacement on my tail light tint and they sent it out at the cost of shipping, pretty happy with that because I wasn't going to pay full price again.

March 2022. Finally time for the tune, sure as hell waited long enough. I bounced back and forth from IE to EQT for a while but at the end of the day I wanted to set it and forget it for my first tune and I didn't want a Cobb AP because it was more of an investment at the time, even though it has a lot more features to offer. IE had their spring sale going on and I saved over $200 with just that so it was definitely worth it to me and I have no regrets. Went with their Stage 1 high torque 91 octane tune and the DSG tune too. I still have winter tires on and the weather hasn't been great but I can definitely say driving home was like a completely different car. It's been about a week now and the power delivery, gear mapping, everything is perfect. I didn't expect my car to sound any different with just new plugs and a stage 1 tune but it does. At first I thought it was just the DSG tune keeping the car at higher rpm's and I wasn't used to that but it's louder all around. Cold starts even have a couple burbles, light throttle in lower rpm's is audible in the cabin, dsg farts happen at almost any rpm above 2500 as long as I have more than 25% throttle and they are louder than ever at WOT. I may actually consider driving in eco mode when I have certain guests in the car now lol. I can't wait to test things out properly with some new summer tires I'll be getting in the next month or so (looking at Continental extreme contact sports). I don't commute on the highway so have only got to try a couple pulls in 2nd and 3rd with poor grip in these conditions but overall amazing first impression on IE's Stage 1 and DSG tune. Picked up an IE badge for the hatch too.

42A53B55-7934-4C76-8E06-0561B627C572.jpeg

Last edited:

MK_NBO

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.4 TSi HL
Nice build!

Quick question, how did you install the Maxton Rear valence? Was it clipless and thus needed screwing into the bumper?

bgons

Car(s)
'18 GTI DSG
New tires on last week, conti extreme contact sports in stock size 225/40/18. They grip really well and the stopping power in the wet is great too. Haven’t done a launch but no slipping WOT in second gear, which wasn’t possible even on the stock tune. I think my only complaint is that these tires throw a lot of pebbles into my wheel well but overall I’m really impressed with them.
DF041C9D-D905-4C76-92BE-7B9299BFB28B.jpeg