GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Areaview Retrofit Progress

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Once you guys figure out the side cameras... I'll probably just chop the fakra's and pin them using my existing door connectors. I've done my share of terminating coax, triax and (awful) quadrax connectors so I'm not that concerned with screwing anything up. That being said, I didn't even consider the problem of running video line into the doors until these recent posts 🤦‍♂️.

CarloP

Can you please summarize what needed to be modified in order for the rear camera to fit?
I explain how I installed front and rear camera:

For fixing the front camera I used the following two spare parts for Tiguan R-Line (the only one in glossy black cover) (3G0 980 554 B / 3G0 980 803 E / 3G9 980 561 C)

IMG_6505.jpeg

For fixing the rear camera in the emblem VW I used the original high version rear view camera for Golf 7. It was very difficult to adapt it but in the end everything went right and I've been using it for days.
There are many elements to file for the areaview camera to enter the logo, I'll show them in the photos.

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

CarloP

Well, did some more research and tried to find the proper way to run the wire to the mirror and it seems like the main door connector needs to be changed to support it, is there a way around it? how did you guys do this?

yes, tiguan door connectors are used. I installed these along with lighted exterior door handles, lighted door sill plates and RGB ambient lighting.
IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0468.jpg
IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0505.jpg
IMG_0482.jpg
E7C04609-8828-4F6B-8DD6-AAD7805579A2.jpg
09F6571A-5D6C-4417-914B-522B9907DF13.JPG
IMG_0478.jpg

033833A2-888D-4C4A-9C7D-9C6F1BF00474.JPG

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
The harness i got had came with pins. Their instructions said to cut the fakra connector off and pin the cable into the stock door harness connector. I dont plan on doing that, i got fakra door connectors. The only problem with using the fakra door connectors is some of the harnesses sold on aliexpress wont work. The fakra cable that fits in the connector you pictured is different then a regular fakra. I havent started the door part of it yet. Gotta wait till after chinese new year to get a harness (the one i got wont work for reasons i stated above), going todo the rgb lights at the same time.
Thats what I Thought of doing, Is it wrong to pin the cable in the door connector? are there even empty spots in the connector?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Very nice car!
Would you mind sharing the part numbers for these connectors?
8R0-972-702
8R0-972-701

The PDF is from etka. Has all the part numbers for the male and female pins, tools needed to depin etc

Attachments

• WEB-CON-001805.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Thats what I Thought of doing, Is it wrong to pin the cable in the door connector? are there even empty spots in the connector?
I don't think it's wrong, but I had problems when I cut the cable to run the hatch camera. I could never get it to work after that

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So if one gets the Tiguan door handles I assume they also need to get a Tiguan areaview harness in order to have the right angle Fakra, correct?
Capture.JPG

**** This (part of) this post is off topic ****
Just as I was going to ask about the door handles I chose the less-lazy route. My memory from the past was you could only get KESSY illuminated door handles.
But this morning I see that is no longer the case... https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804250181796.html
As I'm sure you can guess... I've got them coming 🤦‍♂️.

Also, @CarloP, I see you have the same weirdness with the front illumination "sun" icon being on the steering wheel instead of the dash.
At some point I'm going to modify the GCA file to fix that... https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mib2-high-discover-pro-toolbox.367798/post-7873345

1671727426403.png

Also noticed your door handle lights (in car) are white but your infotainment shows them as purple (RGB)... you can fix that in the BCM adaptations...
- interior_light_2nd_generation_p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI... change bit 3 from 1 > 0... so from xxxx1xxx > xxxx0xxx
- this will change the door handle light from RGB to white on the infotainment screen (unless you're planning to replace with an RGB 😁)

Last edited:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
So if one gets the Tiguan door handles I assume they also need to get a Tiguan areaview harness in order to have the right angle Fakra, correct?
View attachment 268635

**** This (part of) this post is off topic ****
Just as I was going to ask about the door handles I chose the less-lazy route. My memory from the past was you could only get KESSY illuminated door handles.
But this morning I see that is no longer the case... https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804250181796.html
As I'm sure you can guess... I've got them coming 🤦‍♂️.

Also, @CarloP, I see you have the same weirdness with the front illumination "sun" icon being on the steering wheel instead of the dash.
At some point I'm going to modify the GCA file to fix that... https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mib2-high-discover-pro-toolbox.367798/post-7873345

View attachment 268636

Also noticed your door handle lights (in car) are white but your infotainment shows them as purple (RGB)... you can fix that in the BCM adaptations...
- interior_light_2nd_generation_p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI... change bit 3 from 1 > 0... so from xxxx1xxx > xxxx0xxx
- this will change the door handle light from RGB to white on the infotainment screen (unless you're planning to replace with an RGB
It doesn't have to be a tiguan. I've seen audi ones that would work. It's more about the connector than the model. They can go either was for any model harness. Some want you to cut and splice, others have the right termination.

Fuck, I hate when you post links. Always cost me money. 🤣

Wish they would allow you to chose a color, Or matte chrome to make my mirror covers.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think it's wrong, but I had problems when I cut the cable to run the hatch camera. I could never get it to work after that
Why? that was my idea, at least for the rear camera.

I Wanted to cut the area view cable and connect it to the highline wires that are already in the trunk rubber grommet as I will not be needing those anymore I assume.

Worst case scenario I will be cutting the area view cable and fishing it through the grommet and then solder it back together, cant see any reason why it would not work.

Please explain.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I suspect it's just a matter of how easy it is to have spliced video lines that don't work anymore... happens all the time.

@xabhax Yea color selection would be nice for the handles. As far as the harness... all the ones I see on Ali look to have straight connectors all around.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Why? that was my idea, at least for the rear camera.

I Wanted to cut the area view cable and connect it to the highline wires that are already in the trunk rubber grommet as I will not be needing those anymore I assume.

Worst case scenario I will be cutting the area view cable and fishing it through the grommet and then solder it back together, cant see any reason why it would not work.

Please explain.
I probably just did something wrong when splicing. Cuzoe much better with wiring than me. If he says it will work, it should.

If your gonna fish the cable, you won't have to cut it. It will fit through rubber cable run.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I probably just did something wrong when splicing. Cuzoe much better with wiring than me. If he says it will work, it should.

If your gonna fish the cable, you won't have to cut it. It will fit through rubber cable run.
I'll update you guys when the wiring arrives.

xabhax, Is your solution to mounting the front camera good enough for the camera to have the full FOV? or Is it better for the camera to be down in the grille? A Golf R or R line has it easy, a GTI is way different.