GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^another update, wow!

i wouldn't honestly expect much of a difference in 1/8 mile testing, but would definitely assume you would start seeing some better numbers by some margin in 1/4 imle and certainly half mile. Your car still seems to take off plenty strong and sounds great.

remember, 400whp vs ~360whp is an ~11% horsepower advantage - which of course does not mean the car does 11% better track numbers.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
After digesting some of the info from yesterday. It's all about expectations. I was wrongly expecting something almost comparable to the hybrid turbo option with a downpipe. Which was silly of me, because you can't make those type of power levels without altering the downpipe at the very least.

If you strictly compare the DTR option to a stage 1 tune option, then yes it's absolutely a good jump. Especially since I think the stage 1 to stage 2 jump has always been pretty weak in comparison(I only gained a couple tenths going from stage 1 to stage 2 and 2mph). Going from stage 1 to DTR is a significant increase in comparison.
These are my stage 1 runs compared to the DTR. 4 tenths and 4mph is pretty solid. Especially with the stock downpipe still in place. If you compare apples to apples (stock downpipe IS38, to stock downpipe DTR) then it looks pretty promising.
1653483682402.jpeg
1653484007637.jpeg

Another thing to note, if you even look at my videos and the p3 gauge in my vent, you can see my IAT's. The car got really heat soaked waiting in line. My IAT's were around 145 at the line, they only ever got down to about 110 when I was actually going down the track. If I had to guess, that's why the car felt so much happier on the street then on the track yesterday.

Yes the downpipe and custom tune would 100% help. But I'd like to try squeeze what I can out of this setup with the APR tune still intact. Call it a bit of a science experiment. I just want to see whats possible with this thing without going down the custom tune route. Here are my thoughts on options to go forwards from here.
-Switch to e85 tune(no MPI but more timing i'm sure)
-Add a meth kit (bring IAT's way down and hopefully have same sort of timing you see cruising on the street)
-Both?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
After digesting some of the info from yesterday. It's all about expectations. I was wrongly expecting something almost comparable to the hybrid turbo option with a downpipe. Which was silly of me, because you can't make those type of power levels without altering the downpipe at the very least.

If you strictly compare the DTR option to a stage 1 tune option, then yes it's absolutely a good jump. Especially since I think the stage 1 to stage 2 jump has always been pretty weak in comparison(I only gained a couple tenths going from stage 1 to stage 2 and 2mph). Going from stage 1 to DTR is a significant increase in comparison.
These are my stage 1 runs compared to the DTR. 4 tenths and 4mph is pretty solid. Especially with the stock downpipe still in place. If you compare apples to apples (stock downpipe IS38, to stock downpipe DTR) then it looks pretty promising.

Another thing to note, if you even look at my videos and the p3 gauge in my vent, you can see my IAT's. The car got really heat soaked waiting in line. My IAT's were around 145 at the line, they only ever got down to about 110 when I was actually going down the track. If I had to guess, that's why the car felt so much happier on the street then on the track yesterday.

Yes the downpipe and custom tune would 100% help. But I'd like to try squeeze what I can out of this setup with the APR tune still intact. Call it a bit of a science experiment. I just want to see whats possible with this thing without going down the custom tune route. Here are my thoughts on options to go forwards from here.
-Switch to e85 tune(no MPI but more timing i'm sure)
-Add a meth kit (bring IAT's way down and hopefully have same sort of timing you see cruising on the street)

What do you guys think?

It was really hot here on the east coast last week, what day was this? Assume you were waiting in the sun? Times like that you'd almost want to blast the IC with CO2 just before your run!

Edit: Or better yet blast it with nitrous

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
It was really hot here on the east coast last week, what day was this? Assume you were waiting in the sun? Times like that you'd almost want to blast the IC with CO2 just before your run!

Edit: Or better yet blast it with nitrous
It was 65 out, but yes waiting in the sun, even with the hood up in the staging line, it made no difference to the IATs. I wish I could spray the IC down with even water but its behind the condenser so you can't even do that.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
It was 65 out, but yes waiting in the sun, even with the hood up in the staging line, it made no difference to the IATs. I wish I could spray the IC down with even water but its behind the condenser so you can't even do that.
That is one benefit of FMICs! Though, I remember seeing some kits with tubed sprayers.

One min later...

Here they are: https://www.designengineering.com/products/cryo2/

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
@Arin@APR any idea if this package is going to made available for the '22 Arteon now that it's moving to the MK7.5 R engine and DSG transmission?

(I do not own one, just curious. Plus a 400hp Arteon would be a very tempting purchase option for my next DD.)
The new Arteon has an EA888.4 engine. It's very different. Like the MK8 Golf R. We're working on a different turbo setup for those.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The new Arteon has an EA888.4 engine. It's very different. Like the MK8 Golf R. We're working on a different turbo setup for those.
Thanks for the reply! Based on the HP rating I wrongly assumed it was the previous gen R engine/turbo.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
This turbo is best compared to your stock turbo stock downpipe, or IS38 with stock downpipe. It's emissions legal and the path for upgrading is keeping that in mind (at least with our provided software and legit package). At the track though there are tons of variables (Grip, density altitude, etc) but anyone who has driven this turbo knows one thing, it pulls hard to redline especially in 3rd, 4th, 5th.. It keeps going. The short game, or 1/8th, is really not where this will shine in comparison to a smaller turbo setup in my opinion.

Side note: We do have an update coming for the R. I suspect the team will have all the files ready this week. At lest that's my hope!
@Arin@APR , couple technical questions for you. Since at the track my IAT's were scorching.. what is the sweet spot sort of speak in IAT's to receive optimal power output on the 93 tune? Under 100F? Under 80F? I just want to gauge where the power starts dropping off. The main reason I'm asking, I had my p3 gauge reading 0-60 time at the track. I know its not accurate but its a helpful gauge. At the track it with the crazy IAT's was reading between 3.7-3.8 even with the high launch rpm(4500). On the street, I'm able to pull off a 3.4 with ~80F IAT's and lower launch rpm (3750). That's a pretty significant difference. I also swear on the street the car pulls much harder up top, at the track, I honestly felt the car getting choked up after 60 mph.
Is it possible I was down on power quite a bit due the high IAT's in regards to safety parameters in the tune?

If yes, would switching to the e85 tune negate a lot of that timing loss from high IAT's on the 93 tune?

The other question is, do you have anymore information about the update on the R tune?

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Which intercooler are you running? Sometimes you can rev the engine a few times to pull fresh air through the system and get it to cool down a bit. I love seeing temps below 40C, but that's not always possible.

E85 is like race fuel, but runs cooler. So it reduces knock, you can run more timing even at higher temps. It's just happier (if you have enough fueling capacity) in so many more ways compared to pump fuel.

R tune update should do what we advertise if it's not already. Couple early protection updates and thinks of that nature if I'm understanding correctly.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
As of right now, I don't have much to say. I'll just post the slips.
Stage 2:
View attachment 250245
DTR @ 3750 launch:
View attachment 250246
4500 launch:
View attachment 250247

I really expected more with ~400whp. Seems like theres basically zero difference between the DTR and stage 2 Unitronic at the track. The extra tenth could easily be chalked up to me adding 034 motor mounts since my stockers were wasted.
The wind has been taken out of my sails tonight, I have no excuses. I thought at least a 7.3 @ mid 90s would have been a realistic expectation. This is all I could manage today. Even the rear seat delete didn't help.
I wonder if a 1/4 mile experience would be different as there may be a little more time in the meat of the upper range of the powerband where this turbo and tune seem to shine?

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Which intercooler are you running? Sometimes you can rev the engine a few times to pull fresh air through the system and get it to cool down a bit. I love seeing temps below 40C, but that's not always possible.

E85 is like race fuel, but runs cooler. So it reduces knock, you can run more timing even at higher temps. It's just happier (if you have enough fueling capacity) in so many more ways compared to pump fuel.

R tune update should do what we advertise if it's not already. Couple early protection updates and thinks of that nature if I'm understanding correctly.
Currently running a Unitronic IC. Now that you mention it, when I reviewed the run at the track, I can see my IAT's at 144F pulling up to the line, just being in launch control for a few seconds I see it drop to 131F, once I take off it drops down to about 110 throughout first gear. A little above the 40C you mentioned but not crazy. Would an IAT difference from say 80F on the street to 110F on the track make that big of a difference?

From your response, it almost sounds like I should take the car back to the track after the update and see if there are any differences. I just cant shake the feeling the car has more in it. Even in the 1/8th mile. Wish I had a draggy to compare on the track numbers with 110F IAT's vs on the street with 80F IAT's to display the difference.

I wonder if a 1/4 mile experience would be different as there may be a little more time in the meat of the upper range of the powerband where this turbo and tune seem to shine?
Hard to say, I'd like to think so. I do eventually want to make a 1/4 pass, but that track is about a hour and a half away from me. I'd like to get any bugs worked out, if any, before I make a day of it out there.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I don't think i noticed that you could run straight E85 on the R tune with just the HPFP and LPFP before, maybe thats also part of the update? Looks to gain ~10WHP and ~20 FTlbs, wonder at what cost that is to mileage.

Still really wanna see some data or logging on simply running E67 on the 93 tune, or if i should try and dedicate to E85, at the cost of alot of MPG lol

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
I don't think i noticed that you could run straight E85 on the R tune with just the HPFP and LPFP before, maybe thats also part of the update? Looks to gain ~10WHP and ~20 FTlbs, wonder at what cost that is to mileage.

Still really wanna see some data or logging on simply running E67 on the 93 tune, or if i should try and dedicate to E85, at the cost of alot of MPG lol
It just so happened I found a station with E85 that wasn't listed on the typical e85 site maps on the way to the track. Literally in the middle of nowhere. It's only about 15 mins away from me which is tolerable, and its way cheaper than 93. So I'm thinking about switching to the e85 flash next go around and trying it out, even if I don't have MPI yet.