GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apartment policies and cash grab - WWYD

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
In some places 200K gets you a full house, with a nice piece of property, and a garage.

In others it gets you a 1 bedroom condo, with stupid-ass HOA fees, and outside parking.

If you can rent a house, or buy a condo too small for your family, the choice is pretty obvious :p

Actually on topic: unfortunately you will almost always be burned in these kind of situations by your own honesty. Although pulling off an illegal 2 month sub-let might've been difficult anyway, unless you had someone lined up.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
In some places 200K gets you a full house, with a nice piece of property, and a garage.

In others it gets you a 1 bedroom condo, with stupid-ass HOA fees, and outside parking.

If you can rent a house, or buy a condo too small for your family, the choice is pretty obvious :p

Actually on topic: unfortunately you will almost always be burned in these kind of situations by your own honesty. Although pulling off an illegal 2 month sub-let might've been difficult anyway, unless you had someone lined up.

Yeah I'm happy the manager saw eye to eye with me and agreed to my deal. It somehow worked out for me even though I was expecting a shitty outcome, and honestly, worked out better for them anyway. They get to rent it out sooner than planned and they still get my rent money. If I was going to have to pay them for it anyway, might as well let them benefit even more from the situation

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Not everyone is able to afford a mortgage where they live as you mentioned. We rented for about 8 years before we were able to buy our house. Honestly, aside form the annual rental increase, our renting experience was quite tolerable, but I know others, like OP, have nightmare experiences.

If you live in the East Bay, your downpayment alone probably could buy a home outright somewhere in middle America.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
If you live in the East Bay, your downpayment alone probably could buy a home outright somewhere in middle America.

I remember having a similar conversation in a different thread a while ago. Somebody posted an apartment that was smaller than my garage that cost twice as much as my half acre lot and 1500 sq ft house. Some places are wild, man.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I remember having a similar conversation in a different thread a while ago. Somebody posted an apartment that was smaller than my garage that cost twice as much as my half acre lot and 1500 sq ft house. Some places are wild, man.

Where I live is not as bad as the Bay area or NYC but close... I could never afford to buy the home I have today if I hadn't entered the market 7 years ago. The market growth is perverse.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Where I live is not as bad as the Bay area or NYC but close... I could never afford to buy the home I have today if I hadn't entered the market 7 years ago. The market growth is perverse.

If you bought anywhere near Boston 7 years ago you made $$$$.