GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another (suspected) water pump leak?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I’m after a bit of help from those who have or had or seen water pump/thermostat housing leaks on the Mk7 GTi,

First off I’ve noticed after a decent drive when the car is hot that once turned off I sometimes get a bit of steam from the right of the upper grill, along with this I’m sure I’m smelling a faint coolant odour while the bonnet is open! The car has to be nice and hot for this to happen, Looking into this online it points at water (surface/rain) having got onto the inter cooler and steaming off, although this was on an R, I’m still not sure about this bit however as it appears to happen if wet or dry, the last time I’m sure it was dry enough that no water would be on the inter cooler, I have added a bit of water to the system once since September 2018 at around jan this year and then none since, I don’t get to regularly park on a level surface so hard to monitor levels! I recently had a front fog light replaced under warranty and got them to pressure test which they said was good! But I did point out to them that there was a residue on the underside of the pump but they dismissed this, today I got to have another look and there is something there and it appears a tiny little bit wet, maybe a very small weeping leak,
what do you guys think? Could this be a leak and if so could it pass a pressure test?? Or is it normal/something else? Thanks.

Hard to get good pictures but the residue looks a bit like limescale,

Taken from directly under the pump with the bottom of the pictures being towards the front of the car,

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
I'm dealing with the same issue. In the process of trying to figure out which dealer to take it to without worrying they will make the car worse lol