GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Airbag indicator always on?

irondwill

For some reason, the "Passenger Airbag Disabled" light at the top of my center column is always illuminated even if there is no one in the car with me.

Any idea if something is wrong or if there is a way for me to disable this light through the software?

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Open passenger side door... look at the edge of the dash there you will find the switch... insert key and turn on!

irondwill

Ugh so according to the American owner's manual, that light is always on unless there is an adult occupying the passenger's seat. And, of course, if the bulb burns out or is bypassed then a secondary sensor will get aggravated.

how annoying.

Stonefish74

Ready to race!
Air Bag switch... UK!

Seems I was giving out bum instructions... yet another difference between UK/Euro and Stateside models!

Here's what we have...
Passenger Air Bag.jpg

irondwill

VWoA got back to me

Congratulations on the purchase of your new 2015 GTI! That is so exciting, and I’m glad that you are enjoying it overall!
I understand having the Passenger Air Bag Off light being on is frustrating when no one is in the passenger seat. I reviewed with our product support team to see if there is a way to turn this feature off. I regret, due to safety reasons, the Airbag Off Light cannot be turned off.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me again. Enjoy the road ahead.

so I guess that's that :(

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Irondwill - this is a little confusing - is it the case that there is no manual switch in the US model for turning off the passenger airbag?

If the system is automatic and based on detection of a person in the seat then I guess you would be stuck with the warning light on (unless someone is occupying the seat of course) - but surely it can be manually over-ridden if for example a baby seat is in the front?

slush.puppie

Ready to race!
Irondwill - this is a little confusing - is it the case that there is no manual switch in the US model for turning off the passenger airbag?

If the system is automatic and based on detection of a person in the seat then I guess you would be stuck with the warning light on (unless someone is occupying the seat of course) - but surely it can be manually over-ridden if for example a baby seat is in the front?

total shot in the dark, and probably wrong, but based on other US cars i've owned - is the same switch in the photo above located in the glovebox in the NA MK7 per chance? i've had them located there a few times.

irondwill

According to the user's manual (and the email I got from VWoA) this is the case - it's automated based on a sensor in the passenger seat.

Which is fine! But the fact that there is a constant, prominent light on the console telling me when it's off is an annoyance.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
According to the user's manual (and the email I got from VWoA) this is the case - it's automated based on a sensor in the passenger seat.

Which is fine! But the fact that there is a constant, prominent light on the console telling me when it's off is an annoyance.

So the automated sensor differentiates between a child plus rear facing child seat loaded on the seat but hopefully automatically switches the airbag on when a young lightweight adult sits in the front passenger seat ?

Seams a bit hit & miss unless the Isofix fittings sense a child seat is being used perhaps, puzzling especially in a litigatious place like the US.

Luckily here the warning light extinguishes automatically after about one minute.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I agree VWman - very strange set-up.....

irondwill

So the automated sensor differentiates between a child plus rear facing child seat loaded on the seat but hopefully automatically switches the airbag on when a young lightweight adult sits in the front passenger seat ?

Seams a bit hit & miss unless the Isofix fittings sense a child seat is being used perhaps, puzzling especially in a litigatious place like the US.

Luckily here the warning light extinguishes automatically after about one minute.

Yeah it's almost certainly an attempt to minimize risk exposure and comply with the pile of regulations surrounding airbags. The fact that the lawyers ended up with this particular solution - leaving the "airbag off" indicator on at all times that the seat is empty - is a little vexing.

Though in pretty much all other aspects I love the car, so I guess a quirk like this isn't such a big deal.