GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Great stuff @AzteCypher.

My daughters bday is in about a month I like that idea of making something maybe as a party gift.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I've been doing that for a few years now and it always goes over well with the kids. I've done Pikachu for my son and My Little Pony for my daughter as well. My wife gets a kick out of it as well since I've made her some stuff and stuff for around the house. Makes buying filament and mods "easier". :D

Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Does printing something useful, for your 3d printer, count as useful printing?

20230118_220115.jpg
20230118_220121.jpg

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Absolutely!

On another note. What's everyone doing for their filament storage solution? My Ender 3 is currently sitting on an old printer/file cabinet piece. I was using the drawer where the files are stored as filament storage but I've acquired more filament than the little drawer can hold.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Currently I've got all my filament sitting unpacked in the same boxes they were sold in, open face and all. :ROFLMAO:

My previous post is going to be my solution for as many of those Rubbermaid boxes as I can buy cheaply. I'm also thinking of getting an airtight plastic bin that can hold 3-4 rolls and just dumping a bunch of desiccant in it.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Currently I've got all my filament sitting unpacked in the same boxes they were sold in, open face and all. :ROFLMAO:

My previous post is going to be my solution for as many of those Rubbermaid boxes as I can buy cheaply. I'm also thinking of getting an airtight plastic bin that can hold 3-4 rolls and just dumping a bunch of desiccant in it.
Same. My wife frequents The Container Store, so I may accompany her on the next visit to see what they might have. Then I'll just order some desiccant packs.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks for that link. Currently, mine sit inside of gallon ziploc bags with whatever desiccant packs I come across. Those bags then sit inside the drawer. I definitely need to find something better. I'm liking those rubbermaid boxes.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
My printer is in the basement and I have my filament on the floor. Gonna build/buy a rack to put it on at some point. De-humidifier is down here but don’t need it in the cold months. Come spring time I’ll look into containers for it.

Found this flexi octopus on Thingiverse. I think I’ll do this in rainbow PLA for the bday party.

107D2CE9-0AA0-4F0B-B5F4-86E040084D8A.jpeg

Also printing another tool holder that I remixed to fit a wider scrapper and another Allen key. Enlarged one of the screwdriver holes too.

7841B4E1-7B7D-4CCB-AAEF-AC71C0AEFD8B.jpeg

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
39224395-161C-43B5-ABD5-0AAEEC579D15.jpeg

Need to design a better mount. Right now the camera is just sitting on the top edge of the printer.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thanks for that link. Currently, mine sit inside of gallon ziploc bags with whatever desiccant packs I come across. Those bags then sit inside the drawer. I definitely need to find something better. I'm liking those rubbermaid boxes.
Here the thingiverse link if you want to print it yourself.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4976052

There are some links on there for most of the stuff you need, except for the Rubbermaid boxes themselves. I found some on amazon but they were stupid expensive ($30/2). I did however find them on walmart.com for around $8 each. That's more in line with what I was willing to spend.

An update on the box. Hygrometer shows 10% humidity inside the box since I left it sitting overnight. The room has been around 40% humidity. We'll have to wait until summer to get a good test of how effective the box really is.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Can you mount off the rail?

I bet you can find something on thingverse like a filament holder meant to slide into the rail and just remix that to extend out and hold the camera.

Yeah. I found a couple. Debating if I’ll mount to the printer bed, or frame.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Frame. You don't want that weight on the bed, especially as it moves around.

Was thinking bed because mine only does the Z axis, X/Y are on the gantry. After looking at it, I’d have a nice picture of the first few layers, then the unchanged view.

I printed some M5 t-nuts and tan a tap through them, and bought a variety box of stainless fasteners in M3/4/5. From there I have some leftover RAM bits in a box. Found the standard 1” ball plate does well in the T-track. Found a 1” camera mount ball on Thingiverse. Now I need a 1/4-20 x1.5” to finish it off. Might redesign the camera interface since it doesn’t cooperate well with the Logitech.