GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Many teams are now dealing with sorting out a porpoising problem.

Makes sense, since suspension setups have to be much softer than before, since the tires are no longer as effective as springs.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I'm curious how the different teams will approach a solution. I can only imagine some of the banned hydraulic trick suspensions of the past (Merc's FRIC or early 90's active suspension) could possibly be the solution to this problem.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Makes sense, since suspension setups have to be much softer than before, since the tires are no longer as effective as springs.

My knee jerk assumption was softer suspension necessitated by stiffer sidewalls, but it seems like porpoising is actually an issue stemming from the ground effect. Air flow stalls, car loses downforce, but then downforce immediately starts building back up only for air flow to stall once more -- rinse and repeat.

First team to solve 'porpoising' problems will have early advantage - Binotto · RaceFans

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
So with Haas dropping Uralkali sponsorship, can we lose Mazepan too?

They're dropping it only for the last day of Barcelona testing, as a "form of respect". I've not read any reports saying they're dropping it permanently. They can't make daddy mazespin mad.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
They're dropping it only for the last day of Barcelona testing, as a "form of respect". I've not read any reports saying they're dropping it permanently. They can't make daddy mazespin mad.
I know. It’s a shame. I had high hopes when Haas got involved, but he’s been pretty much the F1 equivalent of Jerry Jones, a rich guy with no actual desire to win anymore.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
My knee jerk assumption was softer suspension necessitated by stiffer sidewalls, but it seems like porpoising is actually an issue stemming from the ground effect. Air flow stalls, car loses downforce, but then downforce immediately starts building back up only for air flow to stall once more -- rinse and repeat.

First team to solve 'porpoising' problems will have early advantage - Binotto · RaceFans
They know the closer they keep the car to the track, the easier they can extract the performance from the car. The problem that creates is even the suspension compressing or the aero load on certain parts at speed, will push those leading edges too close to the track and potentially stall. This is why regulation changes are awesome, you can only simulate so much on the computer and now we get to see them engineer a solution. Probably a combo of suspension and aero tweaks.

So with Haas dropping Uralkali sponsorship, can we lose Mazepan too?
I'm not sure the cashflow from Uralkali will continue if things continue to go the way they are. I'd say it's more realistic that they find a new title sponsor or sell the team to Andretti... but does Andretti even want to deal with the Haas model of outsourcing from Ferrari and Dallara.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Alfa Romeo finally showed us their livery.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Alfa Romeo finally showed us their livery.

To be honest, I am... whelmed. It reminds me of a commemorative soda can. I like their 2021 livery better.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Lol, I agree, but I'll give them kudos for doing something different with the 'hubcaps'. I wish we didn't have them at all and were able to see the BBS.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, the Fezza looks great. Would be awesome to see them actually be competitive again, it's been too long.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I genuinely think we'll see them at the sharp end of the grid, how consistently..... who knows. It is Ferrari and they tend to trip over themselves in one way or another. They made decent progress last year, when you look back at 2020. As per usual, we won't really know shit about shit until Q1 in Bahrain.

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI
Lots of Red Bull cans for Verstappen