GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

TheeBran

Passed Driver's Ed
Did the flash not work for your car?
Not quite sure at this point. It completely fixed the issue with the improper gear being indicated, but my car stalled once yesterday. This was the first time since the update, I have about 300 miles on the car since the update.

TheeBran

Passed Driver's Ed
Over 500 miles and no stalls with the update still.

Also didn’t have stalls before the update as well. So luckily I don’t have rattles or stalls...
Rattles were in reference to a WRX. But if you did not have stalls before the update you probably won't have them at all. The stalls really seem to be due to do manufacturing tolerances or something. It would explain why some engines have it and others don't.

Schocker65

Got my recall notice in the mail today...I've never had a stall. Worried about what may happen when they eventually update it. I like how my car runs and drives, and it gets great fuel economy. Worried that an update can only make things worse for me. Going to need warranty service soon for a wonky head unit on my SE and I doubt I'll have a choice on the implementation of the recall.

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
Received the notice in today's mail for "Service Action 24FD". I guess I'll have it done when I have the dealer do the initial oil change around 5 or 6K miles...I'll be at the build date's 1 year anniversary sometime in Feb anyway. Although I've not experienced the stalls, and the car runs smoothly, it's good to see this issue being addressed. Hopefully everyone gets to have a safe and pleasant driving experience now. Kudos to @dietcokefiend !

cb1111

Received the notice in today's mail for "Service Action 24FD". I guess I'll have it done when I have the dealer do the initial oil change around 5 or 6K miles...I'll be at the build date's 1 year anniversary sometime in Feb anyway. Although I've not experienced the stalls, and the car runs smoothly, it's good to see this issue being addressed. Hopefully everyone gets to have a safe and pleasant driving experience now. Kudos to @dietcokefiend !
Can someone share a copy of the letter?

strgzr3745

@cb1111 Here's what I received today...
Service Action.jpg

mediumbluemetallic

All has been good since the update for me as well, gear indicator is always showing correctly. However, VW's customer service has really shown its true colors for me since the update. First off, my first payment was rejected 2 times by VW Credit and I got smacked with 2 return payment fees and now a late fee.(They only allow one waiving of the return fee as a "courtesy") Just waiting for my credit to take a dive now(I only have 3 years of credit experience). Called up support and my account and routing numbers were right on. I had to go to my bank to have them manually give the money over to VW, its been such a hassle and I am actually livid. I'm being penalized for VWs bad technology and a car that I have only had in my possession for half the time I have been paying for it. The people at VW credit seem to hate their jobs as well, only one of the reps I talked to out of 4 was actually respectful and not short/abrasive. On top of all this, I have now been ghosted by my VW Case Manager, the person who is supposed to be my bridge to VWoA. This man has ducked all my calls, and I have now left 5 messages with no attempt to return any calls. I am very upset with VW as of now, and as much as I absolutely love the GTI and driving it, I don't think I will ever purchase another Volkswagen, just out of principle. They have been nothing but deceptive so far, and now that they think the problem has been dealt with, they are just completely absent. I'm thinking my next purchase will be either from BMW or Subaru.

I don't want to discredit your story, but I do want to give you some hope for VW Credit. It's not all bad. I purchased a new 2014 GLI with VW Credit and had no issues. When I paid the car off, they immediately mailed me the title. And I lost the title when I moved. Fast forward to this August when I traded that '14 GLI on my '19 GLI. It was the last day of August and the incentives were disappearing. I had literally not even one day left to make the trade work, and I had no title for my '14. I called VW Credit from the DMV parking lot with zero account information, and they were able to fax the 2014 title info to my DMV on the spot despite the fact that my new 2019 loan wasn't going through VW Credit. VW Credit went above and beyond. Hands-down absolutely did a win for me. It really sucks that you had those issues with a rejected payment, but I promise you that a technical glitch like that could happen to any company, and any company would have handled it the same. Once my mortgage company had a glitch like you described when I attempted to make a payment. I was on the phone with them forever solving it. I asked what would have happened if the glitch wasn't solved before the due date, and I was told I would have been charged a penalty. My mortgage company explained that it's my responsibility as a consumer to make my payment far enough in advance to correct any errors or problems that I might encounter. If there's a glitch on the due date, they said the fault was my own. Their suggestion was to make payment far enough before the due date that any problems could be corrected before a penalty would be applied. Since then, I try to pay most things a month in advance. Again, not super fair. Not helpful to you. But VW Credit can be really super helpful. In your case they weren't, but I don't think they acted differently than any other lender.

In other news... I'm excited to have received the Service Action letter that you guys are talking about (ironically in the same stack of mail as the Car & Driver with the GTI/GLI 10 Best award. lol.). I'm a little bothered that not everyone has seen improvement, but it seems that so far it's been mostly effective. I've been stall-free for months now, ever since I tripped 1,000 miles and had the dealership tinker with my software. I've had more miles and many, many more days stall-free than I ever had with stalls. I'm hesitant to jump on the update bandwagon. I haven't read that anyone's stall-free car starting stalling because of the update, but I am so happy with the car that I don't want to risk it just yet. You guys keep posting updates ? I'll keep watch for a few more weeks, but eventually I'll get one, too.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Got my letter too. Still hesitant to get the update - since the car has been driving just fine for over 5K miles.

05B74773-2A21-4236-81F8-9765BE429CCA.jpeg
Curious what “other matters to enhance customer satisfaction” means under “What will we do?”

cb1111

@cb1111 Here's what I received today...
View attachment 161541
Thank you so much. This clarifies that it is not an actual (legal) recall but a service action. Manufacturers tend to do this following customer complaints to head off a NHTSA investigation and an ultimate recall.

Remember that right now, NHTSA is in the pre-investigative stage to determine if an investigation is warranted. Accordingly, it is vital that people that continue to have issues following the service action report the issues to NHTSA.