GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 FORMULA 1 SEASON

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
France was better than I expected. Although the lap 1 carnage was pretty nuts.

Did they say why Alonso's car had positive camber at the end?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I didn't catch if they said anything about ALO's car.
But as for the 1st lap incident with VET and BOT i think it was just that, an incident.
Yes, I am admittedly a fan of Seb, but I would be saying the same thing if the tables were turned.

He had a great start, got boxed in, had a lock-up.
He took the blame for it and that was that.
But I'm honestly surprised at the penalty handed down since things like this have happened before with no such penalty.
The FIA is so inconsistent...

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Turn 1 shows that even the great ones are human & make mistakes. Yes Seb got a 5 second penalty, but in the end it made no difference to his race finish. Seb drove the best & had quite a race. Passing so many cars had to be big fun.

I'm a Hamilton fan & glad he won, but I sure wish he'd had someone to race with. On to Austria.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
France was better than I expected. Although the lap 1 carnage was pretty nuts.

Did they say why Alonso's car had positive camber at the end?

He was pitted with 3/4 laps to go, Im assuming to nab Fastest Lap. Next thing you know, he has damage. Maybe it was Ericsson LOL.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I didn't catch if they said anything about ALO's car.
But as for the 1st lap incident with VET and BOT i think it was just that, an incident.
Yes, I am admittedly a fan of Seb, but I would be saying the same thing if the tables were turned.

He had a great start, got boxed in, had a lock-up.
He took the blame for it and that was that.
But I'm honestly surprised at the penalty handed down since things like this have happened before with no such penalty.
The FIA is so inconsistent...

Agreed! He personally shouldn't have received a penalty, especially when it was the same as what Grosjean got for a fraction of the incident.

Grosjean is the new Pastor.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I'm a Hamilton fan & glad he won, but I sure wish he'd had someone to race with. On to Austria.

I'm a Lewis fan too, but it's pretty boring when the Super Softs last more than half a race the race leader is just cruising along that the one with floor damage got fastest lap :/

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
He was pitted with 3/4 laps to go, Im assuming to nab Fastest Lap. Next thing you know, he has damage. Maybe it was Ericsson LOL.

It was definitely a fastest lap attempt, but the double yellow flags and his suspension mod foiled it. I wasn't sure if the issue was excessive curb use or contact with another car.

As for Seb's penalty, I would need to see the telemetry data to determine if it was unwarranted or not. If he stayed in it too long in a situation where he never actually had track position on Bottas, the lock up was potentially more of a likelihood then chance mistake.

The good news is that we don't have to wait long to see if the Ferrari does have the pace against the upgraded Mercedes power unit.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome!
Good for Max, he needs races like this. Also was super pumped for those at HAAS.
And of course I was glad to see VET make his way back up to the podium.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome!
Good for Max, he needs races like this. Also was super pumped for those at HAAS.
And of course I was glad to see VET make his way back up to the podium.

It seems that Ferrari has the recipe for tire management this year and it paid off with Austria. I would have preferred to see Vettel battle it out for a podium rather than having all his real opposition go out with mechanical failures.

I agree that it was nice to see HAAS bring one home though. They have let opportunity slip away one race after another this season.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
So that didn't go well for Mercedes at all, Bottas can't catch a break. Kimi had a good race though.

Yeah, it was too bad. Let’s hope Lewis brings his party more to Silverstone.

Great race for Max and so glad Ferrari didn’t switch Kimi and Seb. Can’t wait for Leclerc to get a proper drive soon!

Did Pirelli change compounds again? They were marbling more than normal.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Pirelli were just as surprised as anyone else with the blistering.

Sunday had a much hotter track temp, which is ultimately what led to the issues.

The softs were the worst for it, because they don't wear as quickly, which gives the tire more time to blister.

Not sure if they changed the compounds. I think it was just the heat, mixed with the longevity of the soft tire.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Fantastic British GP!!! Great recovery drive, Lewis! 25 laps on softs in that heat with the thinner compound!!!

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Fantastic British GP!!! Great recovery drive, Lewis! 25 laps on softs in that heat with the thinner compound!!!

And watching the podium drivers get out of their cars, into the cooldown room, and on the podium, Lewis and Kimi never once made eye contact.

That's how a postrace should be. :D

Great season going on here in 2018.