GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've owned golf variants my entire life. no hondas for me... thanks for the advice. just trying to learn how to really drive and work on VW's

I hate Hondas. I chose the VW because I like VW's, knowing it isn't going to win any national championships, so I get that. And when I say it's noncompetitive nationally, we're talking tenths of seconds off the pace. If you're new to autocross, it really doesn't matter, because your skill level is seconds off the pace. Have fun, learn to drive fast, and don't worry about what class you're in.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Meh, do both. They compliment one another.
It's called gaycross for a reason. Driving around some cones in a parking lot won't help shit on a road course cept maybe it teaches you pit lane speed and how to pull into a pit box.

Nothing like sitting in a parking lot for 8 hours to do 5 minutes of driving.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's called gaycross for a reason. Driving around some cones in a parking lot won't help shit on a road course cept maybe it teaches you pit lane speed and how to pull into a pit box.

Nothing like sitting in a parking lot for 8 hours to do 5 minutes of driving.

Truly the dumbest thing you've said so far.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Untitled.jpg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
damn... i'm left with more questions than answers.

one last question about suspension... can rear negative camber be adjusted without a dedicated camber arm? if so, what's that number look like?

victor. if at some point i have a few other questions could i shoot you a PM? i don't want to clutter up this thread with my ramblings
The rear camber is easily adjustable. I've run -1.8, but I'm also running -2.3/-2.5 up front. Mini7 has run -2 I think. If you're running the 034 camber mounts, then your best bet is to start around -1.8-2.0. Chalk your tires (mark sidewalls to tread with chalk), figure out if you have any rolling over, adjust pressure and determine if you want to adjust camber. You can always seek guidance on your setup from the fast drivers in your region :).

Yeah, PM me. I'm no longer actively autocrossing, but I do keep up with some of the trends from my friends. Track events have taken over my budget :).

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The rear camber is easily adjustable. I've run -1.8, but I'm also running -2.3/-2.5 up front. Mini7 has run -2 I think. If you're running the 034 camber mounts, then your best bet is to start around -1.8-2.0. Chalk your tires (mark sidewalls to tread with chalk), figure out if you have any rolling over, adjust pressure and determine if you want to adjust camber. You can always seek guidance on your setup from the fast drivers in your region :).

I don’t auto-X, but my tire wear appears to be better running -2 degrees in the rear on track. Small increase from -1.8.
-2.5 in the front with Vorshlag plates maxed out and SuperPro 018k front LCA’s. This is at stock ride.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Lots of arguments on other forums about window requirements. Trend is towards more groups allowing windows up. I’m inclined to think that if you are involved in an accident severe enough to prevent door opening, those windows are already broken. There’s also the argument that side curtain air bags are designed to operate with windows up. Here in the south we also like to make the case for running the AC as a safety enhancement....

I’m taking my R to Roebling tomorrow and it is supposed to rain all day. If they allow it, my windows will be up.

I’m with you on this one.

If you have stuffed it hard enough into the tires or worse a wall so that the door won’t open. The marshals busting out a window to get my ass out is the least of my worries. I’ve heard a lot of fuss over ACNA’s track safety rules and the use of turn signals. I like having the option to leave windows up or down. I can do point bys or use the turn signal alternative. Turn signals are easier and in some sections of the track, safer by keeping two hands on the wheel.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I’m with you on this one.

If you have stuffed it hard enough into the tires or worse a wall so that the door won’t open. The marshals busting out a window to get my ass out is the least of my worries. I’ve heard a lot of fuss over ACNA’s track safety rules and the use of turn signals. I like having the option to leave windows up or down. I can do point bys or use the turn signal alternative. Turn signals are easier and in some sections of the track, safer by keeping two hands on the wheel.
Also way easier to accidentally hit a turn signal vs actively shoving your arm out the window. Unless you're running the most advanced run group you should only be passing on straights anyways (every org I've run with).

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So Audi club skimps on safety. Windows down is a safety item for you and the workers as then won't need to bash your window in to save you and you won't have glass in your face/lap when something goes wrong.

Slicks = no wet sessions.
I think that it’s an unfair statement regarding Audi Clubs skimping on safety. Nothing could be further from the truth. They follow European DE rules. They are different from PCA/BMW. Road cars do not have window nets like racecars. A closed window provides a degree of safety when closed. I have seen a rock thrown up by a tractor trailer hit a driver on the highway where they nearly lost control. You are entitled to disagree. There are arguments for and against, but to say that ACNA is skimping on safety is not cool.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Also way easier to accidentally hit a turn signal vs actively shoving your arm out the window. Unless you're running the most advanced run group you should only be passing on straights anyways (every org I've run with).
It happens often enough in the first couple of sessions. Some forget which way to signal. I wave the pass off just like when you get a bad point by. Every now and then someone has an older car and forgets to turn the signal off. These become self evident. But after the first couple sessions, new folks get it figured out.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Scca rules: https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

Looks like they have the r in ds, stu, and asp classing. Ds is where the wrx plays I think. Ds you can't do much but you can do a front or rear sway and any tire you want on a stock width wheel. Stu is pretty much all suspension goodies, but no tune (unless they changed to match sth). Asp is all goodies, tune, slicks, etc.

You can see how certain mods can bump you into a class where you may not be competitive without throwing more parts and money at it.

Read through the rules, talk to your friend, decide how competitive and involved you want to be, and have fun :).

EDIT: forgot to respond to the spring question. I had MSS and had issues. A lot of other people have had similar issues and the springs don't really perform as expected. I really wouldn't bother with springs until you can do replacement struts too (if you get to that). If you're dead set on them, I'd maybe try the APR or ED. I ditched DCC + 034 for PSS10 and they're definitely a stiff monotube coil, but they ride well; chassis flex is now apparent.

No you don't need anything extra to set toe. I run 0 toe front and .06 total toe in rear for a very tail happy rear.
MSS have a new revision out now which is meant to address the previous issues. I’ll be going this route shortly. I want to retain DCC and I believe these offer the best solution.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I think that it’s an unfair statement regarding Audi Clubs skimping on safety. Nothing could be further from the truth. They follow European DE rules. They are different from PCA/BMW. Road cars do not have window nets like racecars. A closed window provides a degree of safety when closed. I have seen a rock thrown up by a tractor trailer hit a driver on the highway where they nearly lost control. You are entitled to disagree. There are arguments for and against, but to say that ACNA is skimping on safety is not cool.
Spot on. Our state and national regs here in Aus are the same. Window must be all the way up if you don’t have a net. If your car rolls you will lose your arm if it’s out the window.