GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The tcr cars (not tcr trim) were a great choice for NASA TT and ST because of their build, power to weight, and the wicked fast trans, but unfortunately because of that the DSG has now gotten hampered with penalties.

Thus is racing though... You have to drive what the cool rich kids are driving to be successful because rules are often written in ways to keep them happy and competitive.

Factory cars converted to be dual duty won't ever be. There are just too many compromises in the hot hatch form factor for suspension, weight, drive and too much temptation to "just tune it" for 100hp more.
I think that's partly the intent of the gridlife street class, to keep people running 20 year old racey econoboxes happy. Hence the very STI/Evo-biased ruleset. There's also a canadian series that a couple MQB cars have been super successful in (Mk7 R and a TTRS iirc), but again, very friendly/niche rules.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I just have a hard time getting into grid life. Their ruleset drives me mad because you're either a full race car with $20k in gear or you're very street class limited. There's no middle ground so the jump between the two is daunting and expensive. Of my two track vehicles, neither can fit into street. The racecar would still need another 35k to be competitive in fit all the rules. The distance between events is also very large with not so opportune dates. They need more regional growth.

I really want to like what they're doing, but I think there's some maturing and accessibility that needs to grow. I'm sure it will come with time.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I just have a hard time getting into grid life. Their ruleset drives me mad because you're either a full race car with $20k in gear or you're very street class limited. There's no middle ground so the jump between the two is daunting and expensive. Of my two track vehicles, neither can fit into street. The racecar would still need another 35k to be competitive in fit all the rules. The distance between events is also very large with not so opportune dates. They need more regional growth.

I really want to like what they're doing, but I think there's some maturing and accessibility that needs to grow. I'm sure it will come with time.
I think street class is quite open, maybe too much so. Parts like CSS knuckles, OE aluminum subframes, and IS38 turbos on GTIs are all allowed, and you can run solid/spherical joints throughout the car as well as 2-way remote coilovers. You can also run a high compression built motor in street (just not in street GT). MPI, aftermarket intake manifolds, standalone ECUs, also fine. Just the stuff that comes to mind that wouldn't be allowed in non-aero classes with SCCA.

Street mod on the other hand, definitely a shitshow. I haven't followed this year as closely but it takes an insane amount of money to be competitive with the 700+ whp aero cars. I've heard there will be significant changes in 2024 announced in the next month or two, though.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I think street class is quite open, maybe too much so. Parts like CSS knuckles, OE aluminum subframes, and IS38 turbos on GTIs are all allowed, and you can run solid/spherical joints throughout the car as well as 2-way remote coilovers. You can also run a high compression built motor in street (just not in street GT). MPI, aftermarket intake manifolds, standalone ECUs, also fine. Just the stuff that comes to mind that wouldn't be allowed in non-aero classes with SCCA.

Street mod on the other hand, definitely a shitshow. I haven't followed this year as closely but it takes an insane amount of money to be competitive with the 700+ whp aero cars. I've heard there will be significant changes in 2024 announced in the next month or two, though.
Looks like they did open the rules about cooling, because hood louvres were the issue for me running street in 2019 with them. They were also much more limited on safety gear then, which is more of what I was thinking about. Screenshot of the street rules attached for anyone who hasn't seen it...

However, a gti or r i don't think could be competitive in street still... What prevents you from just buying a supra and doing $30k in work to prep it and walk away from the golf? I wish they'd have a power to weight cap for the cars...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_160118_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_160118_Drive.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think these cars are really lousy as a "dedicated" track car. They're not competitive in any classes, they have several reliability issues to overcome, and regardless of what is done, will still be "slow" compared to a simple C5 with reliability upgrades. With very simple stuff they're running TCR lap times at half the cost.

The sweet spot IMO is being comfortable with Spec Miata laptimes. Doesn't require tons of money to achieve, and keeping the car reliable and liveable as a daily.

But then there's the "I only need X part to go a bit faster" factor that has crept up... 😅
Most tracks around me are big tracks. Slow cars are fun on small tracks, not so much on big tracks.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
However, a gti or r i don't think could be competitive in street still... What prevents you from just buying a supra and doing $30k in work to prep it and walk away from the golf? I wish they'd have a power to weight cap for the cars...
Nothing except the maing things that keeps people from doing it with a Mk7; cost and effort. I think a GTI can get to a fairly competitive weight. But like you said, there's no power to weight cap. Just a rough power cap from the ruleset.
The previous couple years were especially bad due to the S209 loophole, since they allowed OEM turbos and you can buy an STI S209 turbo from the dealer (for $5k), they allowed that and some other cheat-y stuff like the HKS FQ440 Evo X turbo on Evo 8/9s. They moved to the current system where as long as your turbo vendor says it only makes 41 lbs/min, it's legal. Of course, the guy with the S209 turbo had his shop start selling a turbo which is rated at exactly 41lbs/min... Unfortunately ea888.3's aren't going to compete with that power with our shitty heads, and the smallest bolt-on turbo on the market with a flow rating is 42 lb/min (GT2260s).
Like I said, they're extremely biased towards Evo/STI. I think that a 718 cayman or 2.0 supra would walk the class, but no one's spending that much money on the class yet.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Nothing except the maing things that keeps people from doing it with a Mk7; cost and effort. I think a GTI can get to a fairly competitive weight. But like you said, there's no power to weight cap. Just a rough power cap from the ruleset.
The previous couple years were especially bad due to the S209 loophole, since they allowed OEM turbos and you can buy an STI S209 turbo from the dealer (for $5k), they allowed that and some other cheat-y stuff like the HKS FQ440 Evo X turbo on Evo 8/9s. They moved to the current system where as long as your turbo vendor says it only makes 41 lbs/min, it's legal. Of course, the guy with the S209 turbo had his shop start selling a turbo which is rated at exactly 41lbs/min... Unfortunately ea888.3's aren't going to compete with that power with our shitty heads, and the smallest bolt-on turbo on the market with a flow rating is 42 lb/min (GT2260s).
Like I said, they're extremely biased towards Evo/STI. I think that a 718 cayman or 2.0 supra would walk the class, but no one's spending that much money on the class yet.
The 3.0 supra is under 80k, so that's technically legal, lol.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Unfortunately winter time won't likely be the best for testing, but I snagged a free spare fan/shroud assembly (it's not OE, so hoping the fan actually at least works) so gutted it. I'm monitoring coolant outlet and ECTs, so should be able to notice an improvement in some way, especially considering coolant outlet will hover near ambient just while cruising. Basically drilled some 3/8in holes in the corners of where I wanted to cut out, then connected the dots with a 3in die grinder and smoothed out the edges (mostly) with a file. I left the portions that have "ribbing" for structural reasons, though a bit more could probably be trimmed if really wanted.

The idea is to remove restriction to airflow, and allow the ENTIRE radiator to help cool, not stall the airflow in the spots near the corners. I did leave the one untouched for now, only because wiring runs near it, but it may get additional trimming upon test fitting. Of course this is NOT ideal for stop and go traffic, as the fan will likely be pulling some air not through the radiator, but from the engine bay via the large openings.

This is based on some testing from RaceLouvers: https://racelouvers.com/content/Race-Louvers-Fan-Shroud-Wind-Tunnel-Data.pdf though admittedly they're comparing two different cars, so while it's not a great scientific test, the reasoning is sound.

EDIT: Well that ended abruptly. The free shroud/fan I got doesn't fit anywhere close to correct. It's aftermarket garbage, and knew this might potentially be a concern, but the shroud has spots that interfere up top that would wreck the top few fins if attempted to fully seat it. Still might modify further at some point, but this has taken a back seat now.

Attachments

• 1699017202879.png
    1699017202879.png
    24.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 1699017873748.png
    1699017873748.png
    20.4 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Happy Thanksgiving!
I want to wish my MQB and Track friends a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving. I have a lot to be thankful for and wish you all the very best during the festive holiday season. Stay safe and keep it shiny side up!

Rossmonster

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
PowerGrid Endlinks

One of my concerns about gaining more negative camber was inner fender clearance.

I sourced a set of PowerGrid front end-links. These have a much slimmer profile than my SuperPro end-links, which were nibbling the sealer out of the inner fender welded joint.

Another mod was to slim down the profile of the mounting bracket on my Ohlins. It sucks to do this on such nice coilovers but rather that, then shearing the bracket off.

Here are some photos.
View attachment 188799View attachment 188800View attachment 188801View attachment 188802View attachment 188803
Do you happen to know the part number for these or where to buy them? Needing to replace mine and looking for something with a smaller profile.