GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
It’s too bad PFC won’t make pads for our cars. I tried G-Loc R12, and boiled my fluid in the R, which I was sort of expecting. Then I ran them in my M3, and boiled the fluid in it. Never happened before, and I’ve been tracking that car for 20 years. Back to PFC08 for me.

I am a big fan of PFC pads. I run the old PFC81 compound on my CooperS and they are super kind to the rotors. I’ve left the Pagids in for daily driving on the GTi and they have been good on the rotors for cold Daily driving.

PowerBrake has their pads made for them in Japan. So either project mu or Endless.....?

I like their street pad and they have been spot on with their track pad recommendation.

TXBDan1

Passed Driver's Ed
Mini7 said:
Before the BBK I ran Pagid RS29’s. I’m sure XDL is/was interfering. I also coded my TC button to switch traction control off with the long hold. My caliper temp strips on the PP brakes showed that the brake system was getting hot and comprising the fluid.

Yeh i tracked a mk6 GTI for a little bit. It did not have a LSD and relied on XDL. I smoked a set of Hawk DTC60 so bad people though my engine was on fire. Insane. I wound up putting a Stoptech ST40 kit on it just so i could use the XDL functionality. Strange situation. If i installed a mechanical LSD and disabled XDL, i bet i would have been fine on stock brakes. They're not undersized for the car's power/weight, they simply had no time to cool between braking and all the XDL/vectoring stuff going on.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I would agree. A BBK buys you some extra heat capacity before things go south. Damn bean counter interfering with engineering decisions.

The pedal feel is way better but one would expect that with a billet caliper.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I run the pagid 29 pads with stoptech st40 front kid with floating rotors, and actually have just left them in for street driving for the past 2 months as been super busy, and they're not bad at all. surprisingly good. great cold bight and not as noisy as I would have expected. big shout out for how awesome these pads are. at least in my stage 1 power level on michelin pilot 4s tires these brakes are invincible too with rs3 heat ducts and no dust shield. zero fade. love how easy to swap pads with stoptech kits too, just pull them out the back in 1 minute although some pads do need to be filed down a little to fit as the tabs can be a little oversized once they get painted by the manufacturer etc

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I wouldn’t have an issue running RSL29’s in my BBK. Great on the street. I totally agree.

I’m interested in trying the RSL1 for performance.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Hey a 255-40-17 Nitto NT01 will fit without rubbing on track at stock ride height.

https://youtu.be/XYtTYHObs1M

https://youtu.be/_8M8y-CeeGc

I did not improve my lap time. However I did drop my virtual best by1.5 seconds. From a 2:16.05 to a 2:14.45
Frustrating but those are the facts. Long story short. I did not get my tire pressures dialed in and as a result did not get the best form my tires. I just did not have the confidence in the car/tire. I hauled the mail up the uphill esses but was not feeling it aroundthe rest of the track

I ran a full hour on track. Brakes held up and I managed to focus for the whole 1-hr session in damp to drying conditions.

Car got to see 270F oil temps in 80F ambients on stock hp. Tuned and IS 38 cars definitely need an oil cooler on track. Especially in warmer climates.

Had fun!

Last edited:

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
Nice laps Mini. You ran all over the GT4 in the esses. Not sure I would have much confidence in those virtual lap times compared to actual. Looks like HLT data is ahead of the video for some reason. Time for a real data logger...

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Nice laps Mini. You ran all over the GT4 in the esses. Not sure I would have much confidence in those virtual lap times compared to actual. Looks like HLT data is ahead of the video for some reason. Time for a real data logger...

HLT has been helpful in finding speed around the track but I agree that an AIM data logger is in my future. I want to see my actual line trace around the track. Actual brake points. TPS % etc

I’d say that HLT is directionally correct. All my HLT data overlays are ahead of the video by a second or two. It’s frustrating and misleading. But whenever I start messing with it I seem to screw up the whole video so I just leave it as is. It’s easy to tell because I just listen for my brake application on the back straight and the data overlay is off by 2 brake markers.

Got to admit that Harry’s has been really helpful and it’s hard to beat the price. It’s easy for me to tell where I’m losing time based on the splits.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
Got to admit that Harry’s has been really helpful and it’s hard to beat the price. It’s easy for me to tell where I’m losing time based on the splits.

I use Aim Solo with an ancient GoPro2 now, but I’ve played with TrackAddict and was pretty impressed. Might be worth a look.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Is it really a 225/40/17? Not a typo? Just curious since that's shorter by a lot than stock.

You're right, tuned NEEDS an oil cooler. Too bad current options are horrible...

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My bad. It’s a typo.

I have 255’s - 40-17

I’ve pretty much always run in spring and late fall, so ambients are generally 40-60F. My last event was 65-80F. So to see 270F with 220hp sucks.

Last edited:

TXBDan1

Passed Driver's Ed
Collecting data at the track is most useful when you can compare it others at the track, preferably in similar cars. If a lot of other's use a type of system, you should prob use it, too. Everyone in my club uses Aim products so i got a Solo 2 DL and its been great. I compare with other guys in my class (same car, same class) and i learn a TON.

Also, good analysis software is important. I started off with a RaceCapture system and while its fun to tinker with, it has crappy analysis software and no one else was in the ecosystem to compare data with. Aim has solid software.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
AIM is the most common platform out there. Unfortunately there are not many Golfs running with me at VIR.

I’m always down to compare notes with my track buddies.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
My bad. It’s a typo.

I have 255’s - 40-17

I’ve pretty much always run in spring and late fall, so ambients are generally 40-60F. My last event was 65-80F. So to see 270F with 220hp sucks.

With stage 2 when I ran during a 50F ambient day, I was hitting 270 after 15 mins. That was WITH an intercooler. Without the intercooler I hit 285 in similar conditions. The direzza Z3 were overheated by the 15 min mark anyway. Honestly you're pushing hard and on grippy tires, so you're probably spending more time on power. I'd expect temps to go up as you get faster still.

Which wheel are you running now? 255/40 makes so much more sense! Haha