GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
You raise a very good point.

I figure 3400lbs with me in the car. FWD only with 61/39 front to rear weight split. Steering/driving/braking
The fronts are asked to do too much on a FWD platform. IMHO

The GT4 is better balanced and a lot lighter. I can see that a 265 may be too much tire for the GT4. Well I just checked the curb weight. 3200lbs for a 718 GT4. That’s heavier than I expected.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
You may be good with the weight and driving loads on the front. With me in the car, I only have 1400 pounds on the front end out of 3280 total. 981 is a bit lighter than 718. They are worth a try. Pick up a Goodyear credit card and they double any applicable rebates, too!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Interesting! Didn’t know this was open to the public. Not sure my 2017 GTi will fall under the $34,999 cost limit to be competitive.

Also haven’t driven the Grand course before so that will be an interesting challenge not knowing half the track.

Ok. So what tires do I run? 80 TW is the limit. That means the Toyo RR’s are out. I do not like the R888R’s.
This will be an interesting exercise.

Do you have access to a sim rig. Great way to learn a course you've never been to.

Every time I've been able to turn a hundred Sim laps prior to a new track, I've been able to feel comfortable from lap one and get up to speed quickly.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Agreed with sim work 100%.

With your spring rates you'll get any street tire warm. With the Goodyear or sport cup 2 you'll likely need a lot less dampening and it will be a much softer setup than you expect. Those tires were built for some roll. Despite their hot lap reputation though, they're still a street tire in design, so do expect them to fall off somewhere with sessions or heat.

I don't think you'll overheat the yoko in two laps. With faster tracks they'll stay a bit cooler until the corners when you get into the braking (which is where most of the heat is generated anyway). You'll make two laps getting them primed and then set a crazy fast lap before they fall off and you're backing off with the front greasing. Running a 30mm stagger should help balance out laps 3 to 5 before it gets too hot to deal with. You've got about 6 sessions of this activity before their peak grip is done for. You can save them a bit by backing off more. By 10 sessions peak grip has fallen off and by 12 they're worn and heat cycled out at race pace.

Generally speaking the fastest sessions of any TT weekend tend to happen in the third lap of the second session of the second day.

I wouldn't throw out the hoosinental or the v730 just yet though... 200tw means nothing and they are supposedly very fast and consistent from the experiences and reports I've seen so far. They might be the consistency you want/need to get through the weekend with confidence to really push the whole time.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
GMP Performance has a great Sim rig here in Charlotte. So that will be a good place to practice the grand course.
The inner part of the Grand which I don’t know appears tight and technical. I know roller coaster all the way down the back straight and can go full send there. It’s the tight twisty infield that I need to get figured out quickly to be competitive.

So the Continental extreme contact force was supposedly modeled on the Hankook RS4 and meant for endurance With longevity in mind. So are these tires faster than advertised?
I’m leaning towards these and the GY3R’s. Maybe more towards the 3R’s as they have the meatier front 265. Going staggered is likely the better setup to get the narrower rears switched on around the same time as the fronts. Plus help the rear rotate while providing the overworked fronts some more grip.

I'm tempted for shits and giggles. Still a lot of cash to drop on a set of tires that will only last a weekend. I need to get some sponsorship. Lol
Looked up the lap times for FWD cars and none of these would qualify for the under $35k street class. These are on stock street tires and pads I’m assuming, which would be limiting factors.
  1. 2021 Mini JCW GP 3:03.8
  2. 2018 Civic Type R 3:03.9
  3. 2016 Focus RS 3:03.9
  4. Veloster N 3:07.7
  5. 2015 Golf R 3:12.3
  6. M2 Competition 2:59.7 (for reference)
On another note I have registered for Barber Motorsport Park 4/2-3

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The conti extreme force have been raved about as having re71r like grip and precision but with heat tolerance. There has been a lot of speculation around what they did with casing and rubber, with some theories I've heard claiming they're a non-slick version of the R7 rubber with a casing appropriately designed for a treaded street tire. I have no idea what they did, but they've been labeling it as a track oriented 200tw and only the v730 has also used that moniker instead of "grip right away".

They do take a lap to warm up before they get peak grippy, but here's some tirerack data to see. Keep in mind tirerack only does autox type testing with 30s runs, so tires that need warm up don't always look as good on their charts. Since it's fast here, we can only assume it will get faster before peaking as and "endurance street tire". It's faster than the yoko and the 660 could edge it out, but the 660 greases reallllly fast according to tirerack.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121-073141.png
    Screenshot_20220121-073141.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20220121-073124.png
    Screenshot_20220121-073124.png
    148 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20220121-073102.png
    Screenshot_20220121-073102.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 51

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The Conti is going to be an interesting option when they make it in 255-35-18. I haven’t looked at the V730 which have a great price point.
What is the turn in steering feel for the V730 vs. RT660?
The RT660’s look like a good option other than getting greasy on longer runs. These also run wider than marked tire size.

Has anyone found a solution to the clearance on the GTi right rear?
What is the section width limit?
10.2” will not rub but it is tight at -2.8 degrees rear camber. I’m going to go back to -2 degrees which will gain me some more wiggle room.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ran 265 fk510 that are 10.8/9.6 with no issues, but I run 1.4 camber

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Hope you don't mind me asking here, people on this thread are knowledgable and don't seem to mind sharing.
Does anybody know how thick the stock brake pad friction material is? I tried to google it and found 12-14mm for the fronts but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Mine were measured today at 10mm Fr/8mm Rr.
TIA

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hope you don't mind me asking here, people on this thread are knowledgable and don't seem to mind sharing.
Does anybody know how thick the stock brake pad friction material is? I tried to google it and found 12-14mm for the fronts but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Mine were measured today at 10mm Fr/8mm Rr.
TIA
Sounds about right. It will vary by brand and the rears are normally thinner because they don't wear as fast.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, I'm not so concerned about the actual thickness, just what it is relative to new. Not sure when my next track day is but I want to make sure I have enough pad left, if not I'll swap to some new pads I have.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
Thanks, I'm not so concerned about the actual thickness, just what it is relative to new. Not sure when my next track day is but I want to make sure I have enough pad left, if not I'll swap to some new pads I have.
The exact amount will vary slightly from brand to brand, but the full width (including backing plate) for PP GTI is ~19mm front, ~17mm rear

GTI PP - US/ROW - FRONT: https://www.ferodoracing.com/ecat/code-compound/car-racing/brake-pads/FCP4425H
GTI PP - US ONLY(manual handbrake) - REAR: https://www.ferodoracing.com/ecat/code/car-racing/brake-pads/FCP1636

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Thanks very much. so it looks like I am about half worn, or more. Fine for street use but will change the fronts before my next track day.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Interesting. I’ve not driven the grand course. I’ve tried attacking the uphill esses at VIR and ended with the same results as Car and Driver. Running out of front end grip at the top and understeering through T9 to the point you are off-line for T10 and have to compromise corner speed.
I now back off a little going up the esses. Arrive a T9 in control. Gas it to the T10 turn in and carry 10mph more speed through T10. Truth be told, with my mods I should be carrying the throttle more up through the esses.

I think that C&D could have gone faster with some practice.