GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I looked at some carbon hoods. There is one out of Japan that has functional vents but is $2k.
This took me a day and a half to install and I consider myself a novice sheet-metal worker/fabricator. Took my time.

Will post the results. Held off on the oil cooler install to see the results of the hood vents (Still doing an oil cooler) Planning on placing a temp strip on my ABS pump to gauge under hood temps. Should have done so before the install to get a before and after.

You can just tape off the vents to get a before and after.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
True

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I looked at some carbon hoods. There is one out of Japan that has functional vents but is $2k.
This took me a day and a half to install and I consider myself a novice sheet-metal worker/fabricator. Took my time.

Will post the results. Held off on the oil cooler install to see the results of the hood vents (Still doing an oil cooler) Planning on placing a temp strip on my ABS pump to gauge under hood temps. Should have done so before the install to get a before and after.

If you still have the insulation pad, you could put that on to get a "before" reading. Also, if you haven't been running the insulation pad, did you ever notice a temp diff after taking it off? Can't imagine it makes a huge difference, but I keep thinking about just taking mine off.

I've looked hard at doing these, but being stuck in the city makes it tough to do things like cut my hood up. I was going to do the carbon hood (I think I could manage that install in the parking garage) but opted to spend the money on the aux radiator instead.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
If you still have the insulation pad, you could put that on to get a "before" reading. Also, if you haven't been running the insulation pad, did you ever notice a temp diff after taking it off? Can't imagine it makes a huge difference, but I keep thinking about just taking mine off.

I've looked hard at doing these, but being stuck in the city makes it tough to do things like cut my hood up. I was going to do the carbon hood (I think I could manage that install in the parking garage) but opted to spend the money on the aux radiator instead.
This is the first time removing the insulation pad.

I think you are better off adding the Aux Radiator. It is building cooling headroom to handle the heat soak from track duty. You may or may not need the RBumper conversion. Test and find out whether it’s necessary.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Has anyone pulled their snow guard out of the stock air box? There is more turbo whistle and blow off valve noise coming through the induction system. Didn’t expect the snow guard removal to make any difference.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Has anyone pulled their snow guard out of the stock air box? There is more turbo whistle and blow off valve noise coming through the induction system. Didn’t expect the snow guard removal to make any difference.

I removed mine and went with aFe filter. I don't notice a difference.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I pulled mine and I thought I noticed a small difference, but I also installed an open front air intake/scoop thing so I attributed it to that.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Didn’t notice any induction noise until I pulled the snow guard out. Was curious whether anyone had done the same. The Blow off valve is noticeably nosier off throttle.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Didn’t notice any induction noise until I pulled the snow guard out. Was curious whether anyone had done the same. The Blow off valve is noticeably nosier off throttle.

You also have hood vents. Maybe that makes a difference?

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
So Yokohama A050 are amazing. Not sure how I can go back to regular tyres now. It's like when you first fly business class. Air travel ruined forever. Square setup worked pretty well. A little too much rear grip though. Need more time with setup. I want more oversteer on corner exit without introducing more on corner entry.

Forgive the video spam. Some might find the comparison interesting.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So Yokohama A050 are amazing. Not sure how I can go back to regular tyres now. It's like when you first fly business class. Air travel ruined forever. Square setup worked pretty well. A little too much rear grip though. Need more time with setup. I want more oversteer on corner exit without introducing more on corner entry.

Forgive the video spam. Some might find the comparison interesting.

You pay for that first class grip too.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah these are AUD$600+ a corner. Luckily I got a 2nd hand set for $250 each which is a bargain.

That's crazy. I'm not sure the exchange rate, but they seem less expensive here.

Do you guys get the Falken RT660? They have better feel, just as fast, better heat resistance, wear better, and $40 a tire cheaper. It's the go to tire in the US at this point.

Screenshot_20210713-204713_Chrome.jpg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Similar tread pattern to the A048’s I ran on my Cooper S.

They are more expensive than Hoosiers here in the US. Great that they provide grip down to the cords unlike the Hoosiers which heat cycle out.