GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 Audi A3??

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
wow, sounds very promising on the sportback, and hot damn if they actually do the S3... I bet we have a much better chance of the S3 version than seeing an RS3 variant.

Completely agree. I give the s3 a very strong chance if the sportback does make it here.

I also think this is a good chance for them to test the water since we likely wont get the mk7 r any time soon. Then they wont have competition from themselves.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk witg erroes

hrearden

I can tell you with some authority that the S3 sedan has already been approved
for North America and is currently slated to launch very nearly the same time as the A3 sedan.

Sportback is still under active consideration and is looking more likely by the day. The question for everything is timing:

1. When will the A3 sedan be introduced and when will it be on sale? Right now speculation is leaning toward an introduction in Detroit in January, not Los Angeles at the end of this month. If Detroit, expect cars on the ground between May-August 2013.

2. Will the Sportback be a simultaneous release or come later? There's an off-chance that the sedan is delayed and if so there are contingency plans to introduce the Sportback first.

Completely agree. I give the s3 a very strong chance if the sportback does make it here.

I also think this is a good chance for them to test the water since we likely wont get the mk7 r any time soon. Then they wont have competition from themselves.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I can tell you with some authority that the S3 sedan has already been approved for North America and is currently slated to launch very nearly the same time as the A3 sedan.

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
I can tell you with some authority that the S3 sedan has already been approved
for North America and is currently slated to launch very nearly the same time as the A3 sedan.

Sportback is still under active consideration and is looking more likely by the day. The question for everything is timing:

1. When will the A3 sedan be introduced and when will it be on sale? Right now speculation is leaning toward an introduction in Detroit in January, not Los Angeles at the end of this month. If Detroit, expect cars on the ground between May-August 2013.

2. Will the Sportback be a simultaneous release or come later? There's an off-chance that the sedan is delayed and if so there are contingency plans to introduce the Sportback first.

Do you know if audi has developed a manual trans for the platform? Will it be available in US if so? This makes or breaks the deal for me.

Last edited:

hrearden

The A3 3-door and Sportback both have a manual transmission option. No word yet on what the US specs will be.

Do you know if audi has developed a manual trans for the platform? Will it be available in US if so? This makes or breaks the deal for me.

hrearden

So after reading this I see that the S3 is rated for 296hp. What motor is in that car? Please someone tell me that it is indeed a detuned TTRS engine :)

It's the new 2.0TFSI engine with integrated manifold designed specifically for the MQB platform. Similar in design to the 2.0T in the new GTI MK VII concept shown in September.

The good news is that a RS3 is planned and word is that Audi won't be waiting until the end of the product cycle to introduce it. When and if the US gets it is a completely different story.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Nope sorry. New audi developed 2.0t

yep^, someone on the tex was just telling me the same thing when comparing dyno numbers on the k04 US 2.0T vs the actual S3 2.0T

The A3 3-door and Sportback both have a manual transmission option. No word yet on what the US specs will be.

:clap:

UKGTI1

Ready to race!
From what I have seen on the winterweb, the hatch is very unlikely, but the A3 sedan is a definite. I'm OK with that since I think the US hatch will only come in 5-door version IF it even did make it over here. Booo. That is not for me.

The S3 sedan, however, looks like a shoe-in for the US market and will use the 2.0 TFSI, whereas the RS3 will probably use the 2.5 TTRS engine. The RS3 appears to be a major doubt for our shores, though, and so I will most likely jump all over the S3 since the timing will be right.

The big question for me is: how much will the S3 be? Low 40's? The S4 starts in the high 40's, so that would seem about right....right?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, they wont do a 2dr hatchback, so it would be the full 4dr/5dr or whatever.

S3 - I would guess low to mid 40's, but who knows and with the way they option shit... could easily be close to 50k for a loaded one.

Agreed, highly doubt we get the RS3. There's not really a market for what would probably have to cost $60K, and be a hatchback.

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, they wont do a 2dr hatchback, so it would be the full 4dr/5dr or whatever.

S3 - I would guess low to mid 40's, but who knows and with the way they option shit... could easily be close to 50k for a loaded one.

Agreed, highly doubt we get the RS3. There's not really a market for what would probably have to cost $60K, and be a hatchback.

Agree on all points. As far as pricing - my money is on 41-43k well equipped. Base s4 starts at 49 with destination. It also keeps it from competing with the R from a financial standpoint, but who knows we could see a base s3 for under 40.

DarkCloak

Banned
So after reading this I see that the S3 is rated for 296hp. What motor is in that car? Please someone tell me that it is indeed a detuned TTRS engine :)

No, it is an updated variant of the EA888 TSI with what is presumed to be a larger turbo (K04 or equivalent) and many other small upgrades.

UKGTI1

Ready to race!
...but who knows and with the way they option shit... could easily be close to 50k for a loaded one.

That's what worries me. A base price means nothing when it comes to Audi. A price closer to 50k, even loaded, would seem to overlap too much with the S4. Who knows though.