GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 TDI oil pump belt

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all

Got a 2014 2.0 TDI mk7 130,000 miles nearly due its 2nd cambelt change in next couple of months.

Just debating if its worth changing the oil pump belt while cambelt off, problem is its Crank pulley and cover off plus sump off to get to the oil belt didn't know if anyone has done it or had it recommended to them by anybody or even if older engine run these belts most places just say its a "belt for life" can't seem to find any more info than that.
With it being 10 years old now and I know its never been dome it's making me wonder if its about to shred that belt.

I know a lot of petrol stuff run chains.

Cheers. And happy new year to everybody.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Hi all

Got a 2014 2.0 TDI mk7 130,000 miles nearly due its 2nd cambelt change in next couple of months.

Just debating if its worth changing the oil pump belt while cambelt off, problem is its Crank pulley and cover off plus sump off to get to the oil belt didn't know if anyone has done it or had it recommended to them by anybody or even if older engine run these belts most places just say its a "belt for life" can't seem to find any more info than that.
With it being 10 years old now and I know its never been dome it's making me wonder if its about to shred that belt.

I know a lot of petrol stuff run chains.

Cheers. And happy new year to everybody.

When I did my timing belt & water pump on my 2015 TDI at 120k miles I thought about the oil pump belt, but all the stuff you mentioned (sump, crank pulley & cover) made me really want to believe VW's "lifetime" rating on that belt :)
So I didn't bother, and 35k miles later it's still working.
Also why do you want to do the SECOND timing belt replacement at 130k?? That's the service interval, so if it was already replaced then you're good for another 130k.

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
When I did my timing belt & water pump on my 2015 TDI at 120k miles I thought about the oil pump belt, but all the stuff you mentioned (sump, crank pulley & cover) made me really want to believe VW's "lifetime" rating on that belt :)
So I didn't bother, and 35k miles later it's still working.
Also why do you want to do the SECOND timing belt replacement at 130k?? That's the service interval, so if it was already replaced then you're good for another 130k.
Sorry for late reply been away all week.
I'm replacing the timing belt because it has reached 5 years old next month and vw used to say 80k miles or 5 years here in the UK.

Not sure if its changed on my engine or not as I have heard they have said 10 years on petrol but I'm not sure how true that is.
Don't want to take the risk as it will cost me a lot more in the long run.

Cheers