GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" wheels in exact fitment?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I know there are some 17x8 and 17x8.5 neuspeed wheels that come in exact fitment for the gti, but the 8.5 width are way too heavy for racing, and the 8 just aren't quite wide enough.

Does anyone know of any 17x8.5 wheels that will fit the gti exactly (hub bore and et45) that are under 17 pounds? I'd prefer under 15 or even under 13 pounds, but outside of going to a carbon fiber wheel at 4k per wheel i won't be able to see that. My budget is up to 700 per wheel. I'd prefer 300 per, but I doubt that will happen! Any good magnesium wheels out there that will fit this criteria?

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I wonder if you could get some Enkei RPF1's redrilled? I know they are 17 lbs in 17x8.5 size.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I wonder if you could get some Enkei RPF1's redrilled? I know they are 17 lbs in 17x8.5 size.

It's a thought. I think the enkei come in a very wrong hub bore, but worst case scenario it's an option. I'm even looking at custom forged wheels. The weird vw hub bore is the problem though

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a thought. I think the enkei come in a very wrong hub bore, but worst case scenario it's an option. I'm even looking at custom forged wheels. The weird vw hub bore is the problem though
I am running (8 each for summer/winter use) the Enkei PF01 wheels which replaced the factory 19-inch Cadiz and Bridgestone Potenza wheel/tire configuration which was awful. TireRack supplies the Enkei PF01 with aluminum hub adaptors, their part number is 'ANL750-571 Aluminum Ring' with circular spring retainer' and has worked perfectly. BUT... you must make sure they are properly seated and greased to promote ease of rotation during wheel mounting. I had one that was damaged by a so called tire/wheel mounting expert, while swapping my summer tires/wheels with winter tires/wheels.

They have otherwise performed perfectly for the past 23k miles and now three seasons of summer/winter mounting swaps.
-Rod

Swoope

Ready to race!
i run my oz superleggera 17 x 8 offset 45 5x114.3 with falken azeinas 245 40 17. with wobble bolts. have used wobble bolts for about 5k street miles and about 1k track miles on my old 15 pp gti.

no issues. the oz wheels weigh about 15.2 lbs. but really unless you are good enough to be pushing r compound hard i would not get all worked up about weight. the wheels i have came of a race car and where a great deal.

beers

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
i run my oz superleggera 17 x 8 offset 45 5x114.3 with falken azeinas 245 40 17. with wobble bolts. have used wobble bolts for about 5k street miles and about 1k track miles on my old 15 pp gti.

no issues. the oz wheels weigh about 15.2 lbs. but really unless you are good enough to be pushing r compound hard i would not get all worked up about weight. the wheels i have came of a race car and where a great deal.

beers

I'll be running in a time attack series this year, and hopefully in a couple hill climbs next year. On my WRX, there was a massive difference between a 17# wheel and a 16# wheel. R comp will definitely be on this car next year.

A few years ago I had a seized wheel because the steel hub rings expanded under heat. It took an hour of pause and a good mallet to get the wheel off.

This time around I'm trying to stay away from any improper fitment.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I found Forgestar makes 17x8.5 F14 in any offset that are 18 pounds per wheel. That's quite a bit more than I was hoping for and the hub bore is WAY off, but they're 2 pounds lighter than the 17x8.5 neuspeed. They're also a pound heavier than the 17x8 neuspeed.

Work said they'd be able to make me some 17x8.5 wheels with the right bore and 15.5 pounds per wheel, but at $1500 before shipping, it's a bit steep :/.

I guess I have to decide on criteria and decide what fits the need the closest:
1. Offset
2. Weight
3. Size
4. Hub bore
5. Price

F14 are close, and Neuspeed RSe05 are closer. Still looking for other options...

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I found Forgestar makes 17x8.5 F14 in any offset that are 18 pounds per wheel. That's quite a bit more than I was hoping for and the hub bore is WAY off, but they're 2 pounds lighter than the 17x8.5 neuspeed. They're also a pound heavier than the 17x8 neuspeed.

Work said they'd be able to make me some 17x8.5 wheels with the right bore and 15.5 pounds per wheel, but at $1500 before shipping, it's a bit steep :/.

I guess I have to decide on criteria and decide what fits the need the closest:
1. Offset
2. Weight
3. Size
4. Hub bore
5. Price

F14 are close, and Neuspeed RSe05 are closer. Still looking for other options...

If you want an OEM fit (no hub rings required) like what Neuspeed offers, there aren't too many others out there with 17" offerings. 18"+ is more common. The RSe05 at 17 lbs seems like a perfect fit for your needs in your budget. A good cast/flow formed wheel will cost you $200-300 per, but weights below 15lbs aren't common in that range. There are others like the Konig Hypergram that come in at 16.3lbs on a 17x8 but you would need hub rings.

Plus, you should consider strength/rigidity a priority with wheel weight a distant second. Nothing worse than getting a super light wheel that doesn't meet your needs on a track and having them fail.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
If you want an OEM fit (no hub rings required) like what Neuspeed offers, there aren't too many others out there with 17" offerings. 18"+ is more common. The RSe05 at 17 lbs seems like a perfect fit for your needs in your budget. A good cast/flow formed wheel will cost you $200-300 per, but weights below 15lbs aren't common in that range. There are others like the Konig Hypergram that come in at 16.3lbs on a 17x8 but you would need hub rings.

Plus, you should consider strength/rigidity a priority with wheel weight a distant second. Nothing worse than getting a super light wheel that doesn't meet your needs on a track and having them fail.

That's a very good point. It's been on my mind, and it's really the final veto on any wheel.

I keep coming back to the RSe05, and I'll likely end up going with it if I can't find a comparable 17x8.5. It's too bad it's an ugly shaped wheel, but at how cheap it is, and the fit, I can't argue much.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Does it have to be 17? How about 18's?

Titan7 T-S5 18x8.5 ET44, 17lbs, 57.1 bore, $500 each (*Fully Forged).

athos56

Ready to race!
^^^ very nice. I went with the RSe05, seemed like the sweet spot between weight and price and being easy to get.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Does it have to be 17? How about 18's?

Titan7 T-S5 18x8.5 ET44, 17lbs, 57.1 bore, $500 each (*Fully Forged).

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find any good tires in a wide size on the 18s, and tire price is significantly higher. the 17" r-comps and 200tw range have a lot more options in tires, and a significantly better price point.

^^^ very nice. I went with the RSe05, seemed like the sweet spot between weight and price and being easy to get.

which tires are you running? Liking them so far?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Check out CCW Classics. Lightweight, strong, and look great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Check out CCW Classics. Lightweight, strong, and look great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I only found one set of classics that come in 17". The others are all 15 and 16. I did find their corsair series wheels, which i think look a lot better and are a monoblock design, but they only come in 18". :(

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I only found one set of classics that come in 17". The others are all 15 and 16. I did find their corsair series wheels, which i think look a lot better and are a monoblock design, but they only come in 18". :(

You could always have BC Forged make you as set with whatever specs you want monoblock, 2-piece, any offset, any width, any bolt-pattern, any bore, any lug nut seat, and color. Mine took less than 5-weeks to be delivered to my door. Should be close to $700 a wheel for a monoblock 17.