GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wastegate actuator trouble

MrSaab

Car(s)
Golf TSI
this is not necessarily accurate, some go back to VW, most get thrown out. I get emails from techs all the time asking if i need cores ( i have tonnes of is12 cores as we do alot of wastegate repairs for people out of warranty).
Some dealers do nothing to the turbos, others smash the wastegates with hammers to destroy the rods and actuators. it's kinda sad really.
How common are you seeing this occur? Is the problem fixable? Does anyone make a turbo that doesn't fail as often as this?

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
How common are you seeing this occur? Is the problem fixable? Does anyone make a turbo that doesn't fail as often as this?
the most common problem is the wastegate mechanism seizes, it literally welds itself together. The piece that the actuator rod screws into welds itself to flapper arm and can't move.
I work for turbo parts canada and we have fix for this. We repair alot of is12s that have this problem. For any further info please email me at customerservice.tpc@gmail.com.

MrSaab

Car(s)
Golf TSI
the most common problem is the wastegate mechanism seizes, it literally welds itself together. The piece that the actuator rod screws into welds itself to flapper arm and can't move.
I work for turbo parts canada and we have fix for this. We repair alot of is12s that have this problem. For any further info please email me at customerservice.tpc@gmail.com
Interesting. Seems like such a "simple" failure.. is there a preventative solution to this problem? Fluid film? lol

MrSaab

Car(s)
Golf TSI
I suggest that you get a car without a turbo.
I thought this was a car discussion forum, not a snowflake forum of people who get their feelings hurt when you point out a flaw on their car.

I've been driving Saabs my entire life, and only once has a turbo failed. A garrett gt17 which fail like clockwork at 170km. Those failures were seemingly predictable. I'm trying to understand why some of these VW turbos go 150k and others go at 30k. A failure which could cost you 1500-$3500. I think this is worth discussing, but if you don't then you can keep scrolling on by, no one is forcing you to make a participation post.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I bought my car CPO - and saw that my turbo was replaced around the same time that my waterpump was - 87,000 km. Which is cool - when this one goes I'll go IS38,

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I thought this was a car discussion forum, not a snowflake forum of people who get their feelings hurt when you point out a flaw on their car.

I've been driving Saabs my entire life, and only once has a turbo failed. A garrett gt17 which fail like clockwork at 170km. Those failures were seemingly predictable. I'm trying to understand why some of these VW turbos go 150k and others go at 30k. A failure which could cost you 1500-$3500. I think this is worth discussing, but if you don't then you can keep scrolling on by, no one is forcing you to make a participation post.

It is a car discussion forum. And being that, you have to look at the audience. People on this forum are more likely to modify their cars. And while overall these cars are pretty reliable, you have to accept that part of modifying your car is a slightly higher chance of failure. Couple that with selection bias, that nobody is posting a thread going "Hey guys, just to let you know, nothing is wrong with my IS20. Thanks, carry on!". People post when there's an issue. So of course you read about more issues than non-issues.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It is a car discussion forum. And being that, you have to look at the audience. People on this forum are more likely to modify their cars. And while overall these cars are pretty reliable, you have to accept that part of modifying your car is a slightly higher chance of failure. Couple that with selection bias, that nobody is posting a thread going "Hey guys, just to let you know, nothing is wrong with my IS20. Thanks, carry on!". People post when there's an issue. So of course you read about more issues than non-issues.
He's like a car hypochondriac. 😂

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
The IS12 & IS20 actuators are garbage IMO. I am on my 3rd with my tune

Canecreekfreak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI sport
The IS12 & IS20 actuators are garbage IMO. I am on my 3rd with my tune
Back from the dead.

Are you changing out the actuators on your own? Are you doing just the actuator? If you're doing it, where are you getting them, and how are you swapping them out? TIA.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Back from the dead.

Are you changing out the actuators on your own? Are you doing just the actuator? If you're doing it, where are you getting them, and how are you swapping them out? TIA.

Well you missed ECS tuning sale this past weekend. Wastegate actuator was going for $175, Now its back to $240.

Yeah just replace the actuator itself.

I've done it on car ramps it's tight but I got it done. I remove my downpipe and through the space where the downpipe goes from underneath the car you'll have to reach in and unclip the sensor, remove 2 hex screws holding the Wastegate and also unscrew the Rod attached to the Wastegate arm.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Here's a visual from under the car with Downpipe removed.

IMG_20210629_190041__01.jpg

Screenshot_20230424-231557.jpg

NOTE: you might have TORX Screws not hex like mine.

It's not easy cause of how tight it is. In order for me to loosen the nut on the WG rod I had to use some Ikea furniture skinny flat wrench, 2 of them. I didn't have anything that small of skinny to fit.

Last edited: