GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What is your front camber? And what sway bar end-links are you using?

Is the sway bar tab/ end link making contact with the inner fender?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
What is your front camber? And what sway bar end-links are you using?

Is the sway bar tab/ end link making contact with the inner fender?

2.6, stock sway bar end links. I didn't see any wear marks on the fender. I don't think it would cause this much noise too. Its a loud, deep, metal/metal sound with a small vibration too. Will see if I can get a video tomorrow.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So you trimmed your dust shields. Right? Is that catching/rubbing somewhere?

The only other thing is the pads still need to wear in to make full contact with the rotor. but I would not expect these to make that much noise.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Has anyone installed the ECS Master Cylinder Brace? This is meant to reduce the deflection when applying the brake.

With the amount of DE’s I do, I decided to order one. Simple enough install and if it helps with brake modulation and brake feel. Then that is a win.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The Grand Course is an absolute blast. Extremely technical with elevation changes and blind turns. My PB is a 3:05, but that was on brand new NT01s on a frigid day. My goal is low 3s, and possibly high 2s.
You are right there with the 2022 R. And if VW has not upped their braking game, I’d think the R’s brakes would start to fade towards the end of a session.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You are right there with the 2022 R. And if VW has not upped their braking game, I’d think the R’s brakes would start to fade towards the end of a session.

Pretty sure the 22 R has bigger brakes than the R.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Pretty sure the 22 R has bigger brakes than the R.

Upped to 357mm from 340mm. Also looks to be a semi two piece rotor and have better ventilation. The design looks similar to the CSS rotor.

Considering I have had no brake issues with the stoptech 355mm rotor with 2 piece rotors, if the 2022 R brakes have a good selection of pads, they might be formidable on track.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Upped to 357mm from 340mm. Also looks to be a semi two piece rotor and have better ventilation. The design looks similar to the CSS rotor.

Considering I have had no brake issues with the stoptech 355mm rotor with 2 piece rotors, if the 2022 R brakes have a good selection of pads, they might be formidable on track.

I think you're right, it'll come down to pad choice.

I wonder if the R brakes will squeeze into a 17" wheel? I doubt it, but a boy can dream.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That would help explain the large LapTime difference. Did they go to a 4-piston caliper? Or just a larger pad caliper?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That would help explain the large LapTime difference. Did they go to a 4-piston caliper? Or just a larger pad caliper?

I think it's a two piston sliding caliper, but I could be wrong.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
ECS Brake Booster Brace. Anyone?
I found some photos to go with my earlier post.

9AC2BB68-64E6-405C-9335-39797D6EB64C.jpeg
D86943E5-89A1-4805-BAF1-1CD9B4719DA7.jpeg