GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
They acknowledged in the article that they went a couple of seconds faster on another "undocumented" lap. He definitely lost time by being offline for turn 10 on that one.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Yup he was way offline. OK. I didn’t read the article. Just watched the video.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I've often wondered how "qualified" the drivers are of these kind of tests. Especially with cars like the Senna from a couple years ago. They are all certainly better than me! :)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just let Randy Pobst do all the timed laps and call it a day.

Too much variation in drivers.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just started watching lightning lap. Never noticed that they did that at VIR. So now we can compare forum cars to those

ll-historicalresultlist-graphics20222-1644242208.png

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Interesting. I’ve not driven the grand course. I’ve tried attacking the uphill esses at VIR and ended with the same results as Car and Driver. Running out of front end grip at the top and understeering through T9 to the point you are off-line for T10 and have to compromise corner speed.
I now back off a little going up the esses. Arrive a T9 in control. Gas it to the T10 turn in and carry 10mph more speed through T10. Truth be told, with my mods I should be carrying the throttle more up through the esses.

I think that C&D could have gone faster with some practice.
I was nervous to push too hard up the esses for that exact reason...getting offline/understeering through turn 9 and not set up for turn 10. That video shows that issue well.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
There are not a lot of good exit strategies if things go wrong on the uphill esses.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I posted this over in the STH thread, but some in here might find it helpful too.

So my experiment with slotting the strut tower to get more negative camber is over, and if you're using standard diameter front springs, it just doesn't work well.

After last event, I started to get a clunking nouse in the right front. The spring was contacting the strut tower and caused the top strut nut to come loose.

The whole time during this experiment, I'd get terrible noises when turning the wheels, like the bushings were binding.

Today. I tightened the strut nuts and backed off on the camber I'd dialed in with the slotting, it's as quiet as stock now, no awful noises.

Went from -2.2 to -1.8, so lost -0.4. I should gain that back with the offset bushings.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thank you for posting.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Speaking of binding noises…

I trimmed back my dust shields and flipped pads in my brakes on Saturday. Now when reversing and turning the wheel to the right, I am getting this crazy sound from the passenger front wheel. It sounds like a whale call. I took the wheel off today and didn’t see anything rubbing or any debris, and verified everything was tight. Sprayed everything out with brake clean. No clue what it could be. Any thoughts?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Speaking of binding noises…

I trimmed back my dust shields and flipped pads in my brakes on Saturday. Now when reversing and turning the wheel to the right, I am getting this crazy sound from the passenger front wheel. It sounds like a whale call. I took the wheel off today and didn’t see anything rubbing or any debris, and verified everything was tight. Sprayed everything out with brake clean. No clue what it could be. Any thoughts?

I was having issues with wheel weights hitting brake deflectors.