GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
By the time all of the work was done I was looking at 800$ CAD. Ouch.

Yeah... next time, source the parts yourself and take it to a local independent hat specializes in VW/Audi. You’ll save 50% and there’s a much lower likelihood they’ll over/underfill the DSG bc dealer techs have a bad reputation with bad DSG flushes

LLAVES

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Nope, dimmer no longer dims. I assume that function is routed through the original cluster, and the functionality wasn't put in the aftermarket one. One of the small compromises that had to be made.
Agreed, I prefer the digital cluster but it is finicky at first. I also wonder if/how they do software updates. I prefer it dimmer at night but can live with it. EZ Retrofit seem to be very responsive to input but dimmer function probably isn’t possible.
Now to get the panel back in place.

I live in Germany and would LOVE to get a TCR but can’t bring it back CONUS.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
pic is lame.

Installed BMS turbo inlet pipe.

yay

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Brakes installed, bled with RPF600, super easy! 18’s are on now, need to get my 17’s with snow Torres rebalanced to have the weights in a different spot to clear the caliper. First short drive, they feel great! Still have the stock 272mm rears that come on the Golf S 4Motion wagons, may throw some better pads in there eventually, but with the 328mm front Stoptech’s, the balance should be fairly close.

I helped the kid that bought my PP fronts install them on his non-PP GTI. The brakes felt better than they do in the PP. I'm wondering if the PP rears are too much with the stock MC.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I know this is off topic, but got rental Kia Nero till my new 6spd is in. Great little car.

One really weird anomaly.
Steering wheel volume is up for up and down for down, but tuning right next to it is down for up and up for down. WTH. Who creates these systems and how many people signed off on it thinking this is ok?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Steering wheel volume is up for up and down for down, but tuning right next to it is down for up and up for down. WTH. Who creates these systems and how many people signed off on it thinking this is ok?
It was a gamer.......

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
Wasn't today - in fact it was before Christmas but my browser kept blocking access to the forum so here I am.

I finished my first full detail on my GTI (after 18 months ownership. Turned out really good and I am glad I just went with the "use the old stuff I forgot I had in my garage" detailing supplies because 1. I had more supplies than I remembered and 2. Despite most of it being 4-6 years old, it all worked great. At some point in 2021 I will resupply and also invest in new towels, mitts, etc. so you will probably see me asking about that sometime in the detailing section of the forum.

It was a lot of work but so worth it and I appreciate the added connection with the car you get from going through it. I plan on doing a FULL detail 1x year moving forward and a 3/4 detail (basically the same as full but with no polish) 1x year and more maintenance washes and waxes/sealant between.

I don't have much patience for taking quality pictures but here are some.

After finishing up, the minor hail damage suffered in August (quoted $490 to repair back then) is more noticeable so I will probably take it in to get fixed. There are only really 3 main dings that I noticed and at first I didn't think it was worth it (ripping the headliner down, etc.) but I notice them more now. Apparently there 15-20 smaller dents - per the inspection but I can't see them other than maybe detecting a slight "ripple" in the surface in certain light.

I also noticed a crack at the front left corner of the sunroof surround so make that sunroof issue #2 (constant squeak being the other one). Looks like I am due a visit to the VW dealer to get that replaced.

Lastly, I noticed the aerial kind of got hazy following the detail rather than looking more shiny like the rest of the gloss trim. I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time but gave it a look in better light while gassing up today and it looks like there is a film on it and it is that that is hazing up. In some spots it looks like it is starting to peel. Does any body know if the aerial comes with a protective film on it? If so, looks like mine is still on it!!!

IMG_2854.jpgIMG_2851.jpgIMG_2853.jpgIMG_2866.jpg

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Where did you tap into?

Plan on doing the same with my dash cam this weekend.
I used the 20 amp fuse for the 12v plugs. In all of the charts I have seen it is, SC40.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
FINALLY got my amp and sub wired up and installed! Killer bass with the 10" Dayton/JBL combo. I will go back later and see if I can make the wires look .....better....but it's all zip tied and hidden under the floor for now.

C4558EC8-1B68-4C70-A32C-876DCBD4C262.jpeg
9FE4A263-9953-4FAB-ADF2-D85CE3172B9A.jpeg

Last edited:

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
I was distracted today chatting to the wife while filling up and accidently put 87 in the car. I have a NPM that is set for 91 so mad at myself for doing it. Am sure it will be fine but I will be taking it easy for the next 1/2 tank until I can get some 93 in it to get closer to the required octane.

My butt-dyno may not as... sensitively calibrated... as many of you guys but I def. can feel my GTI being sluggish. Possibly just feels like stock now.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Had a scare last night! Started my car and while I was letting my car warm up a bit, I started to smell fuel. Looked out my driver side window and see this! 😲
20210107_182109.jpg

Luckily this happened while the car was just idling. I couldn't imagine what would of happened if this fuel line came off during my drive home on the highway.
20210107_182041.jpg

Home Depot to the rescue 😁
20210108_100729.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That is frightening, nice catch though. I once rented a diesel Mercedez Van on a work trip. Some of my co-workers had mentioned a slight fuel smell for a few days, which we ignored. One day the smell went from faint to excessive while we were idling at the work site, watched 1/8 of a tank disappear from the gauge before shutting it down. On the bright side, the thing had wild vibrations. With my arm sitting on the driver arm rest my fitibit registered over 20,000 steps a day. I was in great shape, haha.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Had a scare last night! Started my car and while I was letting my car warm up a bit, I started to smell fuel. Looked out my driver side window and see this! 😲
View attachment 199040

Luckily this happened while the car was just idling. I couldn't imagine what would of happened if this fuel line came off during my drive home on the highway.
View attachment 199041

Home Depot to the rescue 😁
View attachment 199042
Ho-le-shit.

That's scary. Glad you were able to recognize it and fix before there was a serious issue.