GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 FORMULA 1 SEASON

n0thing

Passed Driver's Ed
Ferrari has done everything they possibly can to lose this championship. They've pissed away so many points. Vettel doesn't trust them anymore and I'd wager they're probably tired of Vettel second guessing everything they say as well (right or wrong). There's still time for craziness to happen and for them to turn it around though. They'll need luck on their side.

Thank god for 13th place battles as I would have turned the race off otherwise. Agreed on Perez deserving a ban as that was the most dangerous move I've seen done in a long time. Even moreso than Vettel on Hamilton in Baku as that was done at lower speeds.

Pretty nice drive by Alonso/McLaren to capitalize on mistakes made by other teams and pull out some points. McLaren has killed Vandoornes career. Hopefully he makes it over to Indy as I'd love to see more F1 washouts head that way and spice up the racing even more.

I'm really curious to see how Red Bull/Honda works out. Renault has said that Red Bull goes against their packaging recommendations and it causes reliability issues with the engine. Yes the Renault has issues, but other teams haven't had the issues Red Bull has had. McLaren went against Honda recommendations and look what happened to their car. Brundle put it well when he said if this relationship doesn't work out we'll likely see one less team and one less engine maker in F1.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Ferrari’s showing cracks in its armour. But we can’t let that take anything away from Lewis, especially if he wins the DC.

The last two races are examples of why I am a HUGE fan. His off track lifestyle isn’t my thing, yet despite it, he does not crack under pressure! His performances are even forcing others to make mistakes when Ferrari was forced to pit Seb with ultras that lead to his tire-nursing race coz Lewis hammer-timed purples in all sectors. INSANE!

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
It’s Championship permutation time, folks.

I’m taking my wife to Europe (London, Paris & Rome) from Oct 6-21. I believe if Lewis wins Sochi and Seb DNF’s, then a win from Lewis in Suzuka means we get celebrate in London for his 5th!

A Guinness for Lewis!

n0thing

Passed Driver's Ed
Rumors state Kvyat and Wehrlein will be driving the Toro Rosso next season.

C'mon over to Indy, Ocon!

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
They are certainly in a funk.
I think the only way that they can come out on top at this point, is if they complete every race error free (driving and strategy), and Hamilton makes a few mistakes or even a DNF or two.
That is the only way I see Vettel winning the title this year.
Hamilton has really been at the top of his game both on the track and in his head.
There is no denying that.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I honestly think Ferrari needs a top-down nmanagement overhaul. Going back to an old pundit critique of Arrivebene, he came from Marlboro. What does he know of running an F1 team?

Though probably not entirely his fault, he was a Marchionne appointment. Though the former Chairman of the FCA, he did not have a racing background unlike Luca.

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Not the best race especially when tainted with a team order.

Can’t wait for Leclerc to be a thorn in Seb’s side next year.

And it finally dawned on me: Otmar is the physical manifestation of a smarter Peter Griffin!

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
You know it's bad when the race winner and the winning team aren't really celebrating the win. I get why they did it but was it really worth an added 7 points on Hamilton's lead? Bottas has proven himself to be a true team player, so I hope the team remembers that when it's time to renew his contract.

I don't know what Mercedes has done to neutralize the massive power threat Ferrari had at Spa, but at this point Ferrari's domination looks more like a fluke than something concrete.

Part of me was hoping for rain before Max came in to pit given how strong his first stint drive was.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
It’s Austria 2002 all over again! As a kid who didn’t know better, that race made me hate Ferrari.

Fast fwd to yesterday and I still hate it when it’s done for a win. But like Toto said: “I’d rather be the bad boss than the stupid one.” Was it worth it? We’ll find out in 5 races.

As a Lewis fan, I can tell you that things wouldn’t have been this harmonious had Bottas been what Nico was. Lewis respects Bottas this much only because he isn’t fighting for the DC. It’s sad, but its safe to say we all have that darkness inside us in competition.

Last edited:

n0thing

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone with a brain knew they chose Bottas because he was going to be a safe #2 guy. Frankly I don't feel bad for him because he's already been used as a pawn before. This was a no-brainer from a strategy standpoint.

Lewis passing Vettel like he was standing still was a power move if I've ever seen one. Ferrari had the car to beat for most of the season but they've been out-developed by Mercedes and that move showed it. Ferrari still would have stood a chance for the DC had they not committed stupid move after stupid move earlier in the season. If Mercedes had their feet to the fire there's no guarantee they'd be as smooth and efficient as they are right now. They have it in the bag. I guess a lot of their surge in speed is thanks to a redesigned rear wheel which helps keep the tires cool? I thought the wheels they were using looked pretty crazy and that's why.

I've been impressed with Ricciardo in the past but he's really phoning in this season at this point. It doesn't sit well with me to be honest. Driver of the day was definitely Max. It's nice to see him really putting in drama-free drives now (meaning he isn't bashing his way to the front). Such an impressive drive from him during a race where both Hondas retired on the same lap. Next season is sure going to be interesting.

McLaren might as well let Alonso hop out of the car and start getting Lando up to speed. The car is 100% useless.

Overall, Russia was boring yet again.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Best part of the Russian GP:

Putin: Don’t drench me in champagne like three years ago.
Lewis: No, that wasn’t me. It was someone else.

Lol.

Last edited:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Scuderia with yet another tactical blunder, starting Q3 at Suzuka on inters while MB-AMG went with supersofts and beat the rain in the first 3 minutes.

Hamilton with pole #80 of his career.

Vettel drops from an expected 3rd to 9th. Yeeouch.

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Oh I wish this could end in Japan.

Taking my wife to London, Paris and Rome and we’re leaving today at 15:00 PST. We arrive in London just after the race :( Regardless, a Guinness for Lewis coz he’ll likely wrap it up before we return on Oct 21st.

On a more serious note, I predict Vettel will pull an Alonso within the next two seasons if Ferrari doesn’t stop screwing up. Granted, Vettel had his faults too.

Enjoy the race!

Last edited: