GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning

19 r

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got the JB-4 with bluetooth and a harness purchased off fleabay. Don't know if the harness was from someone here or someone else, but it works.

I'm very pleased with the JB-4. Other than more power, I can't tell it's there - smooth ! Bluetooth gets me gauges on my phone. And, hopefully it can be removed for warranty work (there's some debate as to whether the stealership can tell its been there or not).

I'm currently running a 91 octane map while burning 93 (no 91 here). Will probably try the 93 octane map, or the custom, come spring (get back on summer gas). But, being in no hurry to put a clutch in, I probably run the 91 map most of the time.

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
Maybe he got banned?

Apparently, some forum sponsors were mad that he was selling a non-negligible volume of goods without being an approved vendor. If you contact him directly (however you manage to do so), he'll probably still help you out.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
He's still on here, took a break from making them but feel free to reach out to him via PM.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Dealer equipment cannot tell if you had a piggyback as long as you physically remove it. The only value saved on the ECU that I know of that could have an impact is the long term fuel trim. I tried looking at mine every week stock but lost interest. It seemed to read pretty high even without a piggyback. I never tried checking with a piggyback installed. If you have VCDS you can monitor the LTFT. I don't know if OBD11 can. Even if it causes the LTFT to read high, it seems according to the following video that if you reset the values and drive the car for a few minutes they will lower to "normal" levels. It's always a good idea to buy the VCDS cable since there is a lot you do with it for only about $200.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Dealer equipment cannot tell if you had a piggyback as long as you physically remove it. The only value saved on the ECU that I know of that could have an impact is the long term fuel trim. I tried looking at mine every week stock but lost interest. It seemed to read pretty high even without a piggyback. I never tried checking with a piggyback installed. If you have VCDS you can monitor the LTFT. I don't know if OBD11 can. Even if it causes the LTFT to read high, it seems according to the following video that if you reset the values and drive the car for a few minutes they will lower to "normal" levels. It's always a good idea to buy the VCDS cable since there is a lot you do with it for only about $200.

This was super informative. I may just purchase a VCDS cable just because the live data capture is better than OBDEleven.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
The no splicing thing is half true for Jb4. It comes with a wire tap, which I personally wouldn’t use on anything ever.

But, a forum member or two here sell a small harness to avoid having to tap into the actual factory harness

this is what i did and it was great. the customer support for Burger and Jb4 is excellent also. they respond to emails within minutes sometimes. i will say that jb4 if you run even map2 some people get DSG clutch slip and if you are manual don't expect your clutch to last long. I ultimately went with COBB and it is by far the best tuning option out there in my opinion and the traction control itself alone is worth it. I had EQT tune my car both ECU and DSG and it is absolutely perfect and I am super picky about my car.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I have JB1s on my R and my wife's B9 A4 and have been really happy with them. The JB4 offers more capability, but I didn't want to deal with the marginally more complicated install, nor did I think my clutch would be happy with any additional horsepower.

I'm probably jinxing myself, but with over 10K on my R, I have yet to experience clutch slip, although I'm sure it's inevitable.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This was super informative. I may just purchase a VCDS cable just because the live data capture is better than OBDEleven.

Found out the hard way that OBD11 doesn't work without internet. Another reason to pick up vcds in the future.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
VCDS doesn't require internet?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I used my friend's VCDS back in the day without internet. Last night I was working on a car in an underground garage and couldn't use OBD11 because of lack of data service.