GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommended replacement app connect head unit for GTE MY15

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
They removed initially but as they couldnt see the E mode and Hybrid mode as well as experiencing a few faults with charging, they han to revert back to the original unit.

E-mode and Hybrid mode are gone when you upgrade your GTE from MIB1 to MIB2. They need to update the Gateway firmware and FPA (driving profiles) dataset as well. Without this, the Gateway which operates the driving profiles doesn't speak the same "language" as the MIB, so you won't be able to switch.

It should be no problem that it's a former Polo headunit. Switching to a different headunit won't work, the problem is with your gateway. Gateway is early-GTE, while you should have 2016-GTE firmware/dataset. It might help to find a GTE that already had MIB2 from factory, and check what gateway firmware/dataset is on there. Unfortunately, I have retrofitted a 3Q0 gateway (MK7.5), so I don't know what you need for the 5QE gateway... but the solution for the drivin profiles is there :)

daveonf

E-mode and Hybrid mode are gone when you upgrade your GTE from MIB1 to MIB2. They need to update the Gateway firmware and FPA (driving profiles) dataset as well. Without this, the Gateway which operates the driving profiles doesn't speak the same "language" as the MIB, so you won't be able to switch.

It should be no problem that it's a former Polo headunit. Switching to a different headunit won't work, the problem is with your gateway. Gateway is early-GTE, while you should have 2016-GTE firmware/dataset. It might help to find a GTE that already had MIB2 from factory, and check what gateway firmware/dataset is on there. Unfortunately, I have retrofitted a 3Q0 gateway (MK7.5), so I don't know what you need for the 5QE gateway... but the solution for the drivin profiles is there :)
Cheers Chillout. The reason they gave me the 5QE part number was because they looked at a GTE that was in their garage and got the part number from it. This is one with with a sat nav fitted but mine does not have a satnav anyways.
so if I’m understanding you correctly, VW should be able to perform the update on the gateway or can this be done elsewhere?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Cheers Chillout. The reason they gave me the 5QE part number was because they looked at a GTE that was in their garage and got the part number from it. This is one with with a sat nav fitted but mine does not have a satnav anyways.
so if I’m understanding you correctly, VW should be able to perform the update on the gateway or can this be done elsewhere?
Maybe contact this Ebay seller, they might not be able to help but worth a shot!
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/193185500732They are based in redditch worcestershire, so not very far from you, They fitted a colour instrument cluster to my very long gone MK5 golf and did it without issues,
Www.vw-retrofit.co.uk

Last edited:

daveonf

Maybe contact this Ebay seller, they might not be able to help but worth a shot!
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/193185500732They are based in redditch worcestershire, so not very far from you, They fitted a colour instrument cluster to my very long gone MK5 golf and did it without issues,
Www.vw-retrofit.co.uk
Just contacted him and he quoted £650 for installation and coding. He supply the headunit (Mib 7.5 i believe) and screen as well. comes with satnav too.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Just contacted him and he quoted £650 for installation and coding. He supply the headunit (Mib 7.5 i believe) and screen as well. comes with satnav too.
If he can activate all the functions correctly such as eMode and hybrid then that sounds like a reasonable price to me for supply and fit?, Especially if it’s the later screen/system.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Yes, so what you need is:

5QE gateway
2016 firmware
2016 FPA dataset

daveonf

Yes, so what you need is:

5QE gateway
2016 firmware
2016 FPA dataset
Just had a look and I do have the 5QE gateway module. Gonna have to check what firmware version is installed. Also for some reason a am unable to view FEC or SWaP codes when I press and hold the menu button to go to the service mode. Only option present are Software update/versions and HMI versions.

Attachments

• E98164AA-B361-4DC2-B3D8-0F4036097169.jpeg
    E98164AA-B361-4DC2-B3D8-0F4036097169.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 172

daveonf

Www.vw-retrofit.co.uk
so
If he can activate all the functions correctly such as eMode and hybrid then that sounds like a reasonable price to me for supply and fit?, Especially if it’s the later screen/system.
I finally got it fitted by Alex at Www.vw-retrofit.co.uk really straight forward work. He replaced my original head unit with one that has Nav (3Q0035874A) as well as activated appconnect and voice command which i didn't have. I opt not to replace my screen as he was offering me a 6.5" screenwhich would replace my 8" glass screen. Everything works well except for Car Net which will not work for my car anyways.
One final thing I noticed was that the navigation turn signals did not show up in the cluster whilst using the car navigation to guide me. All thats there is "No Sat Reception" however when using Car Play for navigation, the Compass is displayed with the Street name on the bottom. Not a big issue for me as Waze is the ideal choice for nav IMO.

All in all really worth it as it puts a sense of purpose to my travels.:)

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Glad you got it sorted, Alex definitely knows his stuff.