GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fat Shawn’s 2019 GTI Build

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
BRUTAL....so sorry! I hope you guys recover and are alright.....watch your girlfriend....concussions are no joke and can take awhile to really see the side effects. My wife's was horrible, but a worse accident. Have her limit screen time and if she gets headaches watching TV or has trouble tracking with her eyes, she def has one.

Sucks to happen after such care was taken to mod, but if you're safe, the car did its job.
Went to the ER last night after the cops left. No concussion just a lot of back and neck pain. The car did it’s job and even drove it home.

She was so sad that it was my car just because she knows how much I love it but all I could tell her is as long as we’re ok I couldn’t care less about the car. Sure it sucks but we walked away mostly uninjured.

Worst part of this whole thing is the guy at fault has no insurance. I have full coverage on my end that includes uninsured so that’s a huge plus. Really hoping the rear pan isn’t bent or anything that’ll total the car.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Super glad to hear! Just keep an eye on that pain and mobility for the next few weeks.

Damage to me doesn't look like a total.

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
IMG_0852.jpeg

Small update from body shop. Still looking decently savable. Still have to check the rear rail. Currently doom-scrolling for an R just in case, found a black 2018 in FL but really do not want a black car lol.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Sorry to hear that. Congrats on the Golf R. I'm no expert, but that price seems great for a 2018. How many miles?

And the Rotis will look great

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
way too many miles…

But yes, while GTI are waay cooler… the R is a better starting point for putting down the power.
Yeah the mileage is high but it’s the only 7.5 I’ve seen that isn’t 30k+. That car is the 4th cheapest listed in the country on cars.com.

Not sure what I’m gonna do. Everyone telling me to just lease something but idk. Really don’t wanna be out of a GTI/R. Just frustrated now.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Yeah the mileage is high but it’s the only 7.5 I’ve seen that isn’t 30k+. That car is the 4th cheapest listed in the country on cars.com.

Not sure what I’m gonna do. Everyone telling me to just lease something but idk. Really don’t wanna be out of a GTI/R. Just frustrated now.
what about staying with a GTI, pull all your mods off of current car and put on the car you bring in? Or are you saying even GTI's are 30k+?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I was just looking for a bonus GTI to daily and MK7's can be had for $14k-$18k pretty easily. Not sure what condition they are in but they're much cheaper
My Skyline midlife crisis almost started happening when I saw that mine might go for 30k+ LOL

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Glad your ok, sucks about the car. With replacement car just follow what you really want. Interesting on the +35 Rotiform fitment, I tried this as my first aftermarket wheel attempt and they were also Rotiform's. It was epic fail as the 18x8.5 +35 would not even allow suspension travel as the tire made contact with the fender about 1 1/2 inches from the sidewall. Tires were 225/40. To this day I think I got a misconfigured set and I never got a chance to dive too deep into the mystery because as the car sat in the driveway waiting for me to decide what to do, the wheels were stolen that night. A week later I got a new set of Roti's in +45, and I had the opposite problem this time, and had to add 10mm spacers. So confusing lol but it only confirms I think that first set was actually a +25 spec.

MQB_7.5R

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Golf R(s)
I would recommend having the Black Golf R checked out before buying. Earlier this year, I purchased a 2018 Golf R (also black) with 113k miles to be my daily. I checked the compression and timing stretch, along with a thorough look at the suspension / any leaks. Wheel bearings are notorious for going out, so be aware of that. Check the service history of the car too!

Check out page 5 of my build thread for more details. MQB_7.5R Build Thread

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
what about staying with a GTI, pull all your mods off of current car and put on the car you bring in? Or are you saying even GTI's are 30k+?
If I have the opportunity to "upgrade" I'd wanna get an R tbh. Was already in a 7.5 Autobahn, don't see a lot of them in any surrounding state.

Springs are a loss but I'm getting my wheels back for sure. Those are basically all I have done not counting badgeskins and stickers.
I would recommend having the Black Golf R checked out before buying. Earlier this year, I purchased a 2018 Golf R (also black) with 113k miles to be my daily. I checked the compression and timing stretch, along with a thorough look at the suspension / any leaks. Wheel bearings are notorious for going out, so be aware of that. Check the service history of the car too!

Check out page 5 of my build thread for more details. MQB_7.5R Build Thread
If I got the R, I'd get the extended warranty like I did on the GTI and have it looked over quickly after I bought it. The GTI was in almost perfect condition mechanically with 70k and change when I bought it. Service history is clean from what I can see with CarFax