GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Replacement Questions

Ethan

Warning I’m a bit of a noob so bear with me:

Hey everyone,

It’s been a rough couple days! My car started slipping on a stage one tune at right around 6k miles. I drive semi-aggressive on weekends but keep my cool most of the time, and have never really burned the clutch or anything.

I flashed back to stock and it seems okay, still some slip in higher gears though. My mechanic suggested I go to a VW dealership and try to get it under warranty, but they said it was a wear item and I couldn’t.

Anyways — what clutch should I get?

I like the feeling of a heavy-ish clutch but feel like stage 3 will be too much to still enjoy.

I just got a BFI knob and think they’re a great company with high quality parts, should I go for one of their clutches?

I wouldn’t stage three because I feel like that’s overkill and want to keep the spirit of my little gti almost stock with a bit more punch.

Any recommendations?

Thanks everyone(I know this was unnecessarily long sorry :( )

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I always recommend going with a clutch that’ll leave you room to grow.

Stage 1 usually makes about 400ft lbs of torque give or take so many clutch options are only rated for that or even less. Stage 2 and above usually are limited to 410-450ft lbs so you’re kinda splitting hairs since most will eventually want more and require the capacity of a “stage 3” clutch.

I run a DKM MS Twin disk and have zero complaints in 35k miles with it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Another option is the Sachs clutch kits. There is a full face and a 4 puck version.

I have the 4 puck unsprung on my car (rated to over 600lb). Generally it's well behaved, but it makes some noises when taking off and shifting 1-2, but I expect any paddled unsprung clutch to do the same.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Many peeps have recommended the hst rsr clutch for stage 2 and lower. There's even a YouTube channel called StealthGTI where the guy runs one with his apr stage 2. Supposed to be very stock-like in feel.

I hope it's g2g because I have one sitting in my garage waiting for spring Temps and more daylight so I can put it in. I started slipping here and there not long after going stage 2. Was very mild until yesterday when I floored it at 2000rpm in 2nd and my tach shot up to redline and the smell of demons filled the cabin. My God, the stank!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Many peeps have recommended the hst rsr clutch for stage 2 and lower. There's even a YouTube channel called StealthGTI where the guy runs one with his apr stage 2. Supposed to be very stock-like in feel.

I hope it's g2g because I have one sitting in my garage waiting for spring Temps and more daylight so I can put it in. I started slipping here and there not long after going stage 2. Was very mild until yesterday when I floored it at 2000rpm in 2nd and my tach shot up to redline and the smell of demons filled the cabin. My God, the stank!

If you are going to continue to do that, you need a clutch made of the ceramic tiles they used on the space shuttle.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
As others have said, you can’t floor it at 2,000 RPM in high gears.

I just put in the HS Tuning RSR Clutch Kit this weekend, DMFW so it’s stock like.

Heard that the clutch pedal is super stiff when installed and it will soften up quite a bit.

To be honest the OMFG this is stiff mode is totally fine, no more stiff than my old 996 911.

Should be perfect when soft.

Still in my 1,000 mile break-in... 25 miles in.

This is going to be a long few months. ???

On a side note I also put in the Euro Audi S3 short shifter, holy hell its amazing!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
As others have said, you can’t floor it at 2,000 RPM in high gears.

I just put in the HS Tuning RSR Clutch Kit this weekend, DMFW so it’s stock like.

Heard that the clutch pedal is super stiff when installed and it will soften up quite a bit.

To be honest the OMFG this is stiff mode is totally fine, no more stiff than my old 996 911.

Should be perfect when soft.

Still in my 1,000 mile break-in... 25 miles in.

This is going to be a long few months. ???

On a side note I also put in the Euro Audi S3 short shifter, holy hell its amazing!

The S3 short shifter is pretty nice. That boomba short shift adaptor is garbage IMHO.

UroTuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
There is several options out there. Southbend clutch being one of the most popular. DKM as well has been a great seller. I would recommend stage 2 or stage 3 clutch. The pedal feel you described is close to what both options offer and give you room to grow for stage 2 full bolt on or IS38. We are a sponsor of this group, feel free to send us a message. We can confirm availability and get you setup for the item as well.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Going wot in 2nd gear ar 2rpm should in no way affect the clutch like that. Perhaps in 4th or 5th yes, but not 2nd or 3rd.

Id say you got other issues going on or install issues.

Edit: nvm, i thought this was with the new setup and not the clutch which was already slipping.

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
If you are going to continue to do that, you need a clutch made of the ceramic tiles they used on the space shuttle.

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to go WOT at 2k in 2nd. The clutch should hold that all day long. In a higher gear, yeah no way.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I read these threads because I assume it's just a matter of time before my clutch starts slipping, but after 10K with the JB1 I've been "lucky" to have not had slip. But I never, ever, ever, floor my car unless I'm north of 3K. First gear excluded, of course.

Was very mild until yesterday when I floored it at 2000rpm in 2nd and my tach shot up to redline and the smell of demons filled the cabin. My God, the stank!

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
As someone with a southbend stage 3 daily. I say that pedal effort of SB stage 3 + clutch assist spring is about 30% more effort than stock + no assist spring. But honestly this is the effort that I think should be with the car since stock feels like nothing and sucks all the fun out of a manual.
Also the pros of a SMF are more fun to downshift with if you don't mind the cons.
Also stage 3 leaves you room for upgrades in turbos etc. I don't know about BFI's specifically but they are cheaper I guess.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
There is no reason you shouldn't be able to go WOT at 2k in 2nd. The clutch should hold that all day long. In a higher gear, yeah no way.

There's a bunch of reasons not to do this and it's poor technique regardless of what the clutch should be capable of.

Gassing it hard down low is just asking to bog down. If you've added more power from a tune or piggyback it really behooves you not to do this.