GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Isn't the sec width what the manufacturer publishes and the tread width what TR measures? Shame they're getting sloppy, though, since that's a measure I rely on regularly :(.

The ZIII is exclusive to TR so they are the only source for specs. The tire is not listed on the Dunlop site. It could have been Dunlop's error too. Dunno .

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Correct me if I’m wrong. My understanding of section width, is the outside dimension bulge to bulge. Tread width is the useable contact patch of tread. Wear indicator to wear indicator. Some tires are very square, little difference between the section width and tread width, while others have more radiused shoulders. That was my understanding of the two dimensions.

Kinda sucks if Tire Racks data is inaccurate.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Correct me if I’m wrong. My understanding of section width, is the outside dimension bulge to bulge. Tread width is the useable contact patch of tread. Wear indicator to wear indicator. Some tires are very square, little difference between the section width and tread width, while others have more radiused shoulders. That was my understanding of the two dimensions.

I understood sec width as the published "standard size" where it's just the imperial measure of the mm "size" on rim, which is why they're all basically the same, and tread width was what tirerack actually measures as the "real width". I got this from a grassroots article some time back, if I recall, but not sure how accurate that is...

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
fwiw, my 17x9 +45 wheel gives me almost no clearance to the strut in the front. We're talking something like 6mm (next time i have the car in the air I can check that for you). According to tirerack a 255/40/17 mps4s is 9.1" wide while a 245 hoosier is 9.7". I fit a 245/40 DZ3 with some clearance, and that's an 8.8" tire. On a 9" wheel, I think a 245 hoosier won't exactly fit and you'd rub on the strut, but on an 8.5" wheel you might get away with 1mm or maybe 2 of clearance. I say this assuming both would be 45 offset, that the 8.5" wheel would sit exactly the same (meaning 0.25" narrower on inside and outside of the wheel), and that the inside and outside of the wheel have the slightly offset mounting. Visually it makes sense in my head, but do tell me if i need to explain it better, lol!

What's interesting is that your chart has the 255 a052 and 255 dz3 as similar width with the yoko being a touch narrower, but when i mounted my 235/45/17 yoko it was a touch wider than my 245/40/17 dz3. I know they're different sidewalls, but it's interesting.

So the main reason for posting was to see what is the largest 17” slick I can safely stuff under the fender. Was using Cliff’s experience with past and present wheel fitments as a guide.

My initial request for a 17” Apex wheel spec was for a 17x8.5 et 45.
Basically a middle of the road wheel size that could accommodate a range of track friendly tire sizes, without creating major fitment issues and negate the need for wheel spacers and be BBK friendly.

My RSE16 17x8.5 et45 fits With the 255-40-17 NT01’s. 8.8’ tread width and overall diameter of 25”. There is a little clearance to the front strut on the inside. On the rear it has rubbed the paint off the fuel filler guard. I’m assuming due to tire deflection under cornering.

I need to decide between:
17x8.5 et 45
or
17x9 et 45 (does this need to be an et40 offset?)

The biggest clearance issue is the right rear on the stock GTi. The R’s have a little extra wiggle room at the back. The R’s and regular GTi’s have the same front fender clearance from what I understand.

The 9” rim is better for a 245 to 265 tread-width tire, giving a better tread width contact patch, at possibly the expense of fitment issues. Cliff is running 18x9’s without any clearance issues on the front struts.

I noticed that there is a fair difference in tread width between the 35 profile 18” to the 40 profile 17”. The A052’s are similar, but there is a sizable difference between the RE71R’s.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Gordan, its better to check strut clearance on Rhino ramps with the coilovers compressed. Suspension in full droop, doesn’t give a true reflection of inner strut clearance.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I would pass on hoosier slicks if i were you. Stick to michelin, pirelli, or continental.

I‘m using the Hoosier and BFG tire sizes to gauge fitment more than anything else. Tire Rack doesn’t’ have Michelin slicks listed. I’ve used Michelin take-offs in a previous life and they were bleepin awesome!

Trying figure out whether to go with an 8.5 or 9” wheel, when the Apex group buy kicks off.
Heck, I may just buy two 9” wheels and two 8.5” for the rear.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I‘m using the Hoosier and BFG tire sizes to gauge fitment more than anything else. Tire Rack doesn’t’ have Michelin slicks listed. I’ve used Michelin take-offs in a previous life and they were bleepin awesome!

Trying figure out whether to go with an 8.5 or 9” wheel, when the Apex group buy kicks off.
Heck, I may just buy two 9” wheels and two 8.5” for the rear.
If you want to run meaty slicks I would go with a 8.5, if you want to slightly stretch the slicks go with a 9. Unless you have super slim dia springs I would guess you would end up rubbing.

Everyone I know has moved from pirelli to michelin take offs. The hoosiers like to "slip" on the wheel, you can mark it and watch it literally spin around the wheel after X sessions due to movement under braking.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

More or less, and tread width is a measurement that TR performs using a proprietary device that they describe on their site.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I believe that Apex wheels have knurled bead seats to reduce tire slip on the rim.

I’m guessing those Pirelli and Michelin take offs are 18”......?

I need to make a note to mark my rim and tire.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I believe that Apex wheels have knurled bead seats to reduce tire slip on the rim.

I’m guessing those Pirelli and Michelin take offs are 18”......?

I need to make a note to mark my rim and tire.

Even with the knurled bead they still slip like mad, thats just how that tire works. Yes they run take off 18's.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Brake Ducts
So my winter project begins. My CSS front swivels finally arrived. I’m using a 3“ oval stainless tube for the connection. Packaging and placement will be a challenging puzzle. Will connect to a 3” flex brake hose And route to the front grill.

This will also provide a little radiant heat protection to the ABS sensor, tie rod ball joint, wheel bearing and lower ball joint.

0CF936F6-8EC6-4216-B6B0-1EF939AD73FA.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Brake Ducts
So my winter project begins. My CSS front swivels finally arrived. I’m using a 3“ oval stainless tube for the connection. Packaging and placement will be a challenging puzzle. Will connect to a 3” flex brake hose And route to the front grill.

This will also provide a little radiant heat protection to the ABS sensor, tie rod ball joint, wheel bearing and lower ball joint.

View attachment 162567
Nice!!

You're beating me to it, and I'm jealous! I'll get to mine sometime in spring.

Did you end up choosing a pre-fab backing plate to trim or are you building your own entirely?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Building from scratch. Making a cardboard template to figure out the positioning of the oval tube and the angle required in relation to the upright.
Draw it all up in Fusion 360. Get the backing plate cut on a water jet. Profile cut the oval tube and get it welded up.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Why not just hit the easy button and do GT3/2 ducts with trimmed heatshield?