GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
At least with the manual, it's a struggle to put power down, even with 255 super 200tw tires.

Just get into tracking and autocross if you want to really spend money. 3 sets of tires a year. Oh yeah.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
MOTHER

FUCKER

I swear the universe knows when things haven't gone wrong for a while, and just has to be like "LOL LET'S CHANGE THAT!!!"

On my way to Boston last night with a buddy, had a rock hit the windshield with a pretty hefty 'dink!' noise. No apparent damage at the time.

Drove to the office this morning, and noticed a crack around the tinted section with the dots by the mirror. FUCK.

1638457718541.png

That little black mark is where I marked it with a sharpie when leaving the office. It grew that little bit in about a mile or two.

After about another 10 minutes of driving, already over by the edge of the sensor.

1638457795499.png

You can see the point of impact and the crack spreading from the outside.

1638457870137.png

Car is now parked until I get the windshield replaced. I have a call in to the dealer, and have to wait for a "specialty advisor" to call me back to let me know how much I have to pay for them to shove it up my butt without lube. Just for fun, I checked Safelite mobile, which was right at $400. But I've heard too many horror stories about third party installers and glass messing with the sensors, so I really don't want to go that route. I don't think I have glass coverage on my insurance. What kind of quote should I expect from the dealer?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
MOTHER

FUCKER

I swear the universe knows when things haven't gone wrong for a while, and just has to be like "LOL LET'S CHANGE THAT!!!"

On my way to Boston last night with a buddy, had a rock hit the windshield with a pretty hefty 'dink!' noise. No apparent damage at the time.

Drove to the office this morning, and noticed a crack around the tinted section with the dots by the mirror. FUCK.

View attachment 231820

That little black mark is where I marked it with a sharpie when leaving the office. It grew that little bit in about a mile or two.

After about another 10 minutes of driving, already over by the edge of the sensor.

View attachment 231821

You can see the point of impact and the crack spreading from the outside.

View attachment 231822

Car is now parked until I get the windshield replaced. I have a call in to the dealer, and have to wait for a "specialty advisor" to call me back to let me know how much I have to pay for them to shove it up my butt without lube. Just for fun, I checked Safelite mobile, which was right at $400. But I've heard too many horror stories about third party installers and glass messing with the sensors, so I really don't want to go that route. I don't think I have glass coverage on my insurance. What kind of quote should I expect from the dealer?
Call insurance just for shits and giggles and check. I didn't think I had it either, but turns out I did.

Sorry this happened man - this is a huge pain in the ass with these cars.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Call insurance just for shits and giggles and check. I didn't think I had it either, but turns out I did.

Sorry this happened man - this is a huge pain in the ass with these cars.

I'm actually on hold with my insurance now.

And yeah. it's more of dealing with the pain in the ass than anything.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Definitely check with your insurance company, mine directly covered my Safelite repair of the OEM windshield when I got an unexpected rock chip. I can still see a very minor bit of where the chip was, but I'm very much alright with it. I've heard though that if you can get the Sekurit Saint Gobain glass as a replacement, it's top notch.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Your clutch will last for a good while at stage 1 if you follow some simple rules. Don't launch the car hard or with a lot of slip and don't go WOT in 5th and 6th gear. I don't go over 1/4 throttle in 5th and 6th. I'm at 22,000 miles 6 track days, 40+ autocrosses, had some slip once after alignment kid probably beat on it on test drive. I'm planning on replacing the clutch in the spring, but the clutch isn't going to evaporate at stg 1 if you drive like an adult.

yup - I’ve had 3 stage 1 tuned manual VWs in the last 8 years and never had a lick of clutch slip.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So, it would be covered by insurance. But it's my standard deductible, which is $750. So chances are, not worth going through the insurance lol.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So, it would be covered by insurance. But it's my standard deductible, which is $750. So chances are, not worth going through the insurance lol.
You never know. There are shops out there that cover the deductible for you.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So. This's all getting taken care of, will be fixed Monday. Here's what I've gathered from browsing around the forums.

Safelite is hit or miss. Some are fine, some are not.

Dealers don't replace the glass themselves, they sub-contract it out to local companies anyway.

Started searching around for an independent shop in RI, not some place that's a national chain like Safelite. Found this place, which from what I can see is the highest reviewed shop around.

1638460412734.png

They asked quite a few more questions than Safelite did. "Do you have a sunroof? Do you have rain sensing wipers? Do you have lane departure? Etc., etc.", so I kind of feel more confident they'll get the right glass in.

$300 cash price.

So, now that is getting taken care of, next question?

Is it safe to drive for the few days? Obviously not logging at 100mph+, but just normal day to day errands? I was worried driving back to from the office my windshield was going to spontaneously shatter like tempered glass (which really doesn't make any logical sense), but watched this video and the dude drove with crack across his entire windshield for 8 months. Really, the biggest thing I need it for is this Saturday. It's my sister in laws baby shower, and I was tasked with picking something up (I think a cake?) and dropping it off at the venue along with my daughter. Just don't know if I should be driving the car or leaving it parked. Everything else, I can just take my wife's car.