GOLFMKV

VW Golf MK7 Estate, GT spec, Tungsten Silver, 1.4TSI

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
October 2018
Part 4

I decide to sort out once & for all two items which I have not been 100% happy with.

The car came will all LED interior lighting..except for the glove box light & the rear boot light. Now the glove box light is a straight swap out & replace with the footwell LED unit which I did when I got the car. The boot light did not have a straight LED replacement light unit, & I still currently can’t find an OEM LED version! VAG appears to be using several of the footwall LED units in the bigger top end car boots!

So when I got the car I fitted a good LED “bulb” (Philips X-treme Vision LED 43mm festoon). However this always remained dimly lit when the ignition was on, or off & the cars main ”X” relay had not timed out. This is because the light is powered directly from the BCM & not the lock switch. So the light is “told” to switch off instead of a mechanical/physical break in the wiring like a switch! This means there is a very small milliamp supply still in the cable from the BCM which would not be enough to light the OEM incandescence bulb, but is enough to light the LED! Now I knew that the best way around this was a resistor to stop the milliamp supply, but I never found out the correct resistance & wattage to use in this situation, & the web was filled with conflicting “facts”.

So wind forward 4yrs to now, & this “mod” has been tried even more times on the web, so the facts are clearer! Basically in this situation a 1000ohm 0.25watt resistor is the most suitable, & wired across the “bulb” contacts. As the resistor can generate a very small amount of heat (0.25W) I decided to wire the resistor across the LED bulb itself & through the built in heat sink. This heat sink is electrically isolated so safe for the resistor to sit in. This also means the resistor is covered by two metal items, the heat sink & the OEM reflector. Result?....it works..no more dimly lit LED!...:cool:

Another item that was annoying me was the wheel bolt caps. I had removed the chrome ones I fitted with these wheels, as the chrome paint was coming off, & then I got the bolts ELNP. That plating lasted about one winter (17/18) & looked really bad, so I fitted a spare set of cheap gloss black bolt caps which I have been using this year. The look actually suited the car, was OEM, & had “grown” on me. So I had a look around for VAG wheel bolt caps & found that under the Skoda brand they make plain 17mm bolt caps in five different colours & in short length & long length! The long length (for deep recess) I had on a previous car, so knew the quality, so ordered a whole pack of the short length in matte black. These look 100% better & fit my standard aftermarket bolts perfect, plus a true OEM part! I chose the matte black as all the plastic at this level on the car is matte black, the gloss black is only above the bumper level.

On a Final note I bought the OEM radio removal tools from my dealer parts dept as the web search was throwing up cheap stuff with reviews of “very bendy”, which I have had before & hated!! VW Radio release tool T10057 (Part No. VV 038 390 37 EA) set of four £16.36, solid & well made! I used these to remove the infotainment head unit in the glove box to check the optical data bus connection between it & the amp under the passenger seat (I have Dynaudio sound system). I have previously been getting very intermittent fault codes for “fault connection optical data bus sound system”. So I removed the connectors at both ends & inspected, all ok now, but we’ll see how it goes!..

PA260185-reduced-and-signed.jpg

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting about the trunk (boot) LED. I've heard this from other sources as well. This is happening because the BCM controls all the light channels using pulse width modulation (PWM) to regulate the output power to the light circuits. This is what allows the brightness of each of the 30 channels that make up the lighting system to be dialed in by programming. Rather than a simple on/off contact, or an old fashioned resistance-based rheostat, the power is digitally "chopped" up at high frequency (by essentially being pulsed on/off at high rate), which is far more efficient (no heat loss to resistance). I'm guessing what's happening here is that the PWM circuitry is "leaky", in that when the BCM is told to cut power to a particular light channel, the modulation drops to the lowest possible duty cycle (setting the programming to "0" brightness), but it probably leaks a few milliamps even in its lowest duty cycle.

As for the infotainment unit, I don't have dynaudio or fender so no optical bus (base system + OEM Helix sub/amp upgrade), but I'm constantly getting various DTC codes of all sorts from this unit. I just reset them and they invariably come back. But I have zero problems with the unit itself.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Interesting about the trunk (boot) LED. I've heard this from other sources as well. This is happening because the BCM controls all the light channels using pulse width modulation (PWM) to regulate the output power to the light circuits. This is what allows the brightness of each of the 30 channels that make up the lighting system to be dialed in by programming. Rather than a simple on/off contact, or an old fashioned resistance-based rheostat, the power is digitally "chopped" up at high frequency (by essentially being pulsed on/off at high rate), which is far more efficient (no heat loss to resistance). I'm guessing what's happening here is that the PWM circuitry is "leaky", in that when the BCM is told to cut power to a particular light channel, the modulation drops to the lowest possible duty cycle (setting the programming to "0" brightness), but it probably leaks a few milliamps even in its lowest duty cycle.

As for the infotainment unit, I don't have dynaudio or fender so no optical bus (base system + OEM Helix sub/amp upgrade), but I'm constantly getting various DTC codes of all sorts from this unit. I just reset them and they invariably come back. But I have zero problems with the unit itself.

I knew it was the BCM, as I looked into it when I got the car 4yrs ago & did the mod, just the info on the correct resistor & why that particular one...was missing..anyway found a post where someone did the back calculations based on 14.4V supply with engine on...& also worked it out on 12V fixed...all made sense & I had the correct resistor in my box of electronic parts...

& the infotainment unit in my case has only ever thrown up this one fault code...I recon one of the optical cable plugs was not 100% into the socket ..anyway we will see..

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
In for the ride and education[emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
In for the ride and education[emoji41][emoji106]

Thanks..

I know I can go on a bit, but I try to cover all the "ins & outs" of why the way I have done something..or the component selection etc is best....

some people just state "I did this with this item"..& no explanation..which then usually raises 100's of questions afterwards....not me as you can gather!!..:eek:

:cool:

Pretzel1

Ready to race!
Thanks..

I know I can go on a bit, but I try to cover all the "ins & outs" of why the way I have done something..or the component selection etc is best....

some people just state "I did this with this item"..& no explanation..which then usually raises 100's of questions afterwards....not me as you can gather!!..:eek:

It's all good info Dave.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Thanks..

Always useful info Dave, this topic is one of the most fun and informative ones to read!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
November 2018

Now 4yrs old!!

A bit late with this post due to being busy with other stuff!!

The car is now 4yrs old (picked up 31st Oct 2014) & I thought I’d list the specification of the car as it is right now. Obviously some of these modifications supersede previous mods, which are not mentioned below.

EDIT:-
February 2020

This single post, will from now on, be linked to, & altered so it is the complete & up to date list of the car's modifications.
List last EDITED February 2024

Standard UK specification (key features):-

Sports suspension lowered by 15mm (includes 24mm dia.x3.8mm front ARB (PR code 0AE), & 18.5mm dia.x2.5mm rear ARB (PR code 0BM)), so stiff front & soft rear!
Heat insulating tinted (65%) glass from “B” pillar backwards
Front sports seats
Low profile rear headrests
Alcantara & cloth fabrics
Titan Black interior colour
Silver roof rails
Cherry red rear tail lights
LED rear number plate lights
LED, ambient, foot well, & reading lights
Remote controlled folding door mirrors with reverse activation & LED puddle lights
Parking sensors front & rear
Front fog lights
Discover Navigation
Leather three spoke steering wheel with multifunction buttons
Rain sensor & auto dimming rear view mirror
Adaptive cruise control
Front assist radar sensor
City emergency braking system
Auto driving lights with dusk sensor
Driver profile (Mode) selection
Electronic Parking brake (handbrake)
XDS electronic differential
Stop/Start function
Battery regeneration function

Factory fit (special build) options purchased:-
Rear view camera
2Zone dual climate control
Climate (heated) front windscreen
Winter pack (heated front seats & washer jets)
Advance telephone prep (connection to car aerial & USB connectors)
Dynaudio sound system (better speakers, amplifier, subwoofer)
Bi-Xenon & LED DRL lighting package
Model & engine badge delete
Colour MFD screen
230v socket in boot
Side airbag system for rear seats & rear seatbelt pre-tensioners
Smoking pack (ashtray & different 12v socket)
Metallic paint (Tungsten Silver)

Retro-fitted items & modifications I have done

VW (genuine) items made for the Mk7 Golf :-

Mudflaps, front & rear
Plastic liner tray for boot with rear seats up.
Carpet mat for boot with seats up or down.
Cargonet for boot
Reversible extending boot mat
Warning triangle for hatch
Fire extinguisher bracket on front drivers seat, instead of drawer
40yr Golf anniversary window sticker
Gloss black rear window fins
Reinforced front skid tray
Front exhaust tunnel tray
Rear exhaust tunnel tray
98RON Fuel flap sticker
GTE engine cover for top of engine
GTE front slam panel air intake rear left blanking plate & front right open plate.
Coolant expansion tank cap from 2018yr< models, as easier to turn
Rubber EVAP hose from 2016yr< models, as no noise.
Plastic end panels for rear of front wings from Mk7.5 models, & OEM foam section retained with bottom 3cm removed
Bigger battery cover
GTD gearshift knob & gaiter. (Gearstick metal shaft cut down instead of fitting correct shorter shaft).
LED light for glovebox using unit from footwell as direct fit for glovebox
ESC button, for direct access to function
TPMS button (VW China), for direct access to function
2x USB charging ports in rear end panel of centre console (VW China)
312mm front calliper carriers (GTD & DCC spec cars)
Pin with rubber bush removed & solid pin fitted on front brake calipers (bush can cause problems)

Genuine VAG Items from other VAG cars which directly fit the Mk7 Golf:-
Audi A3 rear subframe harmonic damper
Audi RS3 front brake air ducts
Audi S3 jack pads, front & rear
Audi Q7 screenwash tank cap with proper hinge
Audi TT metal gearshift relay lever
Audi/Skoda MQB platform front passenger seat ISOFIX bracket with cover.
Skoda Yeti chrome exhaust tail pipe trims (cheaper than VW).
Skoda wheel bolt caps, short length, matt black
VW MK4 Golf metal side to side lever on gearshift mechanism
VW MK8 Golf rear lower wishbone, aero covers
VW Passat rear axle under tray
VW Passat wheel centre caps
VW Passat LED door exit warning & puddle lights, front doors only
VW Tiguan front subframe cover
VW Touareg cigarette lighter 12V socket LED rechargeable torch

Aftermarket (non-VAG) items made for the car:-
R.G.M. (for VWUK) Big cover for tow hitch cut-out in rear valance.
R.G.M. door sill protectors in black
R.G.M. rear bumper protector in brushed alu’ look
Weathertech front & rear footwell trays
Bosch S5 AGM 70Ah, 760A battery
Lifeline Zero 360 (halon type) handheld 1kg fire extinguisher
SHOFT seatbelt grip device
Door hinge covers, black plastic (eBay China made)
Dynaudio badges on all doors (eBay China made)
Cornering light bulbs H7 (Osram Cool Blue Intense 4200k)
Fog light bulbs H11 (Osram Night Breaker Unlimited)
LED bulbs, white, for reversing lights (Osram LED Driving SL, W16W)
LED bulbs, red, for tail/stop & rear fog lights (Osram LED Driving SL, W21W)
LED bulbs, amber, for rear indicator lights (Osram LED Driving SL, WY21W)
LED bulb for rear boot area (Phillips X-treme vision 43mm festoon C5W 6000K with resistor mod to turn fully off!)
Team Dynamics, Pro Race 1.2 multi spoke 17x7 x ET45, 625kg (1,387lbs) load rating, alloy wheels in met’ silver with 225/45R17 Michelin Primacy 3 summer tyres. Weights = 7.8kgs (17.2lbs) per alloy rim, 18.8kgs (41.5lbs) including the tyres.
Team Dynamics, Pro Race 3, five spoke 17x7 x ET45, 710kg (1,565lbs) load rating, alloy wheels in met’ silver with 225/45R17 Michelin Alpin A5 winter tyres. Weights = 8.2kgs (18.1lbs) per alloy rim, 19kgs (42lbs) including the tyres.
ECS Tuning, rear stress bar, stage 1, (top bar only)
42 Draft Designs, metal shifter bushing set (cable eyes)
42 Draft Designs, brass shifter relay lever bushes (for pivot point)
42 Draft Designs, metal shifter bracket bushes (for bolting cable bracket to gearbox)
Dieselgeek, delrin gearstick shaft bushes (for spring on shaft under gaiter)
Dieselgeek, "Superpin" (to replace plastic pivot pin under gearstick gaiter)
DEI “Reflect-A-Gold” metallised polymer foil heat shielding to coil pack wiring
Zircotec “Zircoflex” 1SA ceramic coated aluminium foil heat shielding to air intake & turbo pipework (cold side).
Stainless steel mesh grill behind the lower grill in bumper (to protect A/C condenser from stones).
Revo, Stage 1 remap, set to Performance Mode "B" (98/95RON).
I.T.G. (VW RacingLine) washable foam replacement panel, engine air filter
Meyle HD front ARB drop links
Brembo, “Max” grooved front discs 312mm
Brembo, plain rear discs
Brembo, plain R90 pads front & rear
Castrol Edge, Titanium FST, 0w40, A3/B4 engine oil to VW 502 00 spec (fixed service)
Millers Oils, Motorsport gear oil CRX 75w NT+.
Bosch, spark plugs
Mann, “Active Carbon” cabin air filter
Shell V-Power fuel only!!
Gtechniq, Crystal Serum Black, ceramic coating.
Gtechniq, coatings/products etc used everywhere else on car, & for maintenance.

VCDS mods:-
Rain closing for windows
Recoded hatch unit reversing/tail/fog light bulb type to "LED up to 6W"
Recoded stop & tail lights to
Recoded rear indicator lights to
Recoded dimming values of stop/tail lights to
Recoded rear lights in hatch to turn off when hatch opened (so you don’t blind yourself with the LED number plate lights)
Recoded front DRL’s to 50%, 78% (was 20%) when as running sidelights
Recoded front DRL’s to dim to minimum setting when indicators are on
Recoded front fogs to be flash beam when Xenon’s are off (saves the Xenon ignitors) Put back to factory as people don't "see" when I flash the fogs!!
Recoded foglights as coming/leaving home lights
Recoded ESC button function to GTI spec
Recoded ABS unit from 288mm to 312mm front brakes
Recoded ABS unit from "up to 110kW" to "132kW to 165kW" power output as the Revo tune is circa 134kW to 146kW
Activate auto coming home
Display in MFD of car range based on fuel in tank
Display in MFD of “R” honeycomb background
Display in MFD engine oil temp
Display in MFD SOC of battery
Display in Climate control knobs of fan speed setting when in AUTO
Code heated seat memory function for both seats
Change number of indicator blinks to four
Code Alarm beep lock/unlock to display options in infotainment
Code opening/closing of windows from key fob
Change headlight washer intervals
Disable seatbelt warning chime
Disable ignition on warning chime
Disable Stop/Start function using voltage parameter.
Adjust fuel gauge consumption readout to 1% accuracy (was 7%) based on brim to brim fills over 3000miles.
Several other coding options that I can't remember right now!!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
October 2018

Again a bit late with these!!

These pictures are from a series that I took of the car after I had thoroughly cleaned it & done all the servicing, brake work, & swapped over onto the winter alloys.

Looking its best in the late autumnal sun! :cool:

I also include some shots of the interior as I haven't shown this before. European "Sports comfort seats" (Q4H) in Alcantara & cloth, & the standard European low profile rear headrests.

OMD10550-16-9-ratio-crop reduced.jpg
OMD10540-16-9-ratio-crop-reduced.jpg
OMD10571-reduced.jpg
OMD10572-reduced.jpg
OMD10562-reduced.jpg

Last edited:

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Again a bit late with these!!

These pictures are from a series that I took of the car after I had thoroughly cleaned it & done all the servicing, brake work, & swapped over onto the winter alloys.

Looking its best in the late autumnal sun! :cool:

I also include some shots of the interior as I haven't shown this before. European "Sports comfort seats" (Q4H) in Alcantara & cloth, & the standard European low profile rear headrests.
Dang those seats look great!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dang those seats look great!

Standard fit on GT spec (European Highline)...not as full on bolsters as the "R" seats & the Alcantara & cloth swaps positions compared to "R". Same gloss black dash as "R". :cool:

vedant

Did you always get the “piano black” center dashboard for mk7 Golfs? Here in America it used to be brushed-aluminum-looking but changed to the piano black for MY2018 and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Did you always get the “piano black” center dashboard for mk7 Golfs? Here in America it used to be brushed-aluminum-looking but changed to the piano black for MY2018 and on.

Mine is a 2014 GT spec...& all GT spec have since 2013 launch had the gloss black trim...the lower spec trims get the brushed alu look...

GT is the top trim spec here...called Highline in Europe....GTD/GTE/GTI/R/Alltrack…. are all stand alone models...

the lower specs are called S/SE/Match & other names

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking great! I always love an update to your thread. :cool:

I have to say I love these seats too, I'd have them over leather any day. It's often one of the first comments when friends get in my car. I'll never forget from another VAG guy - 'Oh you have the nice VW seats...'

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Looking great! I always love an update to your thread. :cool:

I have to say I love these seats too, I'd have them over leather any day. It's often one of the first comments when friends get in my car. I'll never forget from another VAG guy - 'Oh you have the nice VW seats...'

Thanks....

& yes although I was not looking for fancy sports seats.. these help my back..& I 'wouldn't swap them for anything else!!:cool: