GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I get rear main seal replaced?

beanbag

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
2018 Golf R Manual with 45K miles. At some point soon I will get the clutch replaced due to Stage 1. What to do about rear main seal?
I think the current OEM version is 06K103171P. Is it newer than the one I already have?
One mechanic said that if it looks dry, just leave it alone. Mine isn't leaking yet (as far as I can tell from the outside). I was thinking of just buying another OEM one and handing it to the mechanic, along with all the other clutch parts, "in case".

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Don’t touch it! I wish I woulda left mine alone lol

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Personally I'd change it while the trans is out. Everyone likes to think their mechanics know what they're doing but if you had issues after replacing it, it's 100% the fault of the mechanic that did it likely not using the VW install tool. I've done dozens of them and never had one leak.

beanbag

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Thanks for the replies. After some more digging around, it seems that the current version of the OEM one (with "double lip seal"?) was released around 2021. I wonder if that was around the time that the leaky RMS complaints stopped? (Not counting due to bad PCV) I feel a little bit bad for that IAbed guy as his product is probably no longer needed.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Personally I'd change it while the trans is out. Everyone likes to think their mechanics know what they're doing but if you had issues after replacing it, it's 100% the fault of the mechanic that did it likely not using the VW install tool. I've done dozens of them and never had one leak.

While I don't disagree, but if the iABED is that touchy that the failure rate is pretty high, it's really not worth the gamble when the revised OEM works.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
While I don't disagree, but if the iABED is that touchy that the failure rate is pretty high, it's really not worth the gamble when the revised OEM works.
It's that touchy purely because it was brought out as an upgrade and every joe schmo on the forum wanted to do it because #racecar most of them probably just slid it on without the tool and thus...leaks. then they post about it as a manufacturer defect. The iabed rms is quality, it's the novice home mechanics that gave it a bad reputation.

There's people on here swearing by using a friggin 2x4 to install suspension on here...... That should give you an idea of the level of mechanics everyone thinks they are.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
You should waste money on the iabed to ensure it leaks. Keep your local mechanics employed.
Literally what happened to me, can’t believe everyone was passing that on as a necessity

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I have an IABED RMS in my A4 (EA888.2) for the past few years (installed when clutch/flywheel were done) and it hasn't had an issue. Wouldn't hesitate to put one in the GTI

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
So leave it on = no risk
Change it = risky

Idk I’ve spoken to people who have had multiple installs with a failure every time. I think if you’re gonna change it just do oem, otherwise just leave it in.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I just went with the updated oem style seal when I did my RMS on my gen 1 ea888. Really didnt seem necessary to get anything else for a <300hp car and its much cheaper, easy to install and I only did it cause the original failed.